Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

FR/DH trail advice in SLC/Park City area for Idaho guy

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Err 
#1 ·
Hey there,

I am heading down to SLC from Boise for work in a week and a half and plan to haul my bike with me. I am going to have about 6 or 7 hours to ride on the morning after my work event (I plan to start riding about 6AM and go til noon or 1, then drive back to Boise), and I'd like to pack in the best riding I can in that time. I was thinking about going up to Park City first to ride that little bike park that was put in there last year for a bit, and then head back to SLC and ride Bobsled quick.

However, I thought I'd check with you guys here to see if you might have some better ideas for me. I'll be on my Cove STD and I'll be solo. I am no pro, and I am also old (44), but I do enjoy jumps/flow/skinnys/ladders and basically any interesting features a trail might have. Here's a little vid I did of last year's riding:

Jim Montgomery - 2011 Edit Video - Pinkbike.com

Thanks in advance for the help.

#3 ·
The Bob's Basin stuff across the freeway from Arcylon is fun, too. The climb is mellow and you can get a lap in about 20 minutes. None of it is like your videos, obviously, but it is fun for an hour or two of playing around. I kinda like it better than Bobsled, which is a fun 5 minutes of fury, but almost isn't worth the long trip back to the top.

If you do go ride Bobsled, you're right by the I-Street jumps, so you could hit those, too.

Nice vid, by the way.

#4 ·
Hey,

Thanks much for the advice/help......appreciate it. Sounds to me like I ought to try Arcylon and Bob's Basin and maybe also Bobsled if I've got time......I think I'll bail on the Trail Side Park. Do you guys happen to have any directions to Arcylon/Bob's Basin and Bobsled? If so, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

#5 ·
They're both easy to find. Good directions for each on utahmountainbiking.com in the trails section. A few ways you can approach Bob's -- I think that the quickest way is to take the "Bad Apple" trailhead which is just East of the Jeremy Ranch exit on the North side of the freeway.

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah, skip Bobs Basin, its definitely not what you are looking for. . Arcylon and Bobsled are easily the best (and most popular) trails around here, both are unique, and you shouldn't miss.

BTW some trail descriptions have you acess Bobsled through Dry Creek. Don't do that. That is the long way, only if you are looking for a longer workout. With your limited time you want to access from the the Trailhead at the top of Terrace Hills Drive. Go to the Park above 11th ave. You can park there and ride up the road up, or, if you meet people you can shuttle. From terrace hill TH the climb is only 10 mins and it's fast and easy to do laps.

#10 ·
Wow.......can't thank you guys enough

Well, I got out of my meeting early on Tuesday and made it to Arcylon parking lot at about 4. To make a very long story short, I didn't leave The Road to Arcylon until 8:45PM........haven't ridden that long on one trail in a very long time. I can't thank you guys enough for the trail advice.......you were spot on. That is one of the more fun trails I've ever hit in my life.......to you trail builders/designers out there, many kudos on a job very well done. I had so much fun on that damn trail I went back at 6:30AM Wednesday morning and hit it up for 2 more laps......I had planned on doing Bobsled Wednesday morning but just couldn't get Arcylon off my brain.

Again, thanks much for the trail advice everyone and I also can't thank you Arcylon builders and maintainers enough for a fantastic trail! I will be back, and can't wait to hit it again. Here's a little vid I did of the trail. Take care everyone and have a great riding season:

The Road to Arcylon Video - Pinkbike

#12 ·
Cheers @2planker110. Glad you liked it. A lot of people have put in a lot of hard work on that trail the last couple of years, and Basin Rec does a great job maintaining its berm-tasticness. It's nice to hear it's as enjoyable to a visitor as it is to all the locals. Come on down and ride often!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.