yep

Going to Moab for the time. Need some help.

On Memorial Day I'm heading down to Moab with my girlfriend and her family. We've never mountain biked there, and need some recommendations for some trails. We'll be there for 3-4 days total and want to do at least one good trail a day. I'm trying to come up with a list of trails to consider. I've been looking at all the Moab trails here but it's kind of hard deciding with all those options.

So we're looking for some family friendly trails(Her and I are in out 20s, her aunt and uncle in the 50s). Maybe a more technical and flowy trail recommendation too that maybe her and I could do one evening.

Any other recommendations for little things to do in Moab would be great as well. Activities, food, sights... Id appreciate anything.

Also, what should we expect as far as other bikers during that week? Pretty crowded?

powered by peanut butter.
    I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions, but here are my two bits:

If you're looking for family friendly trails, the Big Chief Loop at Dead Horse State Park would fit the bill. There are a couple of tricky spots, but it's probably the easiest trail I've ridden in the Moab area. Very little climbing. Fantastic views.

Klondike Bluffs is another cool, fairly easy ride. There is a decent climb up to the top, but it isn't too bad and it's mostly slickrock. The hike into Arches is very cool and definitely worth the time.

The Moab Brand Trails are also a good choice for easier trails--Lazy EZ, Circle O, and Rocking A aren't very tough, and you can see the La Sal mountains from just about everywhere. Very little climbing. I guided a group of newbie riders in Moab and they loved these trails.

Sovereign is a favorite of mine, but definitely more technical than Big Chief, Klondike, or the Brand trails.

Have fun out there! Moab is a spectacular place to ride. I was just there and I'm already itching to get back.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Picture Unrelated
    Another good trail resource is The Skid Map

You don't mention if your family have experience riding mountain bikes, that makes a big difference in what you might call "technical" or not. On the same idea, you don't mention what you and your wife would be looking for in a "technical" ride either.

If your family has absolutely no experience, the Big Cheif trail and Bar trails are good suggestions. Maybe just do some road riding up in the Gemini area to get them familiar with the bikes before you go trying to tackle Moab singletrack. Another trail suggestion is Monitor and Merrimac; low elevation change and a mix of riding. I would ride clockwise up the slickrock segment which puts a sandy section at the end and on a bit of a down hill. The practice loop at Slickrock is another good place to go but be aware that the full trail isn't as forgiving so if you attempt it don't be afraid to turn around as you need to.

Personally my technical trails that I have to do when I'm in Moab are Amasa to Jackson's and Porcupine (LPS or higher if dry), but if that's a little too ambitious then you can have a lot of fun at the Brand loops or the Klondike area no matter your skill level. I will sheepishly admit I've never rode the Sovereign system... one of these days, I swear!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My favorite short flowy single track (mostly) loop is baby steps. It's mostly super mellow fun flowy stuff, and it is fairly short with minimal climbing so a pretty good warm up for a trip. I'd say it's moderately technical at most, but then again that would depend on rider level. I'd be comfortable bringing just about anyone on it though as long as they are comfortable riding singletrack in general.

yep
    Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I've been looking at them all and getting a preliminary list. Still have some researching to do.

I want to do a few more technical/faster trails as well. I'm new to mountainbiking, but I've been riding offroad motorcycles since I was 5. I think I'll be able to transfer and progress pretty quickly. It looks like theres some fun trails around Brand, Klondike and Soveriegn. But I'm also looking around Amasa. That area looks fun, and I imagine anything I'm not comfortable doing yet I can just go around or dismount. Capt Ahab looks really fun, anyone have any info on that?

Thanks again!

yep
    So we'll be leaving on Sunday. We plan on riding the Brand trails and Klondike Bluffs for sure, but we're also looking for one or two more fun/technical/flowy trails to do as well.

I've been progressing pretty quickly and want to try some of the better trails so when I come in Fall I know exactly what to expect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For an easy ride that is also flowy and fun check out the Klonzo trails...connect all the loops for a nice ride

If you want more after that you can hit up the Sovereign trail(southern trailhead) which is right next to the Klonzo trails...Sovereign trail will be slightly more tech

A really cool ride that's often overlooked and would also be great for beginners is Bartlett Wash, really cool smooth slickrock riding, ... It will take a bit more navigating to reach the trail head, but if you can read a map and are decent with directions it shouldn't be a problem. The ride back to the car from the end of Bartlett wash is IMO one of the flowiest smoothest rides on slickrock...like surfing a slickrock wave, but on a bike!!...Its basically an out and back ride...when you reach the farthest point you'll find yourself in a slickrock playground with bowls and berms you can carve around, you can ride and explore out there until you get tired and then return with the awesome decent back to the car.