Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Glenwild dry yet?

When I was last up at Jeremy Ranch 3 weeks or so ago, there was VERY little snow - anyone been over to check out 24/7, Flying Dog, Glenwild, etc? How are they looking?

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

DOH!
    From the Mountain Trails FB feed:

Mountain Trails Foundation
    Trail users, PLEASE, PLEASE, it is spring, very early spring. The trails are muddy and should not be ridden on, or walked on after about 10AM. If you encounter mud, please turn around, you'll thank yourself later this spring and early summer.

Hit Glenwild yesterday morning for a little run from the Spring Creek trailhead (it was 10AM), made it about 200 yards up the trail before pulling the plug. We just need to be patient, myself included.
    From that I would probably say....no. Plus, Glenwild mud is NASTY mud. Like 25-pedal-strokes-and-your-bike-weighs-90# nasty. Even in "dry winter" years it's usually at least early April before the front side of GW is safe. The back side usually takes another 2-4 weeks before Basin Rec takes the closed signs down. In a good year....

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, figured as much. Thanks for the info - MTF is a great resource I wasn't aware of.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Please don't ride spring mud! it's not a hippie love political activist thing - the trails up here are amazing all summer but even a few mud riders can really trash the trails and undo hundreds of hours of volunteer trail work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Having said that, any dry trail reports this week??

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think this time of year it's safe to say you should head south if you want to ride trails. It really does only take 1 guy riding a muddy trial to leave it messed up for an entire season. Once those ruts dry up into concrete they are there to stay, and one short section takes hours of work for a trail crew to fix. Any many sections wont even get fixed since they couldn't possibly go around buffing out every springtime rut in northern utah.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Just FYI, Shoreline is good from the Zoo to Dry Creek. Dry Creek is a mess and will still be a mess this weekend but probably good to go next week. I assume Bobsled and the sections into/out of City Creek are also big piles of mud and will need at least another week of warm weather.

Zigzag ridge trail up the ridge just south of Dry Creek behind Huntsman is good to go if you want to suffer and gain some elevation.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There's always Antelope Island as well, I've heard it's dried up quite nicely, just gotta pay the fee...

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Sounds like Stansbury Island is good to go according to posts on utahmountainbiking.com. Debating between sharing Zoo to Dry Creek with all of SLC tomorrow or heading out to the island and dodging errant gunfire.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Regularly updated spreadsheet on trail conditions for the Snyderville Basin trails, including the Glenwild area.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...YS0U1Umc&gid=0

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    anybody been to Dutch Hollow in Heber? It dries out pretty early.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    dry as a bone. rode it yesterday

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825 View Post
    dry as a bone. rode it yesterday
    Including boneyard? The north-east side was not ready last week. I did not think it would be dry yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Honestly haven't bothered with Boneyard the last 2 yrs - needs a ton of work to cut it back, destroyed too many jerseys and shredded arms/legs on the scrub oak. 1000 turns/Enhanted Forest wasnt bad at all - few greasy corners but that was about it. However after all this rain it'll be a few days before it's game on again

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ok the resorts close tomorrow, we don't need anymore snow. the rain can cut back too I want to ride trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    will it ride 5/29/13? in Kamas now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnee 1 View Post
    will it ride 5/29/13? in Kamas now.
    We've gotten about an inch of rain in the last 18 hours or so. Not likely to be rideable tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks, passed. went to Idaho to ride.