Freeriding Feline

Give Me 3 MOAB Trails!

If you had to pick three classic trails to ride in Moab, what would they be?
    (Yep, I'm looking for ideas!)
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    For the XC type of rides with plenty of techie options, these are my favorites:
    Porc Rim
    Amasa Back
    Sovereign

UpHiller
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    For the XC type of rides with plenty of techie options, these are my favorites:
    Porc Rim
    Amasa Back
    Sovereign
    Ditto.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Three

Porc
    Sovereign
    Burro/Hazard(in season)

Slickrock, just because.....
    Hurrah/Jackson/Amasa

I guess that's five....

Freeriding Feline
    I think Slickrock has to be on there....
    Twitter - KIKat1029

I'd say:
    Porcupine, starting as high as is practical
    Amasa (+options)
    Slickrock, unless you've ridden it before. If so, then Sovereign.
    "The Ice Age is comin', the Sun's zoomin' in..."

-The Clash

If I had three days to ride myself and racing friends into the ground, and ignoring contradictory seasons, I'd do:

-White Rim
    -Burro-Hazard-Porc
    -Long Canyon-Gemini-Blue Dot-Poison Spider

If I wanted to spend three days hanging out in ABC in the morning, riding socially, and drinking and playing pool, I'd ride:

-Sovereign-Bar M-Circle A (shuttled N to S)
    -lower Gemini-Blue Dot-Poison Spider
    -Amasa-Jackson's (or Burro-Hazard-Porc, in season)

It all really begs the question, which is the perfect week in late September that would allow one to ride Burro, and then not fry on Gold Bar the next day?

Ahhh, Moab....... Looking forward to Bike Camp in April.

mtbr member
    Porcupine
    Flat Pass
    Sovereign

Slick Rock
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member

agreed

As much Enchilada as possible
    Amassa
    Sov

Bored Carp
    You could ride Slickrock/Porcupine as a loop if you are up for something long. Frees up a day.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

frejwilk
    Lots of good recommendations and a few strong trends. I think I remember from a previous thread that you're coming in April. I'm sure it would happen anyway, but make sure to stop in a few shops, and get some advice aimed specifically at your group. There's all kinds of great riding in Moab.

FW

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    My three would be:

- Gold Bar blue dot across to Portal and back up Poison Spider return to your car by either Golden Spike or Gold Bar rim again depending how destroyed you are.
    - Amassa then early retirement to Moab Brewery to rest
    - Porcupine from as high as possible

meh... whatever

heck to the yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    As much Enchilada as possible
    Amassa
    Sov
    +1
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    My three would be:

- Gold Bar blue dot across to Portal and back up Poison Spider return to your car by either Golden Spike or Gold Bar rim again depending how destroyed you are.
    - Amassa then early retirement to Moab Brewery to rest
    - Porcupine from as high as possible
    I like your recommendations zz. I was going to ask ionsmuse if you could hook Portal into his blue dot/poison spider recommendation. That sounds like a killer ride.

I might add rock stacker and Jackson's to the Amasa ride and skip the brewery but otherwise that's perfect [SIZE="1"](off-the-chart locals-knowledge-required rides notwithstanding).[/SIZE]

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I like your recommendations zz. I was going to ask ionsmuse if you could hook Portal into his blue dot/poison spider recommendation. That sounds like a killer ride.

I might add rock stacker and Jackson's to the Amasa ride and skip the brewery but otherwise that's perfect [SIZE="1"](off-the-chart locals-knowledge-required rides notwithstanding).[/SIZE]
    I am always torn on Jacksons descent or back down Amasa as I really love the main Amasa descent for it's speed and flow and lack of problematic Creek crossing at the end [SIZE="1"](i-deliberately-left-mention-of-that-sort-of-thing-out-of-the-list).[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Good choices above! When I made my first visit there last march I rode Amasa, Slickrock, Flat Pass, and Bartlett Wash. I really liked the Amasa descent, it was an absolute blast. I wish I had a few more days to ride as I would of liked to have done Sovereign, and the infamous Porc Rim!

So If I was going back for only 3 I'd choose Amasa, Porc Rim and Sovereign like some of the guys above!
    2006 Specialized Enduro Elite
    2004 Rocky Mountain Element 50

mtbr member
    I am always torn on Jacksons descent or back down Amasa as I really love the main Amasa descent for it's speed and flow and lack of problematic Creek crossing at the end [SIZE="1"](i-deliberately-left-mention-of-that-sort-of-thing-out-of-the-list).[/SIZE]
    I'm with you on that (on both counts). Bombing back down Amasa is a fun romp too.

My three would be:

That's a good idea!

should know better.....
    - Porc. Rim, from as high as possible
    - Sovereign
    - Amassa, then Slickrock practice loop to watch sunset, you'll get a good taste of slickrock without the commitment.

Freeriding Feline

Good Idea

Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    - Porc. Rim, from as high as possible
    - Sovereign
    - Amassa, then Slickrock practice loop to watch sunset, you'll get a good taste of slickrock without the commitment.
    That's a good idea about the practice loop. The book I've been reading says the sunsets are awesome there too.

Thanks to all....Keep 'em coming!
    Twitter - KIKat1029

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat
    Thanks to all....Keep 'em coming!
    Hmmm. How about:

Sovereign
    Amasa Back
    Porcupine Rim from as high as possible

JK, I recommend Slickrock instead of Sovereign. It has fallen out of favor in the last few years in the same way Moab has somehow lost some of its sparkle as the MTB hot spot. Fact is, it's the most famous trail in Moab for a very good reason - it's damn fun! Won't find a trail like SR anywhere else, while Sovereign is "merely" a good singletrack system like you can ride in Fruita. Going to Moab and not riding Slickrock would be like skipping Gooseberry on a St. George trip. Simply unnatural. Check it out.

If you want a longer ride on easier roads so you can rest your Tech muscles and soak in the views:

Hurrah Pass/Jackson's Hole (added bonus of coming down Amasa Back)
    Jughandle Arch Loop (like a mini White Rim adventure at only 36 miles)

mtbr member
    the WHOLE enchilada
    Flat Pass
    Moonlight Meadows
    CruisenSurly

mtbr member

... and if we just ... 3 days, 4 rides?

So, I'm planning on heading out there for spring break with my dad. This thread is awesome!
    I'll be bringing my Hi-Fi 29er running Panaracer Rampages.

My dad is not a rider (not competent enough for Moab riding), and I am planning on riding three days.

This is the conclusion I came to, by tallying the suggestions. The TOP 4 seem like must do's. (on my list shown below)

I will probably cut the Sovereign Singletrack for lack of votes(because this is my first time, and slickrock seems to be a must do for a first timer).
    Porc and Amassa seem like better options for the timeframe involved. Unless two of those are easily combined? I'm in shape from NW riding, but not used to the altitude.

Slickrock
    Porcupine
    Amassa

This sound good?

I plan on being out there from March 24th to the 28th. I'll be riding solo, so if anyone wants to PM me so I can have a riding partner, that would be cool but I plan on riding solo.

addition

mtbr member
    Which of those trails are rideable now, like this weekend.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadfanatic
    Porc and Amassa seem like better options for the timeframe involved. Unless two of those are easily combined?
    If you're shuttling Porc it's totally doable to combine it with Amasa. That's what I did last April. We rode porc from the cattle guard at the top of LPS clear down. Then after lunch and an hour or two break I went and did Amasa.

You could also combine Sovereign and Slick Rock in a single day and do two other rides on day three. Say Poison Spider/Goldbar/Portal, then a nice recovery ride out to Klondike bluffs with Baby Steps thrown in or, better yet, a play session out at Bartlett Wash.

If you only get out there once, make the most of it. You can rest when when you get back to work.