mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Escalante Area Trails?

Will be camping at Escalante Petrified Forest State Park with family/friends in a week. Just wondering if there were any trails worth riding close to the State Park or the town of Escalante. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am having a family reunion up there this summer too. I would love to know of some good trails. Thunder Mountain is probably the "big" trail up in that area but I'm guessing it's a little over an hour away.

Any thing closer to town?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Boulder Mtn. north & Powell Point south would be worth checking into
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    The Gap is nearby but requires a long shuttle. You ride from The Gap and Clayton Spring on FR140. 5 miles or so of singletrack amongst alpine lakes before dropping 4000' + down a 2-track some 20 miles back to hwy12 a few miles west of Escalante.

There's 8 miles of out and back trail to Powell Pt which at 10,188' is one big eye in the sky. Otherwise, as previously suggested head to Red Canyon and ride Thunder Mountain, Lossee, and Cassidy trails. Plenty to keep one busy all day long and well worth the extra driving time. The hiking around there doesn't suck either.