Controlled panic

Family trip to Moab

Need some help with our trip to Moab this year. I've been to Moab on a guys trip before, but this year I'm bringing the wife and kids . My 9 year old boy wants to ride with me witch is no problem he is able to 10-15 miles with me all the time , can anyone recomend a trail or 2 that he would be able to do with me . We will be there in July ( yes I know it will be hot ) and staying at Portal RV park so riding from there is prefered but taking a shuttle is no problem . Thanks for any help here .

alien exchange student

Some suggestions

Hey Kevin, you will have a blast with your son riding in Moab. I'd recommend the following spots:

1) Bar M Loop - now with the Circle O and Bar A and Bar bie options. Bar M is the easiest ride in town. You can ride to it using the pedestrian bridge over the Colorado and the old Moab highway. I would recommend you drive up for your first ride - you don't want to beat your son up on the first ride. If he is having fun, take the Circle O spur - it just loop around on the slickrock and brings you back onto Bar M.

2) Klondike Bluffs - drive out to the 2nd parking area and bring some snacks. My son loved this one (and still does). Make sure you do the hike and take some breaks to check out Dino tracks and views. Also point out the numerous small jumps on the way back - most kids love that stuff.

3) Gemini Bridges - it is basically a smooth jeep road in most spots but the views are still incredible and your son will love the bridges area. The way out is a little sandy but completely rideable with one longish climb that shouldn't be an issue if he can go 10+ miles. You hire a shuttle to the top and can roll back into town using the old Moab Hwy and the pedestrian bridge.

Other considerations: if he does really well on the above, consider going to the Slickrock Practice loop but let him know he'll likely do some walking for the first time. Just play around and help him with some of the technical bits. My son loved playing there. Be careful though - it is easy to get hurt or scared.

The Waterpark is small but kids love it. They normally have an afternoon discount but that may only be while school is still in. The BMX park is also a great time with kids.

Cheers!

Mel

Grizzly
    I second Rider Mel's suggestions. Those 3 rides are easier, and still a lot of fun. They all offer great views as well. In addition to Circle O you could also check out the Rockin' A spur. It's a bit more techy than Circle O, but pretty fun.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

Controlled panic

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys , can't wait to get there .

mtbr member
    May 2005

Another suggestion?

I was in Moab in March with my son. We had been down in Hurricane the previous 3 days riding the awesome trails there and were fairly tired and butt-sore. As a spur of the moment "what the heck" idea I rented a Jeep. Got the low-down and some maps from the clerk and went wheeling (fins&things trail was the most fun of the ones we hit). It turned out to be extremely fun and WOW, the hills a jeep will climb and descend will blow your mind. It was a great way to spend a day off the bikes.

mtbr member
    The bridge is not completed yet, but should be by the time you come out.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I know you said you know it's going to be hot

so I looked at your profile to see if you were from Phoenix or someplace HOT like Moab is in July. If you really really know heat, just ignore what I'm about to say, but if you're from Seattle...well...

No matter what the Weather Channel might say about average highs, it's going to be 105+ everyday, the sun is going to fry you and no matter how much water you drink it won't be enough and you just might not take up what water you do drink (bodies differ on their ability to absorb water).

If you're going into this planning on being on the Moab-elevation trails at 6am and being in the pool by noon, fine. But I have to say (no one else has) you cannot ride out in the heat past noon. You might be able to but a 9 year old? Moab is great, I love it, I go there all the time, but in April and October. July is the last month I would ever choose to go. I did go to Arches in August one time. I was doing the Fiery Furnace tour and the ranger said "boy, are you all lucky you're here this week (it was low 90s and kinda rainy). The past two weeks it's been 110 degrees." Think about it.

There's always the La Sals (high altitude, cooler temps) but if that's what you're gonna have to ride to avoid heat prostration go to Colorado instead and ride all you want, no restrictions. Just tryin' to help
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

should know better.....
    I'm with the last poster.... The heat is ungodly, and a killer.

No exaggeration.

There was a terrible post a few years back, about a young girl, experienced biker with an experienced, loving, biking family, who died from the heat on Porc Rim. Really surprised them, they didn't see it coming until events ran away from them.
    In the end it might even have been hyponatremia that she died from.
    Just be forewarned.
    It can be done, but be careful, especially with a kid.

Here's the post. Read it, as well as the link in the first post.

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/sylvias-last-ride-110341.html#post1006086

Controlled panic

Yea i know its hot

I'm from southern California , yes it gets hot here but not Moab hot , my plan was to do a few short rides early in the morning for a hour or so then hit the water park later or river raft . I'm a very experienced rider and understand riding in the heat, thank you for input and advice .I'll save the epic riding for my fall trip with my buddies .

should know better.....
    Sounds like you know what you are doing.
    Like everyone else has said, get an early start, and everything should be fine.
    The point of my, and probably the other guy's posts is that as experienced riders, we often overlook how taxing it can be on a less experienced, or young rider. Dennis, (Ogre, from that horrific event), was also a very experienced rider, as was his daughter, and was also from California, albeit from Stockton, not quite as hot as SoCal, but still usually has summer temps in the 90's.
    An 80 lb kid riding a 28 lb bike is like us riding a 50-60 lb bike. Any vertical gain is brutal in the heat. (usually accentuated by the fact they we all use clipless, they usually wear vans...so they get no power down other than mashing the pedals, even made worse by the fact they usually have their saddles too low).
    Any way, I'm not bashing on you or your plans, it's an awesome place to share with your family. you'll have a great time. of the rides listed, I like Klondike, for the kids, easy out and back, downhill to get back out, which is a plus, and the dinosaur tracks are awesome.

Controlled panic

Family trip

Thanks again for the advice , this is why I love these forums its great to hear about other Mountain bikers experinces , I do wish I was going to Moab at another time but work dictates I can only take time off in July and my wife and kids really want to go , those of you with young kids know at that age they wanna hang out with Dad and do Dad stuff , so I will be carefull and keep our rides to early mornings around an hour, we will only be in town for 4 days then off to Zion for 3 days . Again thanks for the imput.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sounds like you're going to be cautious enough

About Klondike Bluffs: Rider Mel sez drive to the second parking lot. All I can add to that is just keep driving till the road gets kinda gnarly and there's a 30 yard sandy stretch then a real tall tree on the left (the road kinda turns to the right there). I park there, I think that's way past even the second parking lot. You'll know when you get to it. That eliminates a lot of road riding.

Gemini Bridges: I wouldn't do the ride from the highway up to the Bridges, you're not going to have enough time to get back before the heat. Try this: drive up the road to Island in The Sky (the main left off the highway north from Gemini Bridges parking lot). Take a left when up on top on the Gemini Bridges road (check your map) and drive down to the Bridges. Check out the Bridges (especially Bull Canyon which is a short hike south for a canyon overlook) then take out your bikes and ride around the roads near the Bridges. On your way down to the Bridges from the highway you'll have passed a right turn (south) that said either Three Arch or Four Arch Canyon. If you have 4 wheel drive (it's just sandy in spots) you can get in a ways then ride up the Canyon. Some pretty cool rocks back there.

Here's the view down into Bull Canyon. You can also ride your bikes up into this canyon and check out the Bridges from the bottom but that's a pretty lengthy ride.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Ride in the early morning, break....swim.... rent a jeep with A/C and go es-plorin'. You will have a great time.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member
    I was there for Sylvia's Memorial Ride the following year.

Sylvia's Memorial Ride/Cross

It was heartbreaking.

Please be exceedingly cautious. The first time my son did Porcupine he was ten, he also helped me hike the cross up and set it alongside the trail (he was 12 that year)...but we always go in late April or early May and the temps normally hover in the mid 70's. Even then it's a long day on a trail for a youngster.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."