mtbr member

Dumb question about trail drying times around SLC/PC

So I'm usually still in snowboard mode at this time of year, but with this year's non-winter I've got the bike bug way ahead of schedule. Curious about how long it usually takes for the lower elevation stuff that's been open (corner canyon, round valley, etc) to dry out after a thorough soaking like we've had the past couple days.

I do know about the trail reports from Basin Rec and cornercanyontrails.com, but they often go several days or longer without an update.

What's the usual time window before most stuff is rideable? Any preferred routes that tend to recover from rainstorms the fastest? Just don't want to get geared up and drive 30 min to a trailhead tomorrow if I'm gonna end up going straight back home because everything is still muddy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics View Post
    So I'm usually still in snowboard mode at this time of year, but with this year's non-winter I've got the bike bug way ahead of schedule. Curious about how long it usually takes for the lower elevation stuff that's been open (corner canyon, round valley, etc) to dry out after a thorough soaking like we've had the past couple days.

I do know about the trail reports from Basin Rec and cornercanyontrails.com, but they often go several days or longer without an update.

What's the usual time window before most stuff is rideable? Any preferred routes that tend to recover from rainstorms the fastest? Just don't want to get geared up and drive 30 min to a trailhead tomorrow if I'm gonna end up going straight back home because everything is still muddy.
    Areas of Corner Canyon are *usually* rideable in almost any condition (the sandy stuff like Rattler / BST, etc).

The Quarry Trail in Little Cottonwood can handle just about any amount of rain, and its rideable more often than not. I ride this a lot and do it in the rain at times.

The BST loop from Hogle Zoo can dry out quick, but of course Dry Creek will take longer.

I recently realized a trick in Strava that somewhat helps me out with this question: choose Segment Explore, find the segment / loop you're looking for, hit View Details. You can then choose Today / This week to see if anyone has rode it recently. Yeah that doesn't really tell you if its muddy, but it helps for sure. If a ton of people rode it yesterday, you can assume its good to go.

It will be in the 70s and sunny down here starting tomorrow - stuff will dry out quick.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the intel. I'm not a Strava guy but good to know about the Quarry trail and sandy trails in CC.

mtbr member
    I live in PC and was going to go riding today, but didn't get around to it. I'd expect the entire Flying Dog loop to be rideable by tomorrow (Tuesday) for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Dumb question about trail drying times around SLC/PC

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I live in PC and was going to go riding today, but didn't get around to it. I'd expect the entire Flying Dog loop to be rideable by tomorrow (Tuesday) for sure.
    Especially with the wind we have today.

Before all the recent rain, Armstrong to Mid Mountain was good to go already (and Spiro down) as of last week.

mtbr member
    Saw a Facebook post from MTF that Round Valley is mostly good to go as of this afternoon. Old lady just got home from work and we're about to head up for a quick loop.

I have no idea who mods the Utah board but it might be worthwhile to have an ongoing stickied thread where people can discuss the latest trail conditions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Especially with the wind we have today.
    Yeah, I think that will definitely help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics View Post
    I have no idea who mods the Utah board but it might be worthwhile to have an ongoing stickied thread where people can discuss the latest trail conditions?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Lq0/edit#gid=0

This is imperfect, as it sometimes is not up to date, but it'll give you some info. Rob's/Collins should also be good for the first 45 minutes of climbing...maybe a bit more.

mtbr member
    Just rode Robs/Collins. It's dry to just past the intersection with Hunter trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I rode Armstrong to Mid Mountain today - mint condition with the exception of a couple downed trees. We ventured north on mid mountain from there and went just-passed the Ironman intersection. All good that way too, and I think we could have gone quite a bit further.

Back-tracked and hit Spiro down. Clear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I rode Armstrong to Mid Mountain today - mint condition with the exception of a couple downed trees. We ventured north on mid mountain from there and went just-passed the Ironman intersection. All good that way too, and I think we could have gone quite a bit further.

Back-tracked and hit Spiro down. Clear.
    Good to know about Armstrong/MM/Spiro. Always a good ride. Looks like more rain forecasted for this weekend but maybe it won't be quite so torrential as it was last week.