mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Gold Bar Rim & Blue Dot question

I rode Gold Bar Rim several years ago (early 2000's) - up the Gold Bar Rim 4x4 and then followed the cairns along the rim edge. There wasn't any paint, so when I started hearing about Blue Dot singletrack and looking at some maps I saw, I thought this was a completely different singletrack from the RIm singletrack, one that got you off the Gold Bar Rim 4x4 trail up to the rim edge.

So I'm heading out there next week and was planning on doing Mag 7 and Gold Bar Rim/Portal, but as I started looking into it it appears that the Gold Bar Rim singletrack may be considered part of Blue Dot and closed? I haven't found anything that is terribly clear regarding it (can't find any maps showing what the Blue Dot trail alignment really is) and would like to know, because I don't think Golden Spike is worth doing for the constant elevation gain/loss and we need to figure out where to drop our shuttle cars (maybe at Gemini Bridges trailhead lot rather than Portal lot).

Thanks for any info that might help...

Paste eater
    Cliff notes:
    Blue dot is most certainly illegal. It's also incredibly technical. Do people still ride it? Yes. Will you get fined? Possibly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My question is more what exactly is the Blue Dot route - does it coincide with the Gold Bar Rim singletrack that I rode years ago or not? Anyone got a map that shows it?

I also don't remember it being super technical - maybe that's just the faded memory... I don't remember it being any harder than Rockstacker/Jackson's.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Gold bar single track is not part of Blue Dot. As long as you stay off of BD which is clearly marked closed multiple times, you don't have to worry about a ticket. Just follow the mag7 route to portal and you're legal. Gold Bar single track, and GB double track at times run right next to blue dot, but you don't have to worry about a ticket.

I'm still not clear on how closing BD helps sheep? There's jeeps running all over that area and at times right next to BD. It's a real shame it's closed because BD has some of the best tech moab has to offer. I wish it was never blazed and remained an off the radar trail. Just goes to show you, keep the good stuff a secrete or risk loosing it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Gold bar single track is not part of Blue Dot. As long as you stay off of BD which is clearly marked closed multiple times, you don't have to worry about a ticket. Just follow the mag7 route to portal and you're legal. Gold Bar single track, and GB double track at times run right next to blue dot, but you don't have to worry about a ticket.
    So the singletrack that runs right along the rim from the the first overlook clear over to the Portal is still there and legal? Sorry I keep asking the same question, just worded differently, but I read your response and thought that you might mean the "new" Gold Bar RIm singletrack (part of new Mag 7 trails) that runs from Little Canyon Trail to the Bride Overlook (not up to the top of the rim) and not the older cairned singletrack along the top of the rim. Here's an old GPS track I found of the trail I was talking about along the rim - this is from before the Mag 7 trails existed, so the "new" GB singletrack and Little Canyon aren't on this.

Is the singletrack along the rim blazed or still just cairned?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gold Bar Rim & Blue Dot question-ut-goldbar_rim_east.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by manitoumtbr View Post
    My question is more what exactly is the Blue Dot route - does it coincide with the Gold Bar Rim singletrack that I rode years ago or not? Anyone got a map that shows it?

I also don't remember it being super technical - maybe that's just the faded memory... I don't remember it being any harder than Rockstacker/Jackson's.
    I think BD is more tech because there's lots of awkward technical ups right into short tech DH. There's also multiple line options some much harder than others. BD has a bunch of drops too, some right next to serious exposure. Stacker, Jackson's def has some great tech, I don't feel BD is that much more technical, but it's different enough where it's tough to compare those trials to each other. I think most riders will find it much harder to ride all of BD first time without screwing up a line, and may need to scout a few lines before committing, whereas a good tech rider would have no problem cleaning every line on stacker jackson's first time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So the singletrack that runs right along the rim from the the first overlook clear over to the Portal is still there and legal? Sorry I keep asking the same question, just worded differently, but I read your response and thought that you might mean the "new" Gold Bar RIm singletrack (part of new Mag 7 trails) that runs from Little Canyon Trail to the Bride Overlook (not up to the top of the rim) and not the older cairned singletrack along the top of the rim. Here's an old GPS track I found of the trail I was talking about along the rim - this is from before the Mag 7 trails existed, so the "new" GB singletrack and Little Canyon aren't on this.

Is the singletrack along the rim blazed or still just cairned?
    The singletack along the rim is illegal. That's blue dot. It's blazed now, you probably rode it years ago before it became blue dot. I used to refer to it just as gold bar, and didn't know what people were talking about when they talked about blue dot.

I wasn't totally clear on your question. I thought you were worried about the gold bar single track which is part of mag7 overlapping the illegal BD trail. To be legal, you need to follow the gold bar single track/jeep rd to portal, but like Jwind said, people are still riding BD, and you may risk a ticket if you choose that route.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    The singletack along the rim is illegal. That's blue dot. It's blazed now, you probably rode it years ago before it became blue dot. I used to refer to it just as gold bar, and didn't know what people were talking about when they talked about blue dot.

I wasn't totally clear on your question. I thought you were worried about the gold bar single track which is part of mag7 overlapping the illegal BD trail. To be legal, you need to follow the gold bar single track/jeep rd to portal, but like Jwind said, people are still riding BD, and you may risk a ticket if you choose that route.
    OK, thanks for the answer - good to know. Yeah, I always just called that ride Gold Bar Rim too and also didn't know what Blue Dot was (obviously).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    OK, thanks for the answer - good to know. Yeah, I always just called that ride Gold Bar Rim too and also didn't know what Blue Dot was (obviously).
    You'll probably find BD is a bit different than the lines you may have rode in the past. I know I never rode the rim exactly the same one year to the next.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Let's put it this way and see if Jwind and others agree...

If you're on the rim and having fun on singletrack, it's Blue Dot and illegal. If you're slogging up and down on black rubber jeep tracks, it's Gold Bar and totally legit.

The tricky part is route finding onto the end of Poison Spider and then back up to Portal. It's fairly easy to wander around in that area. The Golden Spike climb to the Portal is not particularly easy to find.

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 04-13-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Let's put it this way and see if Jwind and others agree...

If you're on the rim and having fun on singletrack, it's Blue Dot and illegal. If you're slogging up and down on black rubber jeep tracks, it's Gold Bar and totally legit.

The tricky part is route finding onto the end of Poison Spider and then back up to Portal. It's fairly easy to wander around in that area.

JMH
    Yep. Pretty much sums it up. Big horn sheep certainly are up that way. And ya, as previously mentioned, it doesn't make much sense to close blue dot as Gold bar is right there. At times they are quite close - like practically on top of each other.

Part of me wonders if they just really don't want people riding it as it's really quite dangerous. There are plenty of areas on that trail that you could find yourself on your way down to 191 in a hurry.

DSC00984

DSC00975

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Part of me wonders if they just really don't want people riding it as it's really quite dangerous. There are plenty of areas on that trail that you could find yourself on your way down to 191 in a hurry.
    You mean like here?
    Spring break 09 033

Or here?
    Spring break 09 032

I suspect that's part of the excuse for keeping it closed. Seems like a couple little reroutes would keep it safer though. Such a good trail (I hear).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    You mean like here?
    Spring break 09 033

Or here?
    Spring break 09 032

I suspect that's part of the excuse for keeping it closed. Seems like a couple little reroutes would keep it safer though. Such a good trail (I hear).
    Love those lines! Here's a video that shows that drop with the BIG drop off to the rider's left.

Storming the Portal on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That "Storming the Portal" vid is crazy!
    I walked a lot of that b/c the penalty for failure is death.
    And riding that when WET is insane!
    I've been on Portal a few times.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Glad I got some pics of people riding that last line before they laid down all the blue paint on it, bet the BLM was less than stoked about that. Really takes away from an amazing overlook.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member

Rode this last wekkend...

looked something like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gold Bar Rim & Blue Dot question-photo-apr-14-11-54-39-am.jpg  

[SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice!
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    We rode it this weekend and there were areas very specifically closed with rope and yellow flags. However, when goldbar met the rim, the blue dashes were clearly marked, there was no rope or flags in sight so we followed it...incredible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    gnar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I run into that RR guy's video's all the time. He seems to be living the dream pretty hard.

Thanks for this bit of Moab trivia!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I run into that RR guy's video's all the time. He seems to be living the dream pretty hard.

Thanks for this bit of Moab trivia!
    Is there any other way to live?

I guided a few guys on Mag7 dot/portal. Funny how some love BD, others not so much. There is a lot of pedaling that I often underestimate when I talk about how fun BD is. I have a feeling I was being cussed behind my back at times. Wouldn't be the first time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Glad I did not read this thread a week ago

Saturday we rode Mag 7 down to the river via the portal. On an uphill came upon the the so called blue dots, what a find. Everyone had a blast and definately the most technical trail we have ridden in Moab. I asked the guys at the bike shop the next day about the blue dots and they confirmed $300 fine if caught. Ouch! No surprise, anything that much fun is usually illegal!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DVGJTCO View Post
    Saturday we rode Mag 7 down to the river via the portal. On an uphill came upon the the so called blue dots, what a find. Everyone had a blast and definately the most technical trail we have ridden in Moab. I asked the guys at the bike shop the next day about the blue dots and they confirmed $300 fine if caught. Ouch! No surprise, anything that much fun is usually illegal!
    Same here - we rode Mag 7 and mixed it up by riding some Gold Bar/ Gold Spike/ Blue Dot and random White Dots to Portal and out. The BDots intersect a bunch of the open jeep trails/routes
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    btw this deserves an embed

Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/