mtbr member

enchilada in May?

I did a search for this question didnt find a quick answer so I will ask.

Is May 8th to soon to plan a trip to moab and expect to do the whole enchilada?
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The La Sal weather station at 6700 ft shows typical highs of 65-75 degrees in May and just above freezing at night, so the trails will almost certainly be clear there, no? But how high up can you go past that? I think it's a matter of when you hit snow, not if..

I highly doubt you will be able to get very far into the mountains, especially if this winter continues to be a snow-fest.

You can also Google Warner Lake and see if you can find some solid info for the higher altitudes.

JMH

frejwilk
    I'm thinking the LaSal weather station might be for the town of LaSal. If so, it wouldn't be very applicable for this ride. Try this for an idea of what's going on in the LaSal mountains weather wise.

By 'Whole Enchilada', I'm assuming you mean Burro Pass, Hazard County, and Kokopelli trails leading you toward Porcupine Rim. You will not be able to ride Burro Pass in early May. You'd probably either not find good conditions on Hazard, or would have trouble accessing the trailhead. The Kokopelli trail below the LaSal loop road is usually very, very messy that time of year.

So the answer is, you probably won't be able to ride the 'Whole Enchilada' at that time. You may be able to ride some sections of it (and certainly the lower, Porcupine sections), but I wouldn't count on anything. Outside of that particular ride though, early May is a great time to plan a trip to Moab. If you wait until Burro Pass is open, it may be hotter than you would like on most other Moab rides. Fall would be the time for both.

Good Luck,

FW

aka greyranger

the whole

Went up to the La Sal's in early May, messy messy messy. Did the two sections of Porc rim in early May, no problems. Enjoy the trip we are returning again this year with some Moab virgins second to third week in May.