Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Going to Moab for the First time and need a few suggestions - riding Tallboy

I just picked up a new Tallboy, alum, mostly X0 build and since my wife is going to see her parents in Florida, I am going to do a solo trip out to Moab from Denver.

I am an intermediate rider from Michigan but have ridden in Colorado the past 2 years. For those that know Colorado, I love Buff Creek, Lair O the Bear, Prince Creek (carbondale) and Staughton (new park near Pine).

I really prefer to flow and am not a great technical rider, but am a darn good peddler.

Is the Slick Rock trail my best option? I appreciate all the feedback I can get. I will likely ride one day at Moab and then ride the next day in Fruita (also first time).

Thanks in advance

Picture Unrelated
    Did you read the sticky about Moab? It's full of really good information. Check out The Skid Map and Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs and let us know if you have any other questions.

Everyone is different but if it weren't for the experience of riding such a strange landscape and such an icon of mountain biking I would never recommend anyone ride Slickrock trail. It's strenuous, steep, and doesn't (to use the parlance of everyone these days) flow. But it's an icon and if you've never rode it you should at least give it a whack.

I'm partial to the Porcupine family of trails (from the Whole Enchilada down to the 'ol Porcupine Rim, they're all worth a ride). Lots of great trail systems all over the area now though it's hard to go wrong. Fruita is full of flow so no problem there and since you'll be near it already, don't forget to look into Grand Junction.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I appreciate that response. I am more about having fun than checking trails off my list. Is it possible/fun to ride the Slickrock trail for say 30-45 minutes, head back to the truck and hit up another trail that would be more fun and less grunt? I am somewhat limited orthopedically and don't typically ride more than two hours when I am climbing a ton. This weekend, I climbed close to 2k feet at Staughton in Colorado without a ton of difficulty. Still, I want legs for Fruita as well. Any suggestions given those parameters are greatly appreciated.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan22 View Post
    I appreciate that response. I am more about having fun than checking trails off my list. Is it possible/fun to ride the Slickrock trail for say 30-45 minutes, head back to the truck and hit up another trail that would be more fun and less grunt?
    Yes- from the trail head parking, stay to the right and do the practice loop. You could also go left and loop around after a bit though it would most likely be longer than 45 mins...

Slickrock Bicycle Trail Map | Moab Utah

mtbr member
    There are a number of new and expanded trail options in the Klondike Bluffs area (Baby Steps, Mega Steps, Dino Flow, EKG, Alaska, Homer, etc. all in the same area) that "flow" (IMO) and a good fit for intermediate riders. Klonzo is a good easier ride out near Sovereign/Salt Wash. The sites listed above are good resources. 45 minutes on Slickrock with the practice loop should give you an idea if you want to do the whole thing - I'd recommend it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Did you read the sticky about Moab? It's full of really good information. Check out The Skid Map and Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs and let us know if you have any other questions.

Everyone is different but if it weren't for the experience of riding such a strange landscape and such an icon of mountain biking I would never recommend anyone ride Slickrock trail. It's strenuous, steep, and doesn't (to use the parlance of everyone these days) flow. But it's an icon and if you've never rode it you should at least give it a whack.

I'm partial to the Porcupine family of trails (from the Whole Enchilada down to the 'ol Porcupine Rim, they're all worth a ride). Lots of great trail systems all over the area now though it's hard to go wrong. Fruita is full of flow so no problem there and since you'll be near it already, don't forget to look into Grand Junction.
    Ive ridden SRT once and will never do it again. Way too much other awesome trail in and around Moab. Now give me a GasGas trials moto and I could spend a week on and around the SRT.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    TWE should be on the list. Great ride with a ton of terrain variation and not too strenuous.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    so if I go right the slick rock practice loop, which I likely will so I can try it out, where could I go close by after that? Again, my preferences are as much flow as I can get, intermediate technically, less than 2 hours of riding and somewhere where I won't get lost easily (which I tend to do)

Thanks a ton for the information --- I am pretty fired up to get out there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    so if I go right the slick rock practice loop, which I likely will so I can try it out, where could I go close by after that? Again, my preferences are as much flow as I can get, intermediate technically, less than 2 hours of riding and somewhere where I won't get lost easily (which I tend to do)

Thanks a ton for the information --- I am pretty fired up to get out there.
    Porcupine Rim is only a few minutes drive from Slick Rock, and if you're paying the entrance fee to access that area you might as well get your money's work. Go to the PR trailhead, ride up it, and then go right to keep going up onto Lower and then Upper PR Single Track for as long as you like. Turn around when you're done riding up and ride back down everything to the trailhead. Lower and Upper Porcupine Rim Single Track are some of the most fun that you can have on a bike imo. This first section of PR is pretty fun too. Incredible views as well if you can take your eyes off of the trail long enough to see them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Porcupine Rim sounds great. I think I will hit up the practice loop on slick rock first -- and will likely come to the conclusion that it isn't for me. Then I will head over there. Can you describe the Porcupine trail a bit more. Is it an out and back or do I loop it? If you could give me an idea on distances and elevation gain as well, I would appreciate that. Sounds like a perfect set up. My trip depends alot on temperature. I will head out from denver Friday morning---I will likely get to Fruita around 10:30 or so. if it isn't too hot, I will ride there, then press on to Moab to ride in the morning on Saturday. I don't know if I will stay Saturday night or start heading back east and ride somewhere in between, maybe glenwood springs---i had a blast riding Price Creek there. Thanks for all of the info. I am one of those blind without a cane type of mountain bikers that doesn't even know how to change a tire or fix a darn thing. I just love the sport.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    actually, after reading the trail description for Porcupine it looks like it may be a tad more difficult than I am looking for. I have some orthopedic issues that hold me back a bit-----any suggestions that are more intermediate?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What do you guys think of riding the Bar M trail to the Circle O and back? Seems like it is about 10 miles and would be ok for intermediate. is a bunch of that just dirt road though to get to the Bar M?

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...rcleO-HRes.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Going to Moab for the First time and need a few suggestions - riding Tallboy

Check out Amasa back trail as a climb up and then the new Captain Ahab trail to descend. Captain Ahab was new this spring and has a little bit of everything. I thought it flowed nicely. Also, all the potentiality large drop-offs were ramped down so a rider can choose to fly off them or ride down them. There is one part that warned of exposure and recommended walking - I didn't think it was that bad (and I generally hate bad exposures), but if you're nervous walk that one short section.

I rode it in late April. It rained all morning. Hit it in early afternoon when it dried out and had a blast. Put the bike on the rack, drove over to Slickrock and did the whole trail. It was a bit much back to back like that, but if you only plan on doing the practice loop you should be able to do both. Personally, I'd do Amasa-Captain Ahab in the early morning. If your legs are up to it, go do the practice loop thereafter. Otherwise, the a break for lunch and let the heat of the day pass and do the practice loop in the late afternoon. The red rock accentuates the heat and you feel like you are in a tandori oven, so don't underestimate the temperature out there. Bring plenty of water - no such thing as too much!

Here's the thread that started when Ahab was built this spring:

New Amassa Back Trail??
    New Amassa Back Trail??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    The Bar trails are awesome, as well as stated above dino tracks and porcupine. I agree with the above that slickrock is something cool (IMO) to do once but thats it. Cool landscape and such but you will have a lot more fun on other trails.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Porcupine

Well, if you're still interested, or for anyone else, I created a little map from skidmap.com to aid you. PR trailhead is about 20 min up a dirt road from Slick Rock. Slick Rock practice loop is circled. Porcupine Rim trailhead is circled, and a 5.5 mile out route is in orange. There is a route builder that shows mileages to turns, as well as an elevation profile for the entire route. You could do as much or as little of this as you want, then just turn around and go back. This is a fun option for a second ride after doing Slick Rock, and if you don't have a second car for a full Porcupine shuttle.

Going to Moab for the First time and need a few suggestions - riding Tallboy-slickrock_porcupine.jpg

mtbr member
    I've got a better option for you.
    Drive up Sand Flats road and park at the Porcupine Rim Trailhead.
    It's easy to see-stock tanks + restrooms and it's just past a campground.
    Pedal up Sand Flats Road for several miles-do not pedal up the classic old skool Porcupine approach.
    I forget the mileage, but it's not that bad of a climb. You'll likely be passed by several shuttle vans.
    When you get to the "cattle gaurd" and LPS drop off, go left. There is a sign.
    Pedal LPS to the overlook and then descend the old Porcupine climb back to your car.
    Makes for a fun loop and is better than an out and back on Porcupine proper and LPS in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    To each his own, but I'd much rather spend my time climbing a techy rocky trail than a dirt road... dirt roads are a dime a dozen, Porcine Rim is one of a kind. Even the ascent. If you're only looking for the DH then I guess climbing the road is the quickest/easiest way to get to it.

Edit: paying for one of those shuttles passing you on the dirt road is the quickest/easiest way to get to the DH. And they'll take you much further up.

mtbr member
    Porcupine classic climb is ok. Not too tech, but a cardio workout in places.
    Was the thing to do in the 80's and 90's.
    Climbing LPS is lame if there is shuttle traffic.
    Too much risk of head on collisions and good luck with getting 12+ riders per shuttle to "yield to uphill traffic."
    It's a fun loop with what I described.
    Hard to call UPS/LPS DH in my opinion. It's semi tech xc singletrack in a generally downward direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Check out Amasa back trail as a climb up and then the new Captain Ahab trail to descend. Captain Ahab was new this spring and has a little bit of everything. I thought it flowed nicely. Also, all the potentiality large drop-offs were ramped down so a rider can choose to fly off them or ride down them. There is one part that warned of exposure and recommended walking - I didn't think it was that bad (and I generally hate bad exposures), but if you're nervous walk that one short section.

I rode it in late April. It rained all morning. Hit it in early afternoon when it dried out and had a blast. Put the bike on the rack, drove over to Slickrock and did the whole trail. It was a bit much back to back like that, but if you only plan on doing the practice loop you should be able to do both. Personally, I'd do Amasa-Captain Ahab in the early morning. If your legs are up to it, go do the practice loop thereafter. Otherwise, the a break for lunch and let the heat of the day pass and do the practice loop in the late afternoon. The red rock accentuates the heat and you feel like you are in a tandori oven, so don't underestimate the temperature out there. Bring plenty of water - no such thing as too much!

Here's the thread that started when Ahab was built this spring:

New Amassa Back Trail??
    New Amassa Back Trail??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    He thinks Porcupine sounds a bit too hard and has orthopedic problems. I doubt Amasa Back and Ahab are good choices!

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of riding the Bar M trail to the Circle O and back? Seems like it is about 10 miles and would be ok for intermediate. is a bunch of that just dirt road though to get to the Bar M?

You're the only one who can decide on your ability/physical limitations. You have a good list of rides - go figure out what works for you. The MOAB Brand trails would be fine. They're easy and flow well. Give them a try and if they are a bit too easy go out to the Klondike Bluffs area.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What route do you recommend at Klondike Bluffs?

Picture Unrelated

I think this would be a good choice and will give you a baseline of comparison to other trails throughout Moab. Trails are rated based on the trails they're near not on some nationwide base scale so what's intermediate in Moab might be an easy trail in BC or an expert trail somewhere without any elevation. Hard to know what you're getting in to until you get in there.

Bar M is pretty dull but Circle O is fun. You'll be able to easily ride more/different trails while you're at the Brand trails and get in as easy or as hard a ride as you feel like. For example, if you're feeling really good you could tack on a North 40 ride (it can be fairly strenuous) or even ride up North 40 to Maverick and then back to the parking lot. That adds a pretty fun trail without a ton of extra work and if you run out of gas you can always turn around at any time. Pack a lunch, bring some shade, and you could spend all day out there. Add in the nearby trail systems at Klondike or Klonzo or Sovereign and you have plenty to ride as long as your body holds up.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just took my Tallboy LTc for some gnarly trail riding in Moab Utah. I've got a short vid up of porcupine and slickrock.

Moab - YouTube

EDR

Re: Going to Moab for the First time and need a few suggestions - riding Tallboy

Op.. I thought I read in one of your other postings that due to your limitations you can't really ride out of the saddle. Based on that alone I would not recommend anything in Moab that gets you to any sort of elevation gain. Everything I've ridden out there is pretty rocky at least in sections.
    I can't really speak to the trails that stay around the desert floor level though. Also for what it's worth, Slick Rock Trail sucks, haha. At the very least it doesn't meet your requirement of flow. It's an up-and-down quad killer!!!

Kokopelli might be an option. I remember plenty of flow on that trail and really nothing technical. However it's part of the whole enchilada and I don't know of any easy way to ride just that portion. Not solo anyway. Maybe I'm confusing Kokopelli with hazard County. Maybe others can chime in.

mtbr member
    What route do you recommend at Klondike Bluffs?
    Almost anything. My wife started mountain biking at the age of 57 and her first year, she rode that and the MOAB brand trails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast