Thread: Dogs

ccm
    West Coast Racing
    Jan 2004

Dogs

See lots of photos linked to this forum of dogs on trails in Hurricane/St George area

Plan to be down there mid March with out two dogs (Shepard/Greyhound crosses). They fly on North Shore trails and are very good trail dogs for that type of terrain, but they have never been to the desert before. I expect to remove some cactus at least once, any first aid advice? Any trails, besides inside National Parks, where dogs are not allowed off-leash? We will be packing extra water and monitoring paws (they run on granite and ice already, so don't expect sandstone will be any worse), but any other advice?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Cactus will not be the main problem for your dogs. The main issue is the running on the slick rock at their paws.

I have a couple of dogs that we take riding and on long runs without doggy shoes they get flappers on their paws pads. For short stints or trails with a lot of dirt they are ok, but extended slick rock (like Goose) is brutal on dog paw pads.

I used doggy shoes like these.
    Dogs-img_2020-1.jpg

NMBP
    I do Little Creek and Guac all the time with my dogs. I've never had a torn up or abraded pad on them. I never go more than 15 miles, and I don't let them spend too much time playing in the water, it tends to soften the pads IMHO.

Always make sure they have enough water. I have more trouble with cacti when hiking than I do when biking. The slower spped means the dogs are screwing around off the trail more.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Guacamole is awesome for dogs. Gooseberry and Little Creek, not so much.

Prospector/Chuchrocks is a pretty dog friendly trail as well.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

ccm
    West Coast Racing
    Jan 2004
    thanks, we are eager to go

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    Guacamole is awesome for dogs. Gooseberry and Little Creek, not so much.

Prospector/Chuchrocks is a pretty dog friendly trail as well.
    Try telling my dogs that Little Creek isn't a good dog trail. One of the good things about it is abundant water, most of the year.

Prospector/Church Rocks is great trail. I've done it numerous times with one dog. However it gets a lot of horse traffic, and Red Cliffs is a dogs on leash only area.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    Try telling my dogs that Little Creek isn't a good dog trail. One of the good things about it is abundant water, most of the year.

Prospector/Church Rocks is great trail. I've done it numerous times with one dog. However it gets a lot of horse traffic, and Red Cliffs is a dogs on leash only area.
    I agree LC is fun for a dog that has built up pads that are tough enough to handle the slickrock. There are a lot of ways for a dog to get hurt out on Little Creek, I'd be hesitant to recommend it without knowing the dog.

IIRC, Dogs are supposed to be on leashes on all trails according to the BLM regs are they not? Personally it makes no difference to me, I'm a dog guy.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    I agree LC is fun for a dog that has built up pads that are tough enough to handle the slickrock. There are a lot of ways for a dog to get hurt out on Little Creek, I'd be hesitant to recommend it without knowing the dog.

IIRC, Dogs are supposed to be on leashes on all trails according to the BLM regs are they not? Personally it makes no difference to me, I'm a dog guy.

On BLM land dogs are required to be under control, no mention of leashes. Red Cliffs states that dogs must be leashed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    On BLM land dogs are required to be under control, no mention of leashes.
    There is no possible ambiguity in those regs is there?
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts