mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Fist Time To Salt Lake… Looking for recommendations/advice

Fist Time To Salt Lake… Looking for recommendations/advice

Its not only first time to salt lake, but first trip with the bike out west. Myself and two friends (all from Minnesota) are driving out Tue May 27th and staying through Sun Jun 1st. Our intent is to A. see world superbike/AMA motorcycle racing at miller motorsports park in Tooele, and B. mtn bike as much as we can. We are towing our accommodations out with us and plan to use one of the local camp/RV sites as home for Tue and Wed, for Thur thru Sat will have the RV at the track in Tooele.

Is this our best resource for tail maps?
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/

Any specific trails we should definitely check out? Looks like will be out kind of early for the higher elevation stuff, any recommendations in that regard?

Any thoughts on where to set up camp on Tue. and Wed.? We are willing to commute around a bit.
    Any Local bike shops we should check into for better trail info? Anyone wanna show us around/go for a ride? Anyone going to the races?

Any tips for bike setup or essentials to bring with on the trail that we might not be accustom to (most of our riding is done within suburban county parks). At least two of our three will have cycle computers, and we are hoping to have GPS for back up in one of our packs (not bar mounted). Also, hoping to use GPS to navigate from camp to trail head(s).

Keep in mind we’re from Minnesota (flat), I ride a hard tail and my friends are both on epics.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Nick

Grizzly
    http://www.adventuremaps.net/product/product.php?pid=37

The link above is to the best area map in my opinion.

Some of the must sees would include The Crest, and the surrounding trails (Mill D North, Dog Lake, etc...), although late May still might have some snow pack up there...

Park City trails are a must see.

In Utah Country The Ridge Trail 157 is a classic.

There is good riding at Solitude ski resort as well.

All of the above have lung busting climbs, and will take you up around 9k feet. But all of the above are classic trails, and represent the very best of the Wasatch.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'd definitely say that the utahmountainbiking site is the best place to start. Also the trail spots for utah on this site are all right. Like the last person said, crest and solitude are pretty fun. But with how much snow we have, I'm not sure if crest will be ready or not.

As for park city, any of the stuff in glenwild (flying dog, glenwild dh trails, etc) are pretty fun and they won't kill your lungs with big grueling climbs. Deer Valley has some fun lift accessed stuff if you want to go that route. Or the local shops (jans, cole's, and white pine touring) have nightly rides where they take people out and show people around for free so that might also be something to check into.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There is limited, but pretty good MTB riding in Tooele

In Settlement canyon there is around 10 miles of singletrack that parallels the road. Good little climb, fast and fun to descend. Its easy to find, because there is only a single trail on the south side of the road. It starts just after the little ranger station. Its also called the dark trail.
    There is also a trail called white pine in Middle Canyon.
    those are the closest rides to the raceway. Everything else is going to be an hour drive away at least. SLC is 1 hour from Tooele. Park city is 1.5. American Fork canyon 2. and Solitude 2.5. These are estimates. It depends what time of year you are coming. most of the Park city trails will be snowed in until at least the 4th of july.
    Ok enough for now.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the info. Anyone else care to share?

Cycle computers, cue sheet clips, and the adventure map are on order.

We are starting to humor the idea of driving to Moab and staying there Tuesday and Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Be sure to post up asking about trail conditions when you're close to getting here. There have been a lot of good suggestions here but some of the higher stuff is still likely to be snowbound.

As for Tooele riding, there is or at least used to be a brochure that listed biking routes and trails for Tooele county. When you get into town you could look for it at the chamber of commerce. Depending on how much time you have you'd be better off heading over to the Wasatch Front/Park city area in my opinion. If you're limited on time, the options presented earlier are good, with some clarifications. In Settlement canyon the Dark trail runs about 2 miles, at the most, until you reach a locked gate with a notice that travel beyond must be obtained by the landowners. If you are granted permsission (there is a number to call) the trail peters out within quarter mile or so, and really just becomes a horse track littered with dead fall. However, the dirt road beside it is reasonably fun and has a large number of stream crossings starting about two miles farther up. About 5 miles past the gate the road reverts back to a track that drops over into Soldier Canyon. This would be a very long loop if you continued down.

Just past the cattle gaurd in Settlement canyon is another trail called Left Hand fork. Take the paved road left about 3/4 mile and when you come to a gate/fence there is a trail cutting off to the left that goes around and behind the structure there. I've never biked this but I've hiked it and remember it being plenty steep. If you continue on you will start to head downhill and will take you to Bear trap flat in upper Settlement canyon, where you can take the road and the Dark trail back to your car, again, if you have permission from the landowners.

If you do White Pine canyon, just head up middle canyon until the pavement ends. On the right is White Pine canyon. This is double track for a mile or so just past an old mine. It then becomes singletrack although pretty steep. For a fun loop, though, park here and then bike up Middle canyon road (dirt, washboarded) for about a mile to the ridge top. Enjoy the view into Salt Lake city. From here, to your left there is a gravel road that climbs some more to an overlook of the bingham copper mine. This is about 3 miles. The treat though is to your right. You'll see three trails, one that goes south east, one that goes up the ridgeline, and one that starts of fairly wide that heads to the southwest. Take this last one, it shortly narrows to singletrack and winds around a couple of side canyons before dropping you about 3/4 mile up White Pine canyon where you can ride back down to your car. Forget about trying to find this trail by riding UP White pine, it comes in high on a washout across the stream and through the trees from the doubletrack and is completely inconspicous. This would be my choice if I had an hour or two to kill.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well I ride it different then you.

I did not mean to say that the dark trail is 10 miles in length, rather that there are 10 miles of trail you can ride in settlement. I ride up left hand and around Bear trap and then Down the Dark trail. which is over 10 miles. I ride from my house which adds time and distance. I was not trying to give a ride guide just saying that there is riding to be had within 10 mins of the Raceway.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Right. I was just clarifying this statement:

In Settlement canyon there is around 10 miles of singletrack that parallels the road. Good little climb, fast and fun to descend. Its easy to find, because there is only a single trail on the south side of the road. It starts just after the little ranger station. Its also called the dark trail.
    If I didn't know the area, and that trail (the Dark trail), your description would be misleading. So I just wanted to clarify that the Dark trail is about two miles long before one would run into access/tresspassing/poaching issues. The same applies to left hand fork past the ridge where you begin to descend.

I think we can agree that the dark trail is a fun descent, as long as you don't run over any cows!