mtbr member

Give descending recommendations after Pinecone climb to the crest

I am still not familiar with many of the trails above Park City and am looking for suggestions as to the most fun descent back down after climbing Pinecone to the Crest. I usually start at park city resort, climb Armstrong to MM to Pinecone to Crest. I've usually just turned around, descended Pinecone (which I find quite fun actually, but worry about letting it really rip because of short sight lines and the possibility of encountering other people climbing it) to MM, over to Spiro, then down. Just looking for a change. Any recommendations on nice flowy descents from up there?

Someone had mentioned that riding the Crest over a bit and descending the Crest Connector to Mid Mountain is a fun way to go, but I can't find any info that would make that seem fun/worth it. If I did that, I would then ride MM back, past the Canyons, over to Spiro, then down.

Is there a more interesting way to go if I would turn left on the Crest trail heading towards PC/Deer Valley?
    Let me hear your descents, possibly with a small description of what to expect on them as well.

Thanks,
    Albert

mtbr member
    I love the descent off the Crest on MidMountain connector and then pick a route down to Canyons.

Your Best Friend
    I don't go down Spiro if I can help it, too many people coming up and it has a lot of braking bumps. Go further east on MM (about a mile?) until you get to Crescent Mine Grade or CMG. Hardly anyone ever comes up it (i've never seen anyone come up it) and it has some good flow to it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Someone had mentioned that riding the Crest over a bit and descending the Crest Connector to Mid Mountain is a fun way to go... I would then ride MM back, past the Canyons, over to Spiro, then down.

Is there a more interesting way to go if I would turn left on the Crest trail heading towards PC/Deer Valley?

Arm-pinecone-crest-mm-spiro is a pretty brutal loop, esp. the section of mid from canyons to armstrong, but I end up doing this loop about twice a season. Once in the canyons, dropping Holly's and taking the road back is a much easier option.

Drop left at the crest and decend to shadow lake, then take Keystone to any number of trails. How about this: Arm-pinecone-crest-shadowlake loop-keystone-mojave-mid-cmg.

You have a mountain trails map and you use this Mountain Trails Foundation - Map , right? go explore

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Looks like CMG doesn't truly go to the bottom, is that correct? If so, do you take the bottom half of Spiro (in which case you are not on CMG really all that long), or the PayDay dirt road, or Jenni's down at the end? It looks like that can take you over to the top half of Sweeney switchbacks to PCMR Conn.
    Which is the best way to go when you say CMG down?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    CMG goes all the way down. It ends with this incredibly fun series of banked turns that finish right at the fence at PCMR.

I like the route Miller542 recommended. It's lightly traveled and fun.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wife and I just did that ride and we did MM to Ambush to Robs and then wound up down a short pavement ride back into town. Ambush and Robs were sweet
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. CMG sounds cool!
    I think I may try out the Arm-pinecone-crest-shadowlake loop-keystone-mojave-mid-cmg loop posted by Miller542 just to keep things a little shorter.
    I appreciate all the info!

mtbr member
    +1 for mojave-mm-cmg. fantastic run.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member
    I've climbed Pinecone at least half a dozen times this season and mostly descend two ways:

1.shadowlake loop-keystone-mojave-mid-cmg.

This is an awesome loop. Bonus option is to wrap Keystone all the way around and do Webster, back to Keystone, hook up with Tommy Two Steps and climb the last three switchbacks up to the yurt and then down Mojave.
    -Extra grunt option is to climb up the crest to guardsmans pass and then get on Dead Tree and drop Dead Tree / Upper Apex to Keystone.

2. Crest to crest connector to MM to Robs/Collins descent if dropping to the road. Turn left on Dubois for maximum singletrack. Return on road / bike path to PCMR (easy spin) if you don't want to take MM back from Canyons to PCMR.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Cold iron canyon

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by charcist View Post

Bonus option is to wrap Keystone all the way around and do Webster, back to Keystone, hook up with Tommy Two Steps and climb the last three switchbacks up to the yurt and then down Mojave.
    +1 on Webster fun little area and hardly anyone else around

mtbr member
    I got a chance today to go do the "Armstrong-pinecone-crest-shadowlake loop-keystone-mojave-mid-cmg" loop posted by Miller542. Very cool! Thanks again.
    We ran into some people at the top of Pinecone/Puke Hill area, and they mentioned Apex as part of the descent. So going down Keystone, I turned left and caught the bottom of Apex. I then had to turn right and go up Thaynes road a little bit to get to Mojave. I saw when I got home that doing that option took out quite a bit of Keystone. For future reference, is that lower half of Keystone fun? Would you recommend staying on Keystone or doing Apex?
    Mojave was really cool - my understand is that it is a new trail. Kudos to the builders, and if you haven't ridden it yet, it is worth it!

mtbr member
    if you come down apex to thaynes, you can turn the other way and hit the upper part of CMG too. keystone is a pretty mellow trail throughout. from the start of mojave, there are also some other great descents going down to the east, like steps/two steps and johns->sweeney's switchbacks, which is always fun because you can finish up riding across the bridge over park ave and end up right on main st.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member
    Heading down, away from Shadow Lake, Keystone turns into (Tommy) Two Step. It's a new trail that bypasses The Steps. The way you went is a bit more interesting for going down. There is an offshoot at the intersection of Keystone/Two Steps that goes toward the bottom of the Pioneer lift, but it's pretty overgrown.