rpalmer
    Aug 2008

General Feedback on Gold Bar/Golden Spike

I've ridden a ton of stuff in Moab over the years but I've never hit the Golden Spike. I'm riding Feb 4th down there and this ride is on the radar. Is it sand trap after sand trap like Poison Spider or is it a little more rideable? Overall, what's the consensus? Is it worth checking out? How much time does it take to get up to the Portal area and back down the way we came up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Gold Bar is well worth doing as long as you like a lot of techy stuff. Most of it is on rock with very few sandy spots. It's a must do. If you're up for an epic, set up a shuttle and combine Mag 7, Gold Bar/Spike and Portal.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Gold Bar is well worth doing as long as you like a lot of techy stuff. Most of it is on rock with very few sandy spots. It's a must do. If you're up for an epic, set up a shuttle and combine Mag 7, Gold Bar/Spike and Portal.
    Thanks. I would love to do the Mag 7 but we'll only have one car. I've walked the Portal by the way and I just don't see why people ride that. Safety concerns aside, that lower portion just doesn't even look fun! Too steep and rocky. I don't mind tech at all but I don't see how that trail could be fun

That's why we're planning on going back down the way we come up.