mtbr member

Fire Damage to Utah Trails?

For starters there are obviously more important things to be concerned about than bike trails, and my prayers go out to all those that have lost homes and more to the terrible fires around Utah. But life does go on, and I'm wondering if any trails have been impacted by the fires, either damage from the fires or even closures still in effect.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lambert Park in Alpine has been effected. The damage was less than what I thought it would be, but where the fire had hit, the damage was worse than I thought it would be.

Upper Spring trail was the fire line. Everything north of Spring is fine, everything south is not. Its weird too, its all single track in the area and the trail is at best two feet wide. There are scrub oaks on both sides of the trail that are 10-15 feet tall. As I stated earlier, everything on the north is ok and to the south is toast. I am really, really surprised the fire did not jump the line with such large trees there.

Likewise, lower Zag is the fire line. Everything east of lower Zag is gone. There is not one thing living or green. It is rocks and burned stuff. That's it. It was like riding through some otherworld moonscape.

Zag, Ziggy, White Dog, Brown Dog, Black Dog, Widowmaker, and Corkscrew have been hit and hit hard. There is damage on Spring. But other than that, everything else seems to be A-OK.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Everything down here in SW Utah is fine. We were pretty fortunate.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

I'd rather be biking...
    The only flames the trails down south saw was this bike on BCP yesterday afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire Damage to Utah Trails?-0619kmf_20.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It will be green with new little plants next spring. That is how nature works. It requires fire. We have suppressed fire for so long, now we have super fires because all of our forests are tinderboxes and the beetle has taken over making the situation worse. If we had more fires, the beetle would get in control and then we would not have the big ones. If you f%ck with nature it will f%*k you up.

mtbr member
    they need to let some of the fires burn, protect homes, but just let the scrub oak and sage brush burn. let nature do it's thing. back when there was a zero burn tolerance it caused a lot of build up. look what happened to Yellowstone all those years back. really if no homes are structures are in danger, just let it take it's course.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    they need to let some of the fires burn, protect homes, but just let the scrub oak and sage brush burn. let nature do it's thing. back when there was a zero burn tolerance it caused a lot of build up. look what happened to Yellowstone all those years back. really if no homes are structures are in danger, just let it take it's course.
    I agree with you. The wildland fire policy this nation has taken has been abyssmal. However, most of these fires are not part of nature, They are man-made. Target shooting, fireworks, cars, careless campfires, and, in the case of the Alpine fires, a trackhoe cause them. So, for the most part, if man caused the fire, man should put out the fire.
    Last edited by kiddynamite; 07-09-2012 at 03:35 PM.