Fat bikes in Utah?

Printable View

  • 11-09-2011
    atekt
    Fat bikes in Utah?
    I have really been checking out some fat bikes for the long winter ahead but can't seem to find much of anyone having one or shops carrying them. Am I missing something, I figured they would be quite popular here. Has anyone ridden them around our trails? Are they worth it? They seem like a good addition to winter training...
  • 11-09-2011
    axolotl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    I have really been checking out some fat bikes for the long winter ahead but can't seem to find much of anyone having one or shops carrying them. Am I missing something, I figured they would be quite popular here. Has anyone ridden them around our trails? Are they worth it? They seem like a good addition to winter training...

    Talk to Jon and Kim at Dharma Wheels Cyclery in Silvercreek. They will hook you up. Those bikes sell out quick so...
    Silver Creek Dental and The Dharma Wheels Cyclery
  • 11-09-2011
    SprungShoulders
    Go-Ride now has a few, as well. :thumbsup:

    Be warned, however. There is effectively ONE place you can ride a phatty on snow close to Salt Lake, and that's up in Round Valley (PC). Besides bumping along on the Shoreline -- and/or maybe Millcreek Pipeline -- when the conditions are right and foot/snowshoe traffic has been high enough to pack down the snow sufficiently.

    Don't even think about trying the Millcreek road from the winter gate to the yurt. If the Forest Service doesn't toss you out first, the sanctimoniousness prick skiers will make your life misery until they do.

    Indeed, the FS's "NO BIKES!!!!!!" sign isn't even up yet, and the pack on the road is minimal and icy at best, and in pedaling my Pugsley Tues morning from the gate to Elbow Fork (to access Pipeline) I already had a beotch skier up my arse about riding on "her ski trail". Needless to say, I expressed my feelings about her grossly swollen sense of entitlement and elitist attitudes. I swear that strapping two waxed toothpicks to your feet drops some people's IQ's to less than that of the congressional approval rating.

    That said, even riding Round Valley to excess last year, I've thoroughly enjoyed the Pugs. Snow riding is far more fun that it should be.

    Cheers.
  • 11-10-2011
    shrubeck
    I've been thinking about one too this winter. Does anyone know some decent snow riding in Utah county? I made some studded tires for my old bike and rode up the alpine loop a couple times, but I'm not sure what else there is that would be worth the investment.
  • 11-10-2011
    KThaxton
    Slim and Knobby's in Heber had/have one. Also, IIRC, White Pine had some last year, but I have not been in there in the last couple of months to see if they have any this year.
  • 11-10-2011
    axolotl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SprungShoulders View Post
    Go-Ride now has a few, as well. :thumbsup:

    Be warned, however. There is effectively ONE place you can ride a phatty on snow close to Salt Lake, and that's up in Round Valley (PC). Besides bumping along on the Shoreline -- and/or maybe Millcreek Pipeline -- when the conditions are right and foot/snowshoe traffic has been high enough to pack down the snow sufficiently.

    Don't even think about trying the Millcreek road from the winter gate to the yurt. If the Forest Service doesn't toss you out first, the sanctimoniousness prick skiers will make your life misery until they do.

    Indeed, the FS's "NO BIKES!!!!!!" sign isn't even up yet, and the pack on the road is minimal and icy at best, and in pedaling my Pugsley Tues morning from the gate to Elbow Fork (to access Pipeline) I already had a beotch skier up my arse about riding on "her ski trail". Needless to say, I expressed my feelings about her grossly swollen sense of entitlement and elitist attitudes. I swear that strapping two waxed toothpicks to your feet drops some people's IQ's to less than that of the congressional approval rating.

    That said, even riding Round Valley to excess last year, I've thoroughly enjoyed the Pugs. Snow riding is far more fun that it should be.

    Cheers.

    You mean round valley and the 300 some miles of road the state grooms? Rail trail? BST, ski runs (night time only) and the so many other places there are. Not that I'm advocating mountain biking in snow, I'm just stating my opinion that you are overlooking a lot of groomed stuff.
  • 11-10-2011
    SprungShoulders
    The Rail Trail isn't groomed. I know from first hand experience.

    Poaching ski runs on a fat bike?!?? Are you completely off your rocker, or just pretending? DH slack fat bikes are NOT. If you want to give it a go, however, let me know and I'll bring popcorn and have 9-1 pre-dialed on my phone; that leaves only one number to press to summon someone to surgically remove your remains from whatever you hit.

    Do tell... Please enlighten me as to the "300 some miles of roads the state grooms"! I'm serious. I would love a list. I'm only aware of one state-groomed highway in the area: the Mirror Lake Hwy. Not exactly a destination for a quick morning ride with the dog before heading into the office, though.

    The FS grooms quite a bit around Jackson Hole. I raced in Moran last year. There they DO have hundreds of miles of sled-groomed tracks to enjoy...
  • 11-11-2011
    axolotl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SprungShoulders View Post
    The Rail Trail isn't groomed. I know from first hand experience.

    Poaching ski runs on a fat bike?!?? Are you completely off your rocker, or just pretending? DH slack fat bikes are NOT. If you want to give it a go, however, let me know and I'll bring popcorn and have 9-1 pre-dialed on my phone; that leaves only one number to press to summon someone to surgically remove your remains from whatever you hit.

    Do tell... Please enlighten me as to the "300 some miles of roads the state grooms"! I'm serious. I would love a list. I'm only aware of one state-groomed highway in the area: the Mirror Lake Hwy. Not exactly a destination for a quick morning ride with the dog before heading into the office, though.

    The FS grooms quite a bit around Jackson Hole. I raced in Moran last year. There they DO have hundreds of miles of sled-groomed tracks to enjoy...

    How many times have you seen the rail trail not groomed? Jon at Dharma Wheels Cyclery rides his bike on the rail trail to work. Ask him if it's groomed.

    I don't think I'm off my rocker or pretending. I didn't think it was important to say that I don't ride in the snow because I think there are better things to do (read things I find more fun). I was only trying to be helpful.

    For the resorts:
    I know people who poach on dh bikes and ride the runs. That wasn't what I meant.
    each resort has some very low angle terrain. At Park City I can get to Jupiter peak on fish scale skiis on stuff you could ride a bike up. Down a ski run? I didn't say that. I think I might cut out the back of Jup and go to the guard road and ride down that way, but my point is that there are options. But then again, I wouldn't ride a bike anyway. I'll take my metal edged fish scales or my skate skiis.

    Mirror lake highway is heaven or hell depending on when you go. I've skied it all the way to the pass and back on perfect corduroy and not seen or heard a snow mobile. Where are the rest of the miles? The state has a web site (or did) that shows where they groom and when. They do it to promote snow mobiles (hate them!). But if you can use them at night or other obscure times, they can be nice.
  • 11-11-2011
    atekt
    Thanks for the info guys, ill check into those shops
  • 11-11-2011
    SprungShoulders
    Last year (Jan - Mar) the Rail Tr. wasn't groomed from the Round Valley connect towards Echo Res. At least not when I tried it. Perhaps I just hit it on the wrong days.

    And since you obviously don't actually ride a fat bike, in the snow or otherwise, I would propose that you don't actually have the slightest idea what conditions are suitable. Or more importantly, not suitable.

    Fat bikes are not skis. They requires a fairly hard pack, or at least a hard base with less than ~4" of powder on top, to be effectively pedaled (at least with 80mm-ish rims running Larry's; the new Moonlander might be a different story in the flotation dept). They also tend to suck trying to balance on a packed ski track. Not to mention that doing so will get you lynched by the perpetually cheery shuffle skiers.

    Skate-packed tracks are too diffuse to be useful, and you're likely to be both lynched AND flayed alive by THAT crowd for riding their groom.

    Fat bikes also don't do ice well.

    And although fat wheels leave little to no trace in the right conditions, people (and by that I mean skiers; hikers and snowshoers are usually fascinated by the machines) around here tend to treat us like we're spewing toxic waste with every pedal stroke, and leaving ground-up puppies in our wake.

    I'm not a fan of powered sleds either, but honestly, I've had far better experiences interacting with that crowd than with skiers. The collective skier attitude (here) has been, in my experience, generally "piss off".

    That said, in speaking with Bob Radke of Basin Rec this morning, there are potentially some trail alternatives that get enough 'shoe traffic to be feasible for fat bike travel. I'll try those once the season gets going.
  • 11-11-2011
    axolotl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SprungShoulders View Post
    Last year (Jan - Mar) the Rail Tr. wasn't groomed from the Round Valley connect towards Echo Res. At least not when I tried it. Perhaps I just hit it on the wrong days.

    And since you obviously don't actually ride a fat bike, in the snow or otherwise, I would propose that you don't actually have the slightest idea what conditions are suitable. Or more importantly, not suitable.

    Fat bikes are not skis. They requires a fairly hard pack, or at least a hard base with less than ~4" of powder on top, to be effectively pedaled (at least with 80mm-ish rims running Larry's; the new Moonlander might be a different story in the flotation dept). They also tend to suck trying to balance on a packed ski track. Not to mention that doing so will get you lynched by the perpetually cheery shuffle skiers.

    Skate-packed tracks are too diffuse to be useful, and you're likely to be both lynched AND flayed alive by THAT crowd for riding their groom.

    Fat bikes also don't do ice well.

    And although fat wheels leave little to no trace in the right conditions, people (and by that I mean skiers; hikers and snowshoers are usually fascinated by the machines) around here tend to treat us like we're spewing toxic waste with every pedal stroke, and leaving ground-up puppies in our wake.

    I'm not a fan of powered sleds either, but honestly, I've had far better experiences interacting with that crowd than with skiers. The collective skier attitude (here) has been, in my experience, generally "piss off".

    That said, in speaking with Bob Radke of Basin Rec this morning, there are potentially some trail alternatives that get enough 'shoe traffic to be feasible for fat bike travel. I'll try those once the season gets going.

    I said I don't ride in the snow. I didn't say I've never ridden in the snow. But think and propose whatever you want.
  • 11-12-2011
    gregclimbs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SprungShoulders View Post
    ...and in pedaling my Pugsley Tues morning from the gate to Elbow Fork ...

    I was wondering who left the larry footprints in front of me....

    I made it to the yurt.

    Got some funny/smile looks from skiers coming down from the top. But they were polite. Then I passed them when I turned around (in their defense, the lady seemed to be new/uncomfortable).

    That said, I asked the gatekeeper on exit (I needed to renew my annual pass) if the "no bikes on ski track" meant then ENTIRE road or just the groomed classic track up and down.

    He had no idea.

    I will keep riding there.

    But would love to explore more places to ride the fat...

    g
  • 11-13-2011
    SprungShoulders
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    I was wondering who left the larry footprints in front of me....

    :thumbsup: That was me.

    I made it to just past Elbow, turned around when I felt I wasn't doing the ragged, self-groomed classic track any favors (contrary to popular skier belief, I'm not out for the sole purpose of tweaking them out), and rode Pipeline down to Church Fork.

    When the forest service booted me last year, they said the ENTIRE road is off-limits. I pointed out that the winter use plan for that canyon states non-motorized travel is allowed, and they said it didn't matter. They can manage use as they see fit. And they see the grooming activities as fit only for skiers, snowshoeing, sledding, fat men in red suits driving reindeer sleighs, and post-holing hikers. Pretty much everything except fat bikes. :madman:

    Hope to bump into you sometime. I'm riding an older-style black Pug, Salsa Enabler fork, dropper post, Larry's on 80mm Fat Sheeba's, and sporting Bar Mitts. There's usually a white Aussie-X dog attached to my rear wheel, or romping in the snow nearby...

    If I find some alternate places to ride a fat this winter, I'll resurrect this thread and post details.

    Cheers.
  • 11-13-2011
    The Boz
    Mad Dog Cycles had a Salsa Mukluk on display last time I was in... The Bonneville Shoreline Trail is a popular winter trail for skinny and fat bikers.
  • 11-16-2011
    Cincokid
    Fat Bikes are not just for snow. They are also great at riding and exploring beaches. Head out to the Great Salt Lake and ride. If you check the fat bike thread you will discover many more uses for a fatty.
  • 11-22-2011
    gregclimbs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SprungShoulders View Post
    If I find some alternate places to ride a fat this winter, I'll resurrect this thread and post details.

    I found this, a comprehensive list of groomed snowmobile trials:

    Snowmobile Maps and Publications | Utah State Parks

    g
  • 11-22-2011
    SprungShoulders
    :thumbsup: