Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Directions to camping at JEM trail?

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Scott forty G. 
#1 ·
I'm driving to the St. George/Hurricane area tomorrow. I won't be arriving until midnight or later, so I am looking for a very easy to find campsite that my compact sedan can handle. Are the directions below accurate?

I searched some other threads and apparently I can camp near the lower JEM trailhead? y Any other easy to get to camping in the area?

"At the junction of US-9 with UT-17, turn east towards Zion. 4.8 miles after the turnoff, turn right (south) on a gravel road signed "Sheep Bridge Rd." 0.5 miles later, you'll cross over the Virgin River. Just uphill is a cattleguard, then a doubletrack on your right 0.1 miles after the bridge.": (from utahmountainbiking.com)

#2 ·
That information is incorrect. Those are accurate directions but camping is not legal at that trailhead. An explanation is below.

The lower JEM trailhead rests entirely on private land and access to it and its use come as a courtesy afforded by the property owner. This is within the Virgin Town limits and camping is prohibited. Renegade camping has become a bit of an issue with human waste, noise and garbage and nearby residents have brought it up at the recents town council meetings.

Please consider alternative places to camp. I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but rather preserve our trail access for everyone.

The top trailhead of the JEM is on BLM land and can be accessed from SR 59 which leaves Hurricane off of State Route 9. It's isolated and nice and quiet as well.

#3 ·
Just thought of this.... coming up the hill from Hurricane on State Route 9 (on teh way to Lower JEM trailhead on Sheepsbridge Road... there is the LaVerkin over look road on drivers right... it's a couple of miles long with several little spots off to the side that are excellent for a camp spot, Go about 1/2 mile, it will get you away from the noise of State Route 9. This is BLM land and no one cares if you pitch a tent for the night.

Enjoy your riding!

#7 ·
rippling over canyons said:
I think you can. I ended up camping the first night at STT's suggested La Verkin overlook. It's open sage brush with no shade, but very convenient access.
If you want shade you need to bring your own. Did you have a good time?

#9 ·
Scott forty G. said:
Thanks Rodman! Our plan slightly changed so it turns out that we will be camping straight to the Goose.

Im curious what trails you did out there.
I had a really good time. I rode Zen, Grafton, Gooseberry, Little Creek Mesa, and Broken Mesa. I rode Gooseberry with a bunch of people who met at Over the Edge. I got a little lost out at Little Creek, even with some directions provided by Quentin at Over the Edge. PM me for more info or pictures. The road up Gooseberry is a little chunky and rutted.

STT, thanks again for the camping suggestion. La Verkin overlook was very easy to find at night and was much nicer than trying to navigate up Gooseberry at night in a low clearance compact sedan.

#10 ·
Rodney,

Email sent!

rippling over canyons said:
I had a really good time. I rode Zen, Grafton, Gooseberry, Little Creek Mesa, and Broken Mesa. I rode Gooseberry with a bunch of people who met at Over the Edge. I got a little lost out at Little Creek, even with some directions provided by Quentin at Over the Edge. PM me for more info or pictures. The road up Gooseberry is a little chunky and rutted.

STT, thanks again for the camping suggestion. La Verkin overlook was very easy to find at night and was much nicer than trying to navigate up Gooseberry at night in a low clearance compact sedan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.