Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Flying Dog clockwise or counterclockwise?

I rode Flying Dog clockwise direction several years ago. I enjoyed it. But, I have heard some people prefer counter-clockwise. I will be in PC next weekend and was planning on doing it. What are relative advantages/disadvantages of each direction? Thanks for any info.

@trailgrinder
    You need to go ride pine cone why your here. I like it counter clockwise because you get the crappy west facing I 80 stuff on the way down and your not riding it in the heat.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am aware of the Pinecone trail, but have never done it. what is great about it. Great uphill or downhill? Or both?

@trailgrinder
    Great climb to the crest, you get some great views of both sides of the valley and out and back your about 18 miles. Depends on what type of riding you like but is the newes greatest trail that everyone is raving about. I guess I should have asked if you like climbing or what? Flying dog has been dumbed down in the last year a bit but is still great. If you ride on the new pine cone trail you can link a great ride together and it should be a little cooler

@trailgrinder
    Are you staying in PC. You should come ride up north at snowbasin, great trails minus all the people

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yes, staying in PC with 5 other guys. A couple of the people have never mountain biked. So, not looking for anything too hard. We are biking for 3.5 days. Plan is to ride, ski lift or shuttle everywhere as we will not have vehicles to accomodate 6 bikes. Actually a friend of mine who lives in Ogden and rides that area may join us on Crest Trail ride. But I think we're not going to get out of Park City this trip.

@trailgrinder
    nice, yeah pinecone is not a beginner trail for those who havent ridden due to the 3,000 foot climb that you are doing. Sounds like the Canyons has bridged the gap in the downhill segment and really made some improvements this year and will give you some other options for the gondola ride up. Going to be a great trip and fun times in PC, hope everyone enjoys!

@trailgrinder
    just checked your profile, looks like I will be trying to do some riding in your neck of the woods in October, sounds like you got everything handled but if you have any other questions or need anything else PM and I can give you my number while your out here. Good luck man!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Coming to Maui? Have you ridden here before? I presume you're not just coming to mountain bike? If you're not real familiar with Maui, PM me as I've lived here for 27 years, so know the island well.

@trailgrinder
    I am coming for a vacation but am going to have plenty of time to ride, I looked into renting a bike and will hit you up before I get there for a little more info. Was planning on riding the xterra course at least?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    PM sent re Maui beta.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Counter clockwise for sure.

mtbr member
    Clockwise when it's hot, otherwise the climb is all in the sun. Most people don't seem to like clockwise because the downhill is rocky, with tight turns. I like the downhill because it's rocky, with tight turns.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Clockwise, the descent is short with blownout moondust switchbacks.

Counter clockwise, the descent is twice as long, flows through huge Aspen groves, and retains more moisture.

To each their own, but I certainly don't ride it clockwise anymore because I find it too "challenging." It's just flat out longer and more fun the other way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OMZ View Post
    Clockwise, the descent is short with blownout moondust switchbacks.

Counter clockwise, the descent is twice as long, flows through huge Aspen groves, and retains more moisture.

To each their own, but I certainly don't ride it clockwise anymore because I find it too "challenging." It's just flat out longer and more fun the other way.
    Shoot, neither way is any more challenging than Glenwilde, just longer. CC is still fun and leisurely. Kind of like a pleasant Sunday drive. I never said anything about it being too "challenging" clockwise did I?
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 09-04-2012 at 06:10 AM.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    "Most people don't ride it counter clockwise because the climb is rocky, with tight turns. I like the climb because it's rocky, with tight turns."

If I were to have phrased it that way, wouldn't it make it sound like I thought I was some sort of badass who is on another level than the other riders on the trail who do it differently?

Regardless, it's a non issue. The trail is low intermediate difficulty either direction, and is really a spring / fall shoulder season ride anyways. Just something decent when nothing better is available...

mtbr member
    I have to watch what I say around my wife and my girlfriend and now MTBR...bummer. I apologize for the insult.

Quote Originally Posted by OMZ View Post
    "Most people don't ride it counter clockwise because the climb is rocky, with tight turns. I like the climb because it's rocky, with tight turns."

If I were to have phrased it that way, wouldn't it make it sound like I thought I was some sort of badass who is on another level than the other riders on the trail who do it differently?

Regardless, it's a non issue. The trail is low intermediate difficulty either direction, and is really a spring / fall shoulder season ride anyways. Just something decent when nothing better is available...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    MSU Alum, 60 years old, biking up 3000 vert ft, AND wife and girlfriend! I'm 57 and having trouble just handling a wife. You are my hero.

mtbr member
    Are you around today? I'm thinking of going out for a ride if you want to go. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by stenou View Post
    MSU Alum, 60 years old, biking up 3000 vert ft, AND wife and girlfriend! I'm 57 and having trouble just handling a wife. You are my hero.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I like riding it in either direction. CW the climb is mellower, and the decent is steeper, rockier and shorter. CCW has the smooth flowing down hill. Just depends what I'm in the mood for, it's all good.

Picture Unrelated
    If you like blown out switchback descents then clockwise.

If you prefer fast flowing ribbons of dirt then you would probably prefer counter clockwise.

My preference is always the long, flowing, fast trail CCW. I honestly can't believe that anyone would want to descend those switchbacks on purpose when the trail in the other direction is completely amazing. If only we could get alternating directional days then you could really let loose on the downhills no matter which direction you choose.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for replies. Will do cc.

mtbr member
    I'm contrary. Usually I'll just ride up the long flowing side and turn around and go back down. Best of both worlds (and yes, I generally prefer loops)
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hmm, I don't find the clockwise switchbacks to be "blown out" at all. Steep and rocky maybe. I find them a blast to ride at speed,but I do ride a 140mm travel trail bike. I would assume a hard tail or short travel XC rig would make that route less enjoyable.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Hmm, I don't find the clockwise switchbacks to be "blown out" at all. Steep and rocky maybe. I find them a blast to ride at speed,but I do ride a 140mm travel trail bike. I would assume a hard tail or short travel XC rig would make that route less enjoyable.
    Or comparing it to the other option when you are at the top, but as long as you are having fun then it is all good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast