mtbr member

family friendly classic Moab singletrack?

I've been researching quite a bit (including the sticky here) but value all of your suggestions.

1. I'm bringing the kiddos to Moab for our first time. We're looking for beginner/intermediate singletrack... what do you suggest as must-do's? Definitely not "scenic roads"... only nice singletrack and slickrock. Rough and a bit technical is OK, cliffs or high exposure isn't.

2. And is it crazy to try to find first-come-first-served BLM campground sites the end of April or are they available if we don't mind driving out of town a bit?

3. Is theft much of a problem? We will be bringing a small u-haul trailer for our bikes and gear and will of course lock it but I'm always nervous leaving something like that at the trailhead.

4. Can I really get out of a speeding ticket by leaving a Book of Mormon on the dash? (that's a joke)

Thanks folks, look forward to visiting.
    Last edited by Sigmatero; 04-08-2013 at 02:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page ...Agate and Jasper loops....easier sections of the MOAB brand trails...some of the trails in the Klondike Bluffs area, Baby Steps, EKG, Dinoflow is easy but can have sections of sand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Intrepid trail system at Dead Horse Point is perfect for beginners. You can camp right there in the State Park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    The Intrepid trail system at Dead Horse Point is perfect for beginners. You can camp right there in the State Park.
    I'll second Dead Horse...very nice ride for the kids and some pretty cool scenery for us tourists to take in,. also

Paste eater
    Intrepid is good but the new Klonzo system is just as good if not better for the novice crowd. Dead Horse is awesome, but it's a good 40minutes from town FWIW and also a little cooler. The Klonzo trail head is on Willow Springs - a dirt rd off of 191 North of town. There is very primitive camping out that way. Just don't camp in the wash. While sandy and soft it makes for a rather wet experience should it rain. Seems obvious, but I say a campite flooded there recently.

I'd stay away from Klondike personally. While much of it is 'Moab intermediate' it's tough to string a loop together for novice and or intermediate riders unless you incorporate the jasper/agate loops which are rather boring IMO. Dino flow has set up nicely

Camping will be a Zoo that time of year so you very well end up 40 minutes out 128 anyhow. If you can get into town early, you may be able to grab a spot that turns over up at sandflats.