mtbr member
    Sep 2007

First trip to Moab!

I will be in Moab this weekend the 12-14. First time, and I can't wait! I plan to camp in one of the blm sites. Does anyone have recomendations? Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'll be using a tent. I did check out the campsite info on the Moab site and there is a pretty good list to pick from. Also, if anyone is interested in meeting up for a ride, I would welcome the company. I am a med. skilled rider, just getting started again from the winter season.
    [SIZE="4"]Ride hard or go home![/SIZE]

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Sand Flats is probably the easiest place to tent camp and gets good early-morning sun.

Enjoy!

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by demondawg
    I will be in Moab this weekend the 12-14. First time, and I can't wait! I plan to camp in one of the blm sites. Does anyone have recomendations? Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'll be using a tent. I did check out the campsite info on the Moab site and there is a pretty good list to pick from. Also, if anyone is interested in meeting up for a ride, I would welcome the company. I am a med. skilled rider, just getting started again from the winter season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Camping

You have to decide whether convenience to town is a big factor. The very best tent camping sites are out on Kane Creek Road. I say best because of their proximity to town, and water (there are springs in the rock out there), and less traffic/noise than Sand Flats. Moonflower is awesome, but so are the others further out.

Sand Flats is good if you can find a shaded spot protected from the wind. The wind can really howl up there. My tent blew away once.....put heavy things in your tent because the stakes don't hold in the sand. Also, don't pitch in a gully, or you'll have a rude awakening when it rains.

Along the river there are more RVs, but you can find some nice spots out that way You'll have to deal with the highway noise.

Ken's Lake has spots, but that is a big RV area and you are likely to hear generators.

Up north off of Dubinky Well Road there are some cool spots next to some rock outcroppings, but you are 25 minutes from town by car.

Devil's Garden in Arches is worth it if you can squeeze in there and you like to hike.

Fragilie
    A few of us are coming up from New Mexico on Friday, we'll be staying at Sand Flats and you're more than welcome to ride with us. Look for a White Toyota Tundra with matching shell and a pair of Turners.

Eric
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    wow! Thank you all for your excelent advice and recommendations! Thank you Eric B, I will keep an eye out for you guys! Peace, seclusion, scenery and access to trails are my priority. Not really access to town. So that said, maybe sandflats is or is'nt my best option? I am bringing plenty of water with me so thats not really a factor. Sorry for the redundancy but I only have a couple days and being my first time out there I'm really trying to get a game plan before i leave.
    [SIZE="4"]Ride hard or go home![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Mill Creek area. Just south of the airport on the west side of 191. Free BLM camping all over the place. There is some OHV action out here but you can get to some pretty secluded spots. We've been bugged a few times by rangers to have the portable toilets so make sure to pick one up from town.

mtbr member

Kane Creeks USED to be good!

Last year they hiked the damn price WAY up at Kane Springs Campground. They wanted $30a night + $10 bike+ $10 a shower and I once was the victim of an attempted jacking of our camp that had 8 bikes but only 2 of us there at the time by some methed out sand people> they finally realized that me and my boy were down to tussle for the gear and took off. Sand flats!