mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Experienced rider with a newb in Moab

Hope nobody minds I'm double posting this. Here for local opinions and on the general board for general opinions.

I'm an experienced rider (Moab and other places) and I'm taking my 17 yo nephew to Moab for spring break! I'm experienced enough that I tend to forget how hard it can be for beginners. I don't want to spend a week riding the Brand trails or even Gemini Bridges type rides (not all the time anyways, maybe a few rides). I have pretty ambitious plans to ride a lot and ride hard. But in the back of my head I'm wondering if he is ready for Porcupine (hopefully most of Enchilada?) Amasa Back and Slickrock and Moab Rim, Gold Bar and Flat Pass.

He is in decent shape (can probably kick my butt on a road bike) just doesn't have much riding experience. The few times we have been out on trails around Bend, Oregon he has done well but Moab is a whole other technical level. I'm OK with him being slower then me just don't want him to end up dead or injured (that would really piss my sister off!) I also think he will be game to try it all but may not be smart enough to realize he is in over his head.

So for you veteran riders who have rode Moab with less experienced riders what do you think? Throw him out there and see what carnage ensues or leave him in camp chained to a picnic table?

Thanks for the thoughts

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thoughts

I think if he is not used to mountain biking multiple times per week, and on consequitve (SP) days its probably not a good idea to take on long hard rides daily for a week. At his age and at this stage of his development as a rider fun is everything. Let him enjoy riding and exploring the area, and put the ride every trail possible agenda at home. Get out early and hammer out some 2.5 hour rides solo and then ride with him later in the day. If he is not enjoying himself on the bike bag it and do some river rafting, or hiking or let him take the car and explore on his own.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I had those thoughts as well. The week will be more then MTB. There will be hiking and drives in Arches and Canyonlands. Maybe a road trip to Mesa Verde just cuz I love it there too. Maybe spend a night in The Maze cause I've only been there once and would like to see it again

I had the same thoughts about hammering an early ride and then doing a more leisurely one with him later. Teenagers don't seem to like to get up early

mtbr member
    Yep. Pedalfaraway nailed it.

I've been to Moab with my son when he was 16 (this was a moto and mtb trip) and then again when he was 21. He had decent technical skills but not much endurance because he hadn't been riding much. I did as many rides with him as he wanted to do including Porcupine Rim and Tusher Canyon(He did fine). Then he either slept in or hung around the park checking out the cars at the car show while I was out on other rides.

We also drove the La Sal Loop road and checked out the climbers on Wall Street one day.

Flaccid Member
    If it's during jeep week, even better, get him on a ride in a jeep on some of the stuff around there for a different experience.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB