Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    oootard

Draper DH trail build day

Draper city officials will be walking the proposed trail tomorrow morning to confirm/verify the route down the canyon. We should know by tomorrow afternoon whether Saturday is a go for building the trail. At this point, we are fairly confident that the trail route will be approved and that digging will commence this Saturday.

We are planning on meeting Saturday morning to travel to the trail head. I hope this is sufficient notice for those interested in helping out. We are hoping to get a large contingent to get significant work done on the trail this Saturday in an effort to shock the Draper trail guys with the support and passion mountain bikers have for trails.

We are excited about this trail and the potential it holds. The layout as planned has great flow with ample locations for jumps, drops, chutes, and fast flowy sections. Check the WAFTA site at www.waftautah.com for more details.

I will post more beta as soon as I know it is confirmed.

Cheers!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Okay.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Wooohooo!!!! It's On!!!

mtbr member
    Wow, it's really going to happen, huh? I'm extremely sorry, I'll be away from Friday on and can't make it. I guess i'll have to send everyone warm, positive vibes and work twice as hard on the next dig day.

oootard

Draper trail is fully approved and ready to be dug out.

Schedule for this weekend for those who can help out:

Friday, 5/2/08

We will be meeting at 2pm to rough out the trail with chainsaws and rakes. We plan to be finished by 5pm to not infringe on any evening plans.

Saturday, 5/3/08

We will be meeting at 830 am at the trailhead at the top of Suncrest. I plan on being up there most of the day. Steve is preparing a map for directions to the trailhead that will be posted when complete. Saturday will consist of digging berms, jumps, etc.

If you have tools to bring, please do so. Otherwise, we have plenty of pulaskis and mcleods on loan from Draper city for use. For anyone in the Wasatch stoked on legal DH trails, please come out and earn your turns. This trail should be challenging and flowy, with ride arounds for anyone who isnt feeling up to a particular stunt.

We will hold regular dig nights during the week, in addition to the weekend days, until the trail is complete. The elevation drop is around 1200, with approximately 2 to 2.5 miles of DH only trail. When this trail is complete, we will begin construction on a second DH only trail in the canyon.
    Last edited by drboudreaux; 04-30-2008 at 11:08 AM.

mtbr member

Directions to Draper DH Trailwork

Hey everybody,

Don't let this little bit of white stuff the weather gave us discourage you from coming out to dig! We're planning on a Friday Afternoon and Saturday Morning work session to crank out some of the new Draper Downhill trail. Spread the word to all the non-WAFTA members as well, let's make this a massive effort and show the city officials we're serious!

Friday, 5/2: Meet at the trailhead at 2pm, work until 5-ish.
    Saturday, 5/3: Meet at the trailhead at 8:30am, work until 12:30-ish.

I've attached maps, one for the southbound from SLC folks, one for the northbound from Provo folks.

Bring: Gloves, sunscreen (hopefully it will be sunny!), bug/tick spray, dress appropriately (boots, pants, etc). If you have shovels, rakes, pulaski's, mcleods, etc - bring them, but if not we'll have some that Draper City is supplying on hand. If you'd like to bring some food/drink for lunch on Saturday, we can hang out there for a bit afterwards as well.

Looking forward to seeing you out there!

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    See you guys there on saturday.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I will be there on Saturday and will bring some fun Gravity swag for bribes/prizes.

JMH

Fartographer

Hmmmmm

Interesting.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    You should come out and document the progress John.

Fartographer

Yes I Should

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    You should come out and document the progress John.
    I agree. How many people will be there? And more importantly, who's bringing the donuts?

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Sounds like you just nominated yourself! Hey everyone - John's bringing donuts! I'm bringing beer...

There should be quite a few people there tomorrow, based on the email traffic today.

Fartographer

Give Me A Number

Sounds like you just nominated yourself! Hey everyone - John's bringing donuts! I'm bringing beer...

There should be quite a few people there tomorrow, based on the email traffic today.
    Can you make a guess? I don't know what a lot is - 10, 50, 200?

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Maybe 10-20?

Fartographer

Cool

Maybe 10-20?
    I'll be there. Donuts will be on Mtbr

Homer's problem child
    I'm going to try to make it. If so should I bring my bike or just shovels, rakes and beer?

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    I'm going to try to make it. If so should I bring my bike or just shovels, rakes and beer?

B
    No need for bikes on this one. The trail is not ready to be ridden. Bring tools and of course, beer is always welcome

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    So WAFTA's first big trail day at Draper was a big success... Thanks to the folks who walked through on Friday and cut out Oak. And thanks A LOT to the 25 or so folks that made it out today. Photo John arrived with the aforementioned Donuts and we fired out some trail. We got a great deal of trail roughed in between 8.30 and 12.30, then we packed it in for lunch. Steve provided Brats and a BBQ and we gave away some good Gravity Swag.

A few more weekends like this one (with similar turnout) and we will be riding this trail in a month. For real. DH only, fun lines, high speed, lots of great features. So check your calendars and head on out. My understanding is that (please correct me if I am wrong?) until the trail is done there will be crews working regular dates:

Wednesday Evenings @ 5.30
    Saturday Mornings @ 8.30

Visit WAFTA at www.waftautah.com to join and for more information.

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Homer's problem child
    All I got to say about today is:

And I won a Gravity 50mm 1.5 31.8 stem!

Thanks WAFTA! I plan on being much more involved with WAFTA trail building days from here on out. This trail will be lots of fun.

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 05-03-2008 at 05:08 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Today was HUGE! A big thanks, again, to everyone who turned out. I can't believe how much trail we cut today. Even got started on some sweet stunts and a few huge berms. This trail has the potential to be the best DH line within a few hours drive. If we can keep up the attendance on the build days, we'll be done and riding in no time.

Please keep an eye on www.waftautah.com for updates

Fartographer

Trailbuilding Photos

I did go, and I did bring donuts. They were much more popular after we finished and hiked back up to the cars. It was a long hike. I ate four

This was my first ever trailbuilding. It feels good to have finally contributed more than compliments. This trail is going to be awesome when it's done. I am psyched to be near it and be a part of its construction. It's so cool that it's totally legit and sanctioned by the city. This is an example for riders in other communities, and for other cities with mountain bikers, of how things should be done. Give us somewhere to ride so we won't be tempted to build and ride illegally. Not that I've ever done that.

On to the photos.

The first photo is of Steve giving the volunteers a little instruction on how to safely use the trailbuilding tools. More and more people showed as the morning went on. So that first photo is only about half of the actual number of people that showed. It was awesome how many people were willing to come and help.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 05-04-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Fartographer

Trailbuilding Afterparty

We called it quits at about noon. I don't know about everyone else, but I was ready. I am sore in places I'm not usually aware of. And I have one broken blister. Not bad, really. And it's all well-earned pain.

Steve brought snausages, Zak brought beers, and JMH brought some loot for a raffle. It was a great way to wrap things up.

I'm UTarded
    Looks like I need to jump in on the action... Especially with my office being just down the road and all. How do you get to the trailhead location? Where will the trail end up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powderboy
    Looks like I need to jump in on the action... Especially with my office being just down the road and all. How do you get to the trailhead location? Where will the trail end up?
    This link should have the maps to the trailhead: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...99326#poststop

As for the trailbuilding day, I can't say thanks enough to all of you who got out there and paid back a bit of time, sweat, and it sounds like maybe some blood (or other nastiness from blisters?) to help build trails. It goes to show the local land managers that we're organized, we're motivated, and we're willing to do things the right way. Amazing!

We'll be meeting there this Wednesday (May 7th) for an evening work party. I'll post some more details but I think we'll have a few out there starting around 4pm and we'll work until dusk. Show up when you can to help.

We'll be riding this trail very soon!

I'm UTarded
    Cool... now, where does the runout take you? Does it end up hitting Traverse Road just East of Vintage View Ln. before you get to Mike Weir Drive? If so, I go trail running up that rough singletrack that goes up the canyon to the ridgeline. Cool!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast