Let's ride SuperModerator

New question here. Dogs allowed on trails? Moab or other areas

Looking to do a Moab, Bryce, and or Canyonlands, Arches trip. Even outside of the parks if needed.

I know most of these are NP, and dogs are not 'allowed' in back country. Would really like to take the dog along on some of the rides. The dog has her own pack for water and food and loves to go backpacking with us.

Can folks share any wisdom on taking dogs on rides and or good places to leave them behind if absolutely needed.

Any dog friendly hotels as well?

Any tips and or sites would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I would be careful in Moab with your dog....

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Looking to do a Moab, Bryce, and or Canyonlands, Arches trip. Even outside of the parks if needed.

I know most of these are NP, and dogs are not 'allowed' in back country. Would really like to take the dog along on some of the rides. The dog has her own pack for water and food and loves to go backpacking with us.

Can folks share any wisdom on taking dogs on rides and or good places to leave them behind if absolutely needed.

Any dog friendly hotels as well?

Any tips and or sites would be greatly appreciated.
    For a lot of reasons! It is so dry you could dehydrate Fido quickly. The rocks could rip his feet up. Also, he could fall off a cliff.

My thoughts,

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    all the good riding in moab is outside of the national parks.in fact, that is generally too across the country, because singletrack is off-limits in national parks. if you take your dog riding in moab, he had better be well-behaved, because there are LOTS of cyclists there and most cyclists have had some bad experiences with dogs, and are happy to kick a playful dog in the teeth rather than take a chance that he's not so playful. most of the trails in moab are also open to jeeps and motorcycles, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about a dog, but be careful of dehydration, and especially sharp plants and sharp rocks.

Thanks for the replies.
    Any other folks with feedback. I understand the points given above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Klondike Bluff

I saw a dog running with his owner on Klondike bluffs last year was really early in the year and not a lot of people. The dog was about 1/8 mile behind the owner but was running as fast as it could and looked to be having a great time. Note Klondike's last 1/2 mile is in the park the dog would have to stay out of the park. If you dog is well behaved and knows to stay out of others way you should have a good time. Good luck with whatever you decide.

banned

don't do it

don't take your dog to moab ... the rock and hard ground, no cover, speeds of biking just chew a dog up in short order .. they CANNOT hang .... cut paws, severe overheating, utah redrock is really hard on a dog ... your dog has to be the Lance Armstrong of dogs to even hang a little bit .. ANY heavy bodied dog, labs, lab mixes, are toast .... any dark coated dog, is toast. A dog that doesn't have ultra hardened paws, is toast ... it almost certainly won't work out ... there is no damn shade for mile after grinding mile ... Ok for humans with clothes and ability to sweat .... miserable for dogs ...

Occidental Tourist

No dogs in Arches

I was just there and it is a big No No. I'd guess the rest of the monuments would be the same but couldn't say for sure
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Perhaps I'm not being clear enough.

I only wish to ride with my dog on the trail for a few miles; just so both of us can be on the trail together. I don't plan to take her on epic rides.
    We plan to go the week of 4/11/04, hopefully not too hot yet.
    The dog normally runs 6mi on the street with us just fine, no impact on her pads. I watch that pretty carefully.
    The rest of the time, she'll be in the cabin or on the porch. It is not a bad life.

Back to topic at hand... Any other trails with dog spottings, or maybe a good place in town to ask?

banned

dogcrap

Thanks for the replies.
    Any other folks with feedback. I understand the points given above.
    Your dogs are welcome, but their crap isn't. Also, if your dog gets t-boned by a cyclist because you can't control it, don't blame the cyclist.

I throw poop
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Your dogs are welcome, but their crap isn't. Also, if your dog gets t-boned by a cyclist because you can't control it, don't blame the cyclist.

Amen.. As far as I'm concerned keep the dogs at home..

This space not for sale.
    Mar 2004

dogs are your friends too

I have taken my dog to Moab lots of times- granted he is now 9 and not in nearly the shep needed to do a 20 mile, he didn't have too much trouble there. Yes it is hot, yes it is rocky, prickly, yes there are lots of people there doing all sorts of things but if you normally take your dog biking at home and you don't have any problems then you should be fine in Moab.
    Go fast, take chances!

This space not for sale.
    Mar 2004

dogs are your friends too

I have taken my dog to Moab lots of times- granted he is now 9 and not in nearly the shape needed to do a 20 mile, he didn't have too much trouble there. Yes it is hot, yes it is rocky, prickly, yes there are lots of people there doing all sorts of things but if you normally take your dog biking at home and you don't have any problems then you should be fine in Moab.
    Go fast, take chances!

mtbr member

dogs are fine

it is a shame that most people here are so anti-dogs-in-moab. yes you could hurt/kill your dog easily, but a little bit of common sense will go a long way. no, slickrock and porc rim would not be ideal. yes he/she could overheat, but if you're careful and only go for a short period, I think it would be a great time. I took my Siberian Husky riding in mid-Feb (it was cold with some snow). we rode the sovereign trail and it was great. i'd recomment that trail b/c the trail surface isn't entirely rock, and there's some dirt too. But it is a new trail and is probably crowded now that spring is here. any mellow trail will be great.