mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Fully rigid at Moab?

Should I use a new custom titanium rigid 29er or a beater Hoo Koo E Koo hardtail for Moab? All the pics and vids I've found show slickrock, (that scream out for fitness and losing every ounce possible on body and bike), or 4 foot plus drops that I'm not interested in. The text usually says something like "I would never use a bike with 4 inches of travel, Moab needs at least a 6" travel bike". Razor sharp square edged ledges are a real problem for me w/o sus.. Is Moab full of square edged rocks? Is full suspension only necessary for the drops? I've ridden many hundreds of miles in soft desert sand in Anza Borrego desert and slick rock in the Sierra Nevada Mtns. where rigid would be fine but for Moab??..........

Anytime. Anywhere.
    There are trails where rigid will be fine, Slickrock is one. I saw a guy going up Amasa back on a rigid singlespeed but it would beat the hell out of you. Worst case you end up renting a bike for a couple of the rides.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

oootard

Say good bye to any fillings or crowns that you currently have in your grill. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    People do it. one of the group off swiss german's road fully rigid. Those folks road about 40 miles a day and this guy was good and had a ton of fun riding any trail. That was when full suspension was just coming around. Just think of it as a trip back in time.
    But, you're goin alone

No, that's not phonetic
    I have been riding Moab since '91. Back in the day, of course, we were on fully rigid bikes. I made quite a few trips to moab before I got a suspension fork (the Rockshox RS-1, in fact). It seems like each successive trip back was with better suspension components and more travel. Now I show up with 7" front and back ready to rock. The speeds you can carry through the rough stuff and actually enjoy it compared to the BEATING we used to receive is like night and day. I don't look back on fully rigid bikes with any more longing than I do to 18th century surgical techniques.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

alien exchange student

True 'dat

I must agree with Tscheezy. I've ridden Moab on quite a few different bikes. As time goes by my bike gets heavier, with more suspension, and I enjoy it more. On slickrock it probably doesn't matter much. You'll be able to carry speed better on a suspension bike but you'll be able to muscle the bike up stuff without needing momentum on a really light one. The 29er may be more of an issue than the suspension. The bigger lifts would mess me up a little on bigger wheels I think. I understand the advantages of bigger wheels but where the uphills are technical playgrounds I think I'd have trouble finding the gear combination that made it work (at least for me). Stalling and recovering without unclipping would be a challenge. In the end, take the bike you are most comfortable on as it is likely the bike you'll have more fun with.

Cheers!

Mel

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    T is right. I too rode porcupine rim on an aluminum cannondale with pepperoni fork. It was fun in 1992, but I would never do it again.

The big wheels are no problem, I can get the wheel on my 29er up the ledges almost as easily as I can with my small wheels. But the rigid idea just gives me the shivers.

JMH

over researcher
    First trip in Moab was spring break 1994. I had a fully rigid 1993 Rockhopper Comp and I had a pretty big smile across my face on Porcupine Rim Trail. Second trip was later that year, and I had since put a 1994 Mag 21 on my bike. I had a big smile on Porcupine Rim Trail again. I went a few more times between then and Jan 1996, and I was always happy. I think fully rigid will be just fine. Me personally, I don't think I would want to though. I don't think my body could handle the same abuse I gave it back in the fully rigid "good old days". Plus, since going to full suspension, I have probably forgotten how to have my body soak up the bumps like you have to with a fully rigid bike. I moved back to Utah last November, and can't wait to go to Moab with my full suspension bike.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Rigid should be fine, just be prepared to search for perfect lines and of course your body will take some abuse. I always ride a hardtail and am always riding trails that other people tell me I "need" a FS bike for. Like Royta said, if you know how to use your legs/arms as suspension then you'll have no problems. But if you've been riding FS bikes recently then you probably should stick to what you're used to.
    Cheers,

Seb

Fartographer
    I know a dude who lives there right now who rides Porkypine on a dropbar fixie. But of course, he's nuts.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I know a dude who lives there right now who rides Porkypine on a dropbar fixie. But of course, he's nuts.
    Ha! Can YOU podium at 24HITOP on consecutive years?

I've ridden just about all of the "conventional" stuff around Moab on a rigid SS, lived, and enjoyed it. It's slower, harder, and harder on you (of course).

Moab is not just slickrock. Most of the trails involve lots of ledge-ups, many quite square in nature. For me, full suspension and big wheels are very handy.

That said, ride what you like. You can't go wrong.

Fartographer

Podium?

Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Ha! Can YOU podium at 24HITOP on consecutive years?
    I can't podium at sh!t. All I can do is take purty pitchers
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

meh... whatever

Dont Do It!!!

moab is no fun on a rigid ss, and is next to impossible to ride without gears and suspension. it will totally suck unless you are on a bike with at least 6" of travel.

/sarcasm

since youre not interested in bigger drops, i would go rigid 29er. fun factor is through the roof!

can you go faster on a full suspension geared bike over some of the really gnar-gnar stuff? of course! my fastest time doing porc is just over 1.5 hours on my stumpy fsr. was it as fun as doing it rigid? heck yeah! but in a COMPLETELY different way, so really there is no comparison.

imho, for overall fun factor in moab a rigid 29er is hard to beat. technique and skill play a much bigger role in riding fast there than on a squish bike.

my vote is to take the rigid. you can always rent a bike for a day if you want to go back and bomb some trails on a squishy.

some shots and vids rigid in the mecca...

up the steps on porc

Photobucket

steps up amasa

Photobucket

and on the 29er

Photobucket

big rigid air down amasa

Photobucket

back side of porc on a rigid one9, max speed of 32...

down burro pass on the rigid one9...

Last edited by monogod; 02-26-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

should know better.....
    That helmet cam footage on Porc rim should be enough to tell you to go squishy. seeing how much he slowed over the axe-blade sections of rock steps tells me all I need to know. Going from cranking along on the smooth dirt to progressively slower over the rock sections.... No question, it's a different kind of fun, and a "pure" way to ride it. I'll take a pass.
    I'm not speaking from ignorance either. I rode it 16 years ago on a fully rigid specialized stumpy, (steel prestige tubing) totally enjoyed myself. I remember having to pick the right line, time everything etc. Fantastic day.
    Then I discovered the joys of suspension, and carrying speed and airing it out over sections of nasty rock at 30 mph, accelerating to jump entire sections. Laugh out loud fun!!!!
    I've been fortunate enough to ride in Moab on about 15 different occasions for at least 3 days each time since. Everytime I go, I seem to be on a bigger bike, and it gets more and more fun.

Sir Hurt Locker
    It's all about progression, first time on a rigid, next on a hardtail, then just keep going bigger. If people were just to ride FS right away i think they would be mising out, plus they don't get the benefit of learning the skills that it requires to take a rigid down a rough trail. Lots of good information in this thread, good stuff
    Cheers,

Seb

Certified Bike Junkie

Depends on how you look at it

Ive ridden moab on everything from a soft tail- 6" front and back, and now on a ti custom rigid 29er..Depends on how you like to ride...Something about the amt of control you loose the more travel you go- dont take that the wrong way, your not outta control, its just funner for me to slow down and figure my way through a super techy section on a rigid rather than just bomb through and let the suspension do the work..For me it takes something out of the experience...To each his own..,.
    Check out my BLOG www.joemtbiker.blogspot.com

Bored Carp
    My very first Moab bike was a Bianchi FS in 1994. People were still super tense about "energy sucking" FS bikes (remember that?). Got a lot of comments on my ride, particularly as we passed folks on rigid bikes.

Since then, I have done the HT thing a couple of times in Moab and taken a few different FS bikes, but however much I love my rigid SS, but have very little desire to take it down any of the Moab trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    max speed of 32...
    Is that in feet per minute?

/sarcasm

I have to agree though, that video was a pretty strong endorsement of suspension.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    I am heading down for a full 7 days of riding, you have removed any doubt I had lingering that I would prefer my HT SS Ti, looks like a week of FS. At 47 my body will be greatful for the extra cartledge! Great thread thanks!
    [SIZE="3"]THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I am scheduled to hit up Moab for the first time after a Kokopelli ride in early May. Coming down from Canada and will taking the plunge with my rigid 29er SS. Contrary to the other comments, monogod photos and helmet cam footage of riding it rigid has actually got me pumped about riding it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

And after that footage of him hammering through the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Is that in feet per minute?

/sarcasm

I have to agree though, that video was a pretty strong endorsement of suspension.
    at the top of Porcupine he still had another ten or eleven miles of the same to get down to 128, then 3 miles back into town. Yeah, I remember the "hardtail in Moab experience" from way back when. A friend of mine, the first time he rode Porc he was on his hardtail. Most everyone else was on FS. He rode like a sumb!tch and finished in the top ten of his group. Everyone was amazed and his only comment was "never again". He bought a FS as soon as he got back home.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member

Fun Hater magnet this thread is!

Mad respect to my brothers with no gears; fun hating upside down handlebar riding; heck put the stem upside down too; some how SMOKE the rest of the group on endurance; usually creepy friggin quiet recluse types; did I say fun hating mutants, but why why why guys? (and girls).
    My Nomad is sooooooooooooooooooooo damn come-fit-tee, squishy, and pert near purpose built for riding in Moab, I cant imagine riding on trails like Sov, Porc, Amassa etc. with anything bigger or smaller (ok> give or take an inch) and achieving the same flow on such abusive violence.
    All props to MONOGOD dude's vid's, but my grandma rides faster than that, and she's 6' deep bro!
    As several have said before me, those vids are all the evidence I would need to roll 5-7 inches of luciouse travel if I was in your shoes.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If it aint going to be your last time at Moab do the rigid for the experience.
    Leave no bolt untuned!

mtbr member
    There are trails that are really fun on my rigid SS - Slickrock and Sovreign, for example. But I go to Moab to bomb down rocky stuff on 7" of squish, so there's no way I'd ONLY bring my SS on a normal trip (I normally bring it to do a practice loop on Slickrock after a ride on the big bike, or to hit Sovreign for a short ride on the way home.). I go probably a dozen times a year though, so if I was, say - going with a group of other people on rigid bikes and that was the plan - that would be fun. But normally, I want to go fast and shuttle porcupine and whatnot and so do most of the people I'm there with and that would be the wrong bike.

Though, the hardtail sounds just as bad if not worse, so I'd bring the SS and demo a big bike while you're there.

EDR
    On last years trip 3 of us rode 5 to 6'' travel fs bikes and another rode his HT. We routinely stopped on the Porc Rim and Amasa downhill sections to wait up for him as you never know when someone might have had a mech problem behind you. Sometimes we'd have to wait several minutes. He never had a mech problems he just couldn't keep up our pace on his HT. He didn't seem to have as good a time as us b/c he wasn't part of the group most of the time (down). All the fun of hitting jumps/drops/ledges at speed that we enjoyed together he either hit on his own or navigated through or around at a much slower pace.

If you are a strong rider you can ride anything in Moab but if you are going with a group who is bombing on FS bikes, I'd go with the flow if for no other reason than just to keep pace and enjoy the group fun.