mtbr member

Going to Vernal: Rojo, Retail Sale, Jazz Chrome Molly?

From the article in Bike it sounds like there are several "don't miss" trails out that way. Of course, that's their job to make them all sound like "don't miss" trails. Although they had me hooked just with the names (More Hoes, The Handsome Cabin Boy, Serendipity, Jack-a-lope, etc). Good stuff.

What do you recommend? I'll have a half-day...maybe a day.

Also.. ... are any of them kid friendly? I may take my 10 year-old on a short ride if there's something that is fun and flowy and fairly level in the 3-4 mile range.
    Thanks guys..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    From the article in Bike it sounds like there are several "don't miss" trails out that way. Of course, that's their job to make them all sound like "don't miss" trails. Although they had me hooked just with the names (More Hoes, The Handsome Cabin Boy, Serendipity, Jack-a-lope, etc). Good stuff.

Also.. ... are any of them kid friendly? I may take my 10 year-old on a short ride if there's something that is fun and flowy and fairly level in the 3-4 mile range.
    Thanks guys..
    I would say ride the stuff out at McCoy flats - that was the best in my view. Skip "Pimps" if you have to cut anything. Don't miss Retail Sale and Fire Sale. Super good stuff - most of it is very close to the parking area, I would say ideal for a kid. Cookies, and milk etc is all super flowy and easy too.

mtbr member
    THanks punk. Can I connect two or three of those at McCoy Flats to make a 25-30 mile ride without repeating too much?

I'll check in with Troy at Altitude Cycles when I get there and pick up a map. Has anyone used the available guide map? Is it pretty detailed/easy to follow? Are any of the intersections signed? Or do I just ride around until I'm lost or tired?

Yeah, from the description on the website it sounded like Got Milk might be a good one for my son.... as long as it's not too skinny and no steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    THanks punk. Can I connect two or three of those at McCoy Flats to make a 25-30 mile ride without repeating too much?

I'll check in with Troy at Altitude Cycles when I get there and pick up a map. Has anyone used the available guide map? Is it pretty detailed/easy to follow? Are any of the intersections signed? Or do I just ride around until I'm lost or tired?

Yeah, from the description on the website it sounded like Got Milk might be a good one for my son.... as long as it's not too skinny and no steep climbs.
    Troy is a nut, but totally cool. Don't be surprised if he offers to come out and ride with you. His map of the area is the best. (compared the stuff I found online) We rode something like 35 or 40 miles at McCoy flats w/out repeating any trail one afternoon. (only downside is that you can probably do it all in a day's ride, so after that you are done with that area...but more riding than say just the 18-Road in fruita) You can just keep connecting the loops. It really is good riding there, mostly fast and smooth. (good enough that you won't be bummed to repeat a section here or there) Fire sale ups the ante slightly, and pimps + hoes has some good technical stuff. I don't think Pimps gets much traffic up on the mesa...it was still worth doing, but if I had to drop one section that would probably be it.

There are signs here and there, and with the map, navigation is easy.

The single track is pretty 'single' but on the easier trails its not much of a problem, as there is nothing to ride off except into the desert. Retail sale might be good for your son too, tho cookies / milk is probably the least technical and easiest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    Troy is a nut, but totally cool. Don't be surprised if he offers to come out and ride with you. We rode something like 35 or 40 miles at McCoy flats w/out repeating any trail one afternoon. (only downside is that you can probably do it all in a day's ride, so after that you are done with that area....
    I've only got a day so that's perfect.... and if Troy will lead me around.... even better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks guys..
    Kid friendly: Milk and Cookies together is 8 miles but you can only do one or ther other and then ride back on the road for 1/2 the distance. Combo is probably the easiest trail and is very beginner friendly. Probably about 5 miles long but not sure.

As far as stringing them together, my favorite string is: Jackelope to More Hoes to Retail Sale. If you're going hard you could probably do this in about 2-2.5 hours. If you want to do longer, after Hoes, I'd do the first part of Retail, then take the turn to do Slippery When Wet then the last half of Retail. That way, you wouldn't have to back track or repeat sections and it'll all flow nicely together. That would probably be close to 25 to 30 miles.

Fire Sale is fun but has been really dumbed down this year. I avoid it out of protest.

In my opinion, can't miss is Rojo which is not near the McCoy Flats Area. 2nd can't miss is More Hoes. I've never done Hell for a Hotdog though or Handsome Cabin Boy. Hell for a Hotdog looks awesome though.

When are you coming into town? I'd show you around but I'm meeting with the builders of the Springfield Area to ride Pamela at 7am tomorrow morning. You're welcome to join if you want. I've never ridden it before. I've ridden the first half of it. It's got a lot of tight and steep climbing until you get to the Pamela turn off.

www.utahsingletrack.com

PM if you're interested in the Saturday ride at Springfield.
    Check out: www.f88me.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the loop suggestions Ruinane. That's the kind of info I am looking for.

I'll be there on Saturday Aug 15th. I plan on starting early (6:00am) and trying to get as much sweet desert singletrack in as possible before motel checkout time.

Are you local?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the loop suggestions Ruinane. That's the kind of info I am looking for.

I'll be there on Saturday Aug 15th. I plan on starting early (6:00am) and trying to get as much sweet desert singletrack in as possible before motel checkout time.

Are you local?
    Yeah I'm local. Not sure if I'm gonna be around on the 15th but if I am, I'd be happy to show you around the trails or you can hook up with Troy or all three of us can go, it's been a while since I've ridden with Troy.

PM me when it's closer to the 15th if you want me to show you around.

BTW, the first 30 minutes of both Rojo and Jackelope is all uphill so if you want to start a little earlier and have even a halfway decent light (say, 100 lumens or so) you can probably start at around 530 or so and it'll be light enough by the time you get to the fast sections. That is if my memory of sunrise time serves me correctly.

Edit: In the off chance I get banned here, you can pm me at f88me.com
    Last edited by Ruinane; 07-25-2009 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Just took our 6 and 10 year on a milk and cookies and Combo ride. No problem. The Vernal area is now my new favorite area. Better than Fruita.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The link to the www.utahsingletrack.com was very helpful, Ruinane. Thanks. I downloaded practically the whole trail guide from there. The only thing I didn't see was a nice overview map of the whole McCoy area with all the trails on it so I could see how the different loops hook up.

Looks like my plan is to be on the trail at the McCoy Flats trailhead by 6:00 am doing the bigger loop you suggested (Jackalope to More Hoes to Retail Sale to Slippery When Wet then back on Retail Sale). If you want to join in for a good 30+ mile ride, let me know. Sounds like Troy will be out for awhile with a torn up shoulder. Bummer.

Would it be possible to add Fire Sale to Retail Sale without missing Slippery When Wet if I'm feeling spunky? I dig the fast flowy stuff but I love the techy stuff too.

Cookies to And Milk sounds just right for my son. Looks like we can always out and back either one if he gets tired or come back on the road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The link to the www.utahsingletrack.com was very helpful, Ruinane. Thanks. I downloaded practically the whole trail guide from there. The only thing I didn't see was a nice overview map of the whole McCoy area with all the trails on it so I could see how the different loops hook up.

Looks like my plan is to be on the trail at the McCoy Flats trailhead by 6:00 am doing the bigger loop you suggested (Jackalope to More Hoes to Retail Sale to Slippery When Wet then back on Retail Sale). If you want to join in for a good 30+ mile ride, let me know. Sounds like Troy will be out for awhile with a torn up shoulder. Bummer.

Would it be possible to add Fire Sale to Retail Sale without missing Slippery When Wet if I'm feeling spunky? I dig the fast flowy stuff but I love the techy stuff too.

Cookies to And Milk sounds just right for my son. Looks like we can always out and back either one if he gets tired or come back on the road.
    You can do Fire Sale either at the end of Hoes (and miss most of the first secion of Retail or you could do it at the end of the snd half of Retail or right after Slippery. Fire Sale turns off in the middle of Got Milk and ends up in the middle of the first half of Retail. So to summarize, yes, we can throw it in anywhere.

If you access google earth thru utahsingletrack.com, I think you can see how the trails hook up at the McCoy flats area but I could be wrong. I'll have to check it at my home computer.

mtbr member
    Special thanks to Keith (Ruinane) for taking me around the McCoy Flats area Saturday. We rode pretty much everything out there that morning and I had a blast. Good stuff.

Thanks for the tour!

I'll get some pictures posted up later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Special thanks to Keith (Ruinane) for taking me around the McCoy Flats area Saturday. We rode pretty much everything out there that morning and I had a blast. Good stuff.

Thanks for the tour!

I'll get some pictures posted up later.
    No prob. It was a great ride and a lot of fun (though I did feel like I'd just been schooled at the end).

PM me if you're ever out this way again. Hopefully I'll have my fs up and running.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruinane
    (though I did feel like I'd just been schooled at the end).
    Hah. Hardly. If I'd been riding that old '91 Lava Cone with balky tall gearing I'd've been dragging a lot worse than you were by the end. Major props.

If you're ever out this way, let me know. I'd be happy to return the favor.

If Jack-a-lope is your favorite trail out there, you'd love the Ely riding: Long climbs followed by fun, fast, swoopy descents.

mtbr member
    I just posted a little Vernal report with a few mediocre pics over on Passion.

McCoy Flats Vernal 007