mtbr member

Free or Cheap Camping, Hurricane/St. George area?

Howdy y'all,

I'm breaking from the tradition of heading to Indian Creek and Moab to get out of the Tetons this spring for the first time in many years. Need a change from ticking crack climbs off the list, and have a brand new freeride bike in the basement that I am dying to ride. None of us are familiar with the Hurricane, St. Geoorge Zion area, so any info is great.

The plan...2 couples come south for nine days of sun, canyoneering, maybe a classic climb in Zion, and some riding. The cllassic multi-sport SW Utah getaway on a budget. We will spend the majority of our time doing whatever is most fun in the moment. I've camped at a free site just outside Zion years ago, but want to know where to camp closer to some riding. To put it more succinctly...

1) What areas do you recommend for concentrated drops, gaps, wall rides etc? Seems most trail advise I've found by searching is more for the type who like pedaling. utuahmountainbiking.com is great, but more info is always good when vacation time is short.

2) Where is a good free, or at least cheap place to camp near the recommended riding? I've searched the forums but only find hotel/motel advise.

I'll gladly take any other advise on must see canyons, hikes, ridge traverses as well.

Thanks ahead for your help, we are really looking forward to exploring the area.

DRS

I'd rather be biking...
    redbull rampage site in virgin, ut is probably your pick stop to ride

mtbr member
    Hadn't thought of that, but duh, it's right there. Thanks. Will definitely have to check it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    there is plenty of free camping up on the mesa on the way to gooseberry... unless its marked you can stay for 14 days... you can be out near the trails at the goose or closer to town if you want more of that access.... goose is a must hit for what you said... treat is as a big bike natural bikepark not an epic xc ride...if you cant find it out there you lack vision...there is also WAY more big bike riding NOT on the net than on..... (We like it that way!) but the locals are usually uber-friendly and willing to share if you agree to not post the goods.... stop into Zion cycles for more beta and or a local guide

mtbr member
    Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for your help.

DRS

mtbr member
    I second the old Rampage site. Free camping across the road. Killer riding. And just miles from Zion and Hurricane. A few more miles to St George to get some good eats. Alot of the riding is well developed for all levels of riding.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    there is actually a free blm campsite ans swimming hole just past the old redbull site that doesn't get used very often and is secluded off the road and right by the river. The swimming hole there is called lower sunset. I find the whole camping area is either completely empty or got a troop of boys scouts in it, rarely do I see just a car or two.... once again stop by Zion cycles for exact location

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Snow Canyon State Park near St George, isn't free but it's a nice campground and has warm showers.

I'd rather be biking...
    That spot furrykid said is a great spot. That reminds me, I always see cars and campers parked off the highway down by the river just before you get into springdale/rockville. Ive always noticed them on the way to zion and have wanted to camp there just cause its free and has great scenery even though i live just in stg. 37* 10'14.60" N 113* 06'29.38" W

I'd rather be biking...
    Forgot to mention, that camping spot is less then 10 minutes from redbull, 10 minutes from zion and springdale(Food) and 10 minutes from gooseberry

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    10 minutes from gooseberry
    I want to see you get from that site to Goose in 10 minutes.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The locals refer to that area as "mosquito cove" and it is real pretty, but I always recommend elsewhere for a couple of reasons.... First, that area is the most common free camping near the park and thus can get pretty beat with all the traffic it sees.... Think toilet paper land mines everywhere. At times, it is joked in town to be called "staff infection" cove. The second reason i recommend elsewhere is that one of the rangers who oversees that area is known to be a little over-zealous.... no small number of people (both one time locals and tourists,) have been arrested there for various things. One of the most common is being busted smoking pot by the ranger lurking in the dark with nightvision goggles. I personally know of 8 or so people who have had that misfortune. Most are just innocently sitting by a campfire when the ranger stalks out of the dark to bust them. I'm not condoning or condemning the drug use, I just find that type of covert law enforcement to creepy to risk the ruin of a beautiful weekend camping in Zion. In other words there aaare only about a million acres of nowhere around here to hide in, rather than camping in the most high profile area around. Once again check with Zion cycles for more beta...

I'd rather be biking...
    I want to see you get from that site to Goose in 10 minutes.
    Didnt say you could be at the trailhead on your bike in 10 minutes but you would be on "gooseberry mesa"

NMBP
    Didnt say you could be at the trailhead on your bike in 10 minutes but you would be on "gooseberry mesa"
    Are we talking "on top of goose", or just barely starting up the Mesa?

I'd rather be biking...
    Sorry DRSMONKEY I may have gave you some "false" information, CRASHTESTDUMMY has pointed out that it takes longer to reach gooseberry mesa from that particular location. It may take you longer then 10 minutes to reach gooseberry mesa from that particular location. So please dont fill your car up with gas for just a 20 minute round trip drive, or tell your fiends that you will be there in 10 minutes sharp, or turn around and drive home after 10 minutes of not reaching the trailhead. If you do not adhere to these instructions someone maybe disappointed or might possibly be injured or death may occur from my miscalculation. Do not for any reason take my opinion/suggestion of drive time because they are only a "guesstamation" and are in no way approximant times. I am not in any way responsible for any property damage or injury due to my "Guesstamation" of drive times. Apparently I am horrible at judging drive times perhaps i should just keep to my day job.
    If you would like to know the correct drive times to A zion, B redbull, and C Gooseberry. I would ask CRASHTESTDUMMY. Seems as though he maybe more inclined about this

Sorry for any head aches i may have caused.

NMBP
    Sorry DRSMONKEY I may have gave you some "false" information, CRASHTESTDUMMY has pointed out that it takes longer to reach gooseberry mesa from that particular location. It may take you longer then 10 minutes to reach gooseberry mesa from that particular location. So please dont fill your car up with gas for just a 20 minute round trip drive, or tell your fiends that you will be there in 10 minutes sharp, or turn around and drive home after 10 minutes of not reaching the trailhead. If you do not adhere to these instructions someone maybe disappointed or might possibly be injured or death may occur from my miscalculation. Do not for any reason take my opinion/suggestion of drive time because they are only a "guesstamation" and are in no way approximant times. I am not in any way responsible for any property damage or injury due to my "Guesstamation" of drive times. Apparently I am horrible at judging drive times perhaps i should just keep to my day job.
    If you would like to know the correct drive times to A zion, B redbull, and C Gooseberry. I would ask CRASHTESTDUMMY. Seems as though he maybe more inclined about this

Sorry for any head aches i may have caused.
    Don't get your panties in a bunch. A quick TOPO route shows me that the camp site in question is 14 miles from the outhouse on Gooseberry. Most of the time the dirt road section is a slow drive. As far as the time to Zion, I never said I had an issue with that time. I don't even know where the "Red Bull site" is.

Sorry you feel threatened by my ribbing.

I'd rather be biking...
    I'm fine, just amused.When i guessed i figured it was like 10 miles max. I also checked it on google earth and saw it was longer then what i guessed; 5 miles on the highway 5 miles to the goose turn off then 4 miles to the outhouses. your right. when i said 10 minutes i ment where the crow flys....

NMBP
    I'm fine, just amused.When i guessed i figured it was like 10 miles max. I also checked it on google earth and saw it was longer then what i guessed; 5 miles on the highway 5 miles to the goose turn off then 4 miles to the outhouses. your right. when i said 10 minutes i ment where the crow flys....

Hey not a problem, I just like being anal occasionally, OK, all the time. And while I'm at it, I don't think we have very many crows in SW Utah, so it should be as the Raven flies.

mtbr member
    I am heading to Gooseberry on the 10 of April I well be towing a pop up trailer any suggestions to camping the trailer has OK clearance no a off road trailer. Close is nice but a nice spot is important too let me know what you guys think.

Later
    JRA

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    I am heading to Gooseberry on the 10 of April I well be towing a pop up trailer any suggestions to camping the trailer has OK clearance no a off road trailer. Close is nice but a nice spot is important too let me know what you guys think.

Later
    I haven't been to Goose yet this spring so I don't know the current condition of the road. As long as the road is reasonably dry you should be OK. The worst part of the road is usually from the outhouse intersection out to the main trail head. There are camping spots before this, so you don't need to pull the trailer that last 1/2 mile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The road coming in from hurricane should be fine. I wouldn't try to get there from the rockville side, crybaby hill is gnarly right now. That said, i agree you should find plenty of places to park it that are close enough.