Dec 2005

Going to Moab - need advice!

Hi all

I am planning a trip to Moab and would appreciate some advice

I am planning to buy the Latitude Map

Any advice on:

(1) Guide books

(2) Where to rent a bike

(3) Thinking of buying a GPS device to help navigate - any recommendations??

Thanks

Will

alien exchange student

Some answers

Howdy, here are my suggestions:

Latittude Maps are very nice. You can go for the "Classic" or buy both the "East" and "West". Have a look and decide yourself. You won't be disappointed in any case.

There are several guidebooks available. Ask around. I write one of them that sells at all the shops. Again, check out the options and choose what works best for you.

All 5 shops rent bikes. I'd suggest you use it as the opportunity to test ride the bike you've always wanted to own. Go to the shops websites to see what each rents. The pricing doesn't really vary much across shops. If you have something specific in mind, email me and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

GPS really isn't necessary. If you want to download your routes or something then go for it. You certainly shouldn't need it to be safe or to stay on trails though (especially if you have maps and/or a guidebook). I'll leave advice on which GPS unit is best to others.

Have fun!

Mel

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    All of these topics are mentioned in the Moab Trip Planner sticky:

Moab Trip Planner

Check it out for more details! Have a good visit.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The new East and West maps are very nice. Guide books are nice if maps are not enough for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    We used the Mel's guide and were very happy with it. The Latitude maps are very nice and are good to put up on the wall in your bike workshop area. If you plan to ride Sovereign I would get the Ride with Respect map for that trail. I don't think there is much need for a GPS.

alien exchange student

Sovereign

Howdy, great advice from everyone. There should be a new Sovereign map available from the Ride With Respect guys. They've just finished marking a new singletrack so you can now do a loop between Willow Springs Rd. and Dalton Wells Rd. They are doing fantastic work and the proceeds from buying their maps really help with trail work.

Cheers!

Mel

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider Mel
    Howdy, great advice from everyone. There should be a new Sovereign map available from the Ride With Respect guys. They've just finished marking a new singletrack so you can now do a loop between Willow Springs Rd. and Dalton Wells Rd. They are doing fantastic work and the proceeds from buying their maps really help with trail work.

Cheers!

Mel
    This is awesome news. Any tips on where the loop starts at either end? I noticed a new rock cairn on the very first piece of slick rock from the willow spring end and some new looking singletrack just down under the slab - but it looked more bandit than official.

alien exchange student

Check with a shop (sorry)

Howdy, the new singletrack was just opened up earlier this month. I haven't been on the new section yet. I do know that it connects from Willow Springs Rd. and crosses the original singletrack a couple of times. At the north end, it drops down onto the slickrock at Dalton Wells (just south of Dalton Wells Rd.). I'm told it is well marked and I believe it - they really do great work. The map should be available at shops.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I will clarify in early May if you like. I won't get on it until then.

Cheers!

Mel