mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Favorite trails near Park City

I'm heading out to Park City to ride. Looking for some ideas for rides. I have 5-6 days, looking for fun downhills and don't mind climbing.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Most people will say the Wasatch Crest Trail is the #1 ride and a lot of peeps like Flying Dog on the other side of the freeway. The only trail that is super popular that is a disaster waiting to happen is Pinecone. That would be an awesome trail if they would make it directional, really swapping directions every other day or whatever. You can haul down it wicked fast but the problem is ALOT of people climb it and I've seen a ton of close calls. There's not a lot of room for error if you're going down either because if you go off trail at high speed, you have about a 100% of hitting a tree that won't flinch.

There's also a ton of great, fast intermediate stuff over at Deer Valley itself. Deer Crest, across Outlook over to Spin Cycle is a blast. Getting back from Spin Cycle is the issue.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 06-15-2015 at 02:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I haven't been riding there since the Deer Valley NORBA days, the riding there has really grown. I am excited to get out there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've been doing a lot of riding in the Deer Valley and Park City area the past few weeks. It's hard to admit it's an area that I've ignored, staying mostly on Pinecone and Mid Mountain. I'm learning my way around now. The riding there is really good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Head out from lower Deer Valley (Snow Park). Go up Deer Crest. Stay on this until you get to upper Deer Valley lodges (Silver Lake). Then get on Mid-Mtn (go past chair lift and make left right after going under a bridge) for a little bit and take a left onto Team Big Bear. At top of this, head left toward Flagstaff Loop. Go to top and find a loop called Bow Hunter. Take this clockwise. Back to Flagstaff loop. Can go back down Team BB or go a little farther down and take Tour de Suds to Mid Mtn. Can then ride back the way you came or take Mid-Mtn to PCMR, hooking up with a number of trails in PC that go down to base...then ride road back to DV parking lot.
    There are great maps at any local bike shop. Probly good to have a map up in Flagstaff-Bow Hunter area.
    That's my favorite ride...steep, great views, little bit of technical on Team Big Bear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wingforward View Post
    Head out from lower Deer Valley (Snow Park). Go up Deer Crest. Stay on this until you get to upper Deer Valley lodges (Silver Lake). Then get on Mid-Mtn (go past chair lift and make left right after going under a bridge) for a little bit and take a left onto Team Big Bear. At top of this, head left toward Flagstaff Loop. Go to top and find a loop called Bow Hunter. Take this clockwise. Back to Flagstaff loop. Can go back down Team BB or go a little farther down and take Tour de Suds to Mid Mtn. Can then ride back the way you came or take Mid-Mtn to PCMR, hooking up with a number of trails in PC that go down to base...then ride road back to DV parking lot.
    There are great maps at any local bike shop. Probly good to have a map up in Flagstaff-Bow Hunter area.
    That's my favorite ride...steep, great views, little bit of technical on Team Big Bear.
    We did almost this exact ride one day, Team Big Bear damn near did me in. Luckily, my fitness is much better nowadays so I think I'd do better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice! Thanks for the info. I've been skiing and snowboarding in Park City a lot the past few years. This past winter, as lean as it was, I was riding the lifts watching the singletrack appear and daydreaming about riding it. I'm excited to get out there

mtbr member
    For a flowy time, make it anything in Round Valley back up the rail trail, up Skid Row and then down Lost Prospector.

Or the other way around.

Fun, quick, flowy loop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I did a lot of riding the past few days, had a blast. Rode pcmr the first day rode a ton of stuff, up spirt mid mountain, loose moose, tommys two step, johns trail, a few others I can't recall.
    Then rode Deer Valley the past two days, checked out tidal wave, nail driver aspen slalom, freestyle, fireworm, he dog pound trails, etc. The new flow trail stuff was fun, and should be killer when it is all done. My favorite was definitely the bowhunter, corvair, TG area. Super fun flowy singletrack.
    Today I got out and rode the trailside bike park. Way too much fun! I don't get to ride stuff like that often. I am not a big air guy, so I stayed away from bamm bamm, but the rest was amazing

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That bowhunter, corsair TG area is awesome and now well-known. Also, Payroll up there is a blast. A little steeper and more technical. Thanks for the update at DV. I'm going up and staying in Deer Crest for a month starting July 7th.

mtbr member
    I have a sort-of related question: which bike & tires would be most fun to bring to Park City in a few weeks?

My two bikes:
    1) 29er trail bike with 140mm fork and 110mm shock, dropper post, shortish stem, currently meaty Specialized Purgatory 2.4" tires on because that's been good for Northstar, Downieville, and Mammoth. I have 2.0" Captain tires I could put on it if 2.4" is overkill.
    2) 29er carbon hardtail with a 100mm fork and wispy Specialized Renegade tires.

I'm staying with my family in the middle of Park City, so I'll probably be riding close to there (pedaling up or chairlift? not sure) at least once I plan to shuttle to Wasatch Crest Trail and then ride back down to Park City.

In terms of what trails I like... I've heard that the singletrack there is pretty buff which sounds sweet. Moderately rocky and technical is awesome too, as are berms and flow. I'm not as interested in DH, jumps, or wooden structures.

Thanks!
    Alex

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    AABBAS:

I'd recommend the HT. Some of the long descents (ie from Crest trail) can get tiresome on HT but other than that, I think you will be happy with your specialized setup.

A great ride is from PC: Armstrong to Midmtn (MM), head south (left) on MM, turn west (right) on Pinecone and ride to top, then follow crest trail (staying right at forks) north and then descending to Canyons, going either way on MM (if you go left can take MM to Ambush to Rob's to Collins, if you go right can take MM to Hollys and down to base). A three mile or so ride up road to PC. Crest trail has a few technical spots which are not hard to miss.

Or just turn around at top of Pinecone and ride back down, turning south (right) at MM and riding to and descending Spiro.

Another really fun ride is the UOP trail (head out from Redstone near Whole Foods), take the trail (I think its called Iron Mike or something) to end at road, turn left and go down hill to Rob's (TH on right), then climb Rob's to Ambush to MM to Hollys, or can just turn around and trace route back--both Rob's and POC are fun descents as well.

Have fun. There is so much SS out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aabbas View Post
    I have a sort-of related question: which bike & tires would be most fun to bring to Park City in a few weeks?

My two bikes:
    1) 29er trail bike with 140mm fork and 110mm shock, dropper post, shortish stem, currently meaty Specialized Purgatory 2.4" tires on because that's been good for Northstar, Downieville, and Mammoth. I have 2.0" Captain tires I could put on it if 2.4" is overkill.
    2) 29er carbon hardtail with a 100mm fork and wispy Specialized Renegade tires.

Alex
    No question....the trail bike. But to be honest, I'd give you the same answer no matter what as I only ride my hardtail as a last resort. Seriously though, I would guess that most people would say that a 120mm bike is perfect for most of the riding in that area. I'm the type that would NEVER say "dang, the 160mm of travel on my Mach 6 is too much suspension for this trail. i'm going home". Suspension = comfort for me.

You'll have a great time in Park City with the trails you like. The abundance of trails in the area is pretty sweet.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Either bike will be fine. If you want to hit the "rougher" stuff (ie Canyons, DV DH trails, maybe Trailside Bike Park) bring the dually. If you want to put in a lot of miles in the aspens and ride fast on twisty loam, bring the hardtail. If you're not sure, bring the dually, it'll be fun enough on everything.

-W
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Bring the FS if it's not too heavy. Only advantage a hardtail MIGHT give you is speedier climbs. But less comfortable. And the climbs are LONG. IDK why anyone would consider riding a HT there unless for a short race, especially if you have a nice dually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Bring the FS if it's not too heavy. Only advantage a hardtail MIGHT give you is speedier climbs. But less comfortable. And the climbs are LONG. IDK why anyone would consider riding a HT there unless for a short race, especially if you have a nice dually.
    I ride a HT and honestly don't find it all that bad. HT is all I know, but I ride with another member here on the forums and he is always commenting on how i ride areas he does on his FS. To each their own.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How about descending Boulder? And is it easy to connect T&G to T&G2? I've ridden Corvair and Payroll and loved those trails, but am curious about Boulder and T&G.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjj1066 View Post
    How about descending Boulder? And is it easy to connect T&G to T&G2? I've ridden Corvair and Payroll and loved those trails, but am curious about Boulder and T&G.
    Boulder is a nice smooth trail with a pretty steady grade and evenly spaced gentle switchbacks. I'd say it excels as an uphill trail but it's fine to descend too. It connects with TG at the top.

Btw thanks for all the advice on which bike to bring. I went with the full suspension trail bike and was glad I did. There are a few areas that are a little bumpy or rocky and the trail bike was perfect.

Alex