mtbr member
    May 2011

Downhill Race and Sportsmanship

I was racing this weekend and came across a situation I have never experienced racing. I've been on the other end of it and either just passed the rider whenever I could or got stuck behind them and got a crappy time. That I chalked up to racing - it happens. You get stuck behind people. Onto my experience...

For numerous reasons I was running quite slow that day and was caught by the rider behind me in the last couple turns. My entire family was out cheering me across the finish line, only to be greeted by the rider behind me yelling "get the f***k out of my way" what the f***k" "are you f***king kidding me" at the top of his lungs. I wasn't sure what was happening behind me, I heard yelling but didn't know where it came from. There was a big open section he could have passed, but on the video I he is about 20 feet behind me coasting.

A couple minutes later this particular rider went up to someone he though was me and started yelling at them "get the f***k out of my way next time" so this poor guy had no idea why someone was yelling at him.

Anyway, is this normal behavior at a race when you can't pass someone? If it was just me, then I don't care too much. But he kind of ruined the entire experience for my family that was there to watch. As I have heard from them a few times after the fact.
    Last edited by erok81; 05-29-2012 at 11:20 AM.

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Best way to handle that is to stop suddenly forcing the other rider to wreck and then proceed to kick in his teeth while he is on the ground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just blow it off. There's a few bad apples like that at every race. Funny thing is the guys who are the biggest jerks like that are usually the ones who also will never let anyone pass them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by radnasty View Post
    Best way to handle that is to stop suddenly forcing the other rider to wreck and then proceed to kick in his teeth while he is on the ground.
    best reponse ever. And would have made for a good laugh (minus the kicking in of the teeth portion)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    tell the dude to f_off. simple as that. then wait for karma to screw him over. works every time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    tell the dude to f_off. simple as that. then wait for karma to screw him over. works every time.
    Karma....exactly. Don't sweat it too much, things will come his way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Truth is, when someone is behind you in a race run and has made up the gap, you need to pull over.

That said, no need to act like a ******bag and get in somebody's face over it. Over a local Utah race? Although, his Redbull Athlete sponsorship and million dollar contract was probably in the bag until you got in the way ;-)

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave View Post
    Truth is, when someone is behind you in a race run and has made up the gap, you need to pull over
    From the description, as well as being familiar with the course, sounds to me like the opportunity to pass was there and the closing rider chose to be a dick instead of actually racing. It's always easier to place blame than sack up and put some effort in.

It's also difficult to hear a rider behind you in a DH race situation. Unless you happen to catch a glimpse of someone coming up on you, a person could be yelling their head off and you very honestly might not hear a thing.

Fault goes to the foul-mouthed asshat IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pretty simple:

-The guy shouldn't have been such a d*ck.
    -You should have pulled off track as soon as you knew someone was behind you. You've been caught, your race is over.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Agreed, if I knew he was behind me, I would have moved. Problem was it the near the end with a crowd cheering. So I heard yelling, from multiple sources. I only found out about it after my sister told me at the bottom.

Thanks for all of the posts everyone. I'm over it now. It's the first time it's happened to me at a race. Plus I got a hold of the guy and he was pretty cool about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Pretty simple:

-You should have pulled off track as soon as you knew someone was behind you. You've been caught, your race is over.
    I just dont agree with this. The race isnt over until you cross the line, why should the riders time suffer because someone catches up to him / her?
    Just like any other race in the world the person needs to learn to pass the one in front.
    I know theres some courtesy in certain types of racing, but usually only in very slow cases and if that other person / team is fighting for a top spot

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    ^^Because if said racer gets caught, he is a minute down in this case to the person doing the catching. Minute down=not competitive. GTF outta the way.

The dudes behavior sounded super uncool btw. Glad you guys were able to talk it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It depends on the situation, if the guy is just a sandbagger and you weren't actually having that bad of a run screw him, he should cat up if he doesn't want to catch people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There are a ton of what ifs in this type of situation, and of course each person has the right to their own opinion, I am sure each person feels they are doing the right thing as well.

Like Erok81 mentioned, he wasn't totally clear as to what was going on behind him, while you are racing or riding in general for that matter, what is in front of you and clear is generally what takes precedence.

I Know when I am riding with friends and I am following, for us to communicate I have to yell pretty loud or wait for a switch back to get a word in or have the person I am following hear me and vise versa. In groups I have found I usually have to say things twice and very loud to be heard, this is while just riding and flowing down a hill, not an intense focused situation where things can often be blocked out.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erok81 View Post

Anyway, is this normal behavior at a race when you can't pass someone?
    No, the guy was a dick.

But asking if this is normal behavior is just being passive aggressive. Just tell us the story. We'll sympathize with you. No need to play the ignorant/innocent card.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by price1869 View Post
    No, the guy was a dick.

But asking if this is normal behavior is just being passive aggressive. Just tell us the story. We'll sympathize with you. No need to play the ignorant/innocent card.
    Huh? How is it being passive aggressive? I was wondering if it is a normal occurrence at a race. I'm not asking for sympathy. If it happens all the time, so be it. I was going to the report the guy, but if happens all the time (which I wouldn't know, hence the thread) then it would be pointless to report him.

I've entered three DH races so far, I am ignorant. Especially the fact that it was my first race as a cat 2. Maybe there is more competition at that level. Who knows.

Not to mention I called the guy up and talked to him about the whole thing. That's the complete opposite of passive aggressive.

mtbr member
    I saw this happen, the guy was coming up quick after the jump. That being said, I think he just got caught up in the heat of the moment. Even though it is a local race, everyone still wants to do their best. Just curious what CAT were you in?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was in cat 2

mtbr member
    No need to scream profanities like that at the end of the race where the crowd is standing and most likely children are present. The guy needs to learn some respect, common courtesy, anger management, etc. I have been stuck behind people in bike racing and car racing, it's just part of the game and you deal with it.