Thread: DH bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

DH bike

I'm looking to do some more DH/freeride oriented riding this season (with shuttles). But, I currently only own an XC bike, so I'm looking to pick up something with a bit more travel.

I don't want to drop 4-5k on a new DH rig, and preferably I'd spend under 2k. I've been looking on various classified for used bikes a little, but I'm hesitant about buying a DH bike from someone I don't know because of the beating the frames and suspension take.

Are there are resorts around the SLC/Park City area that sell last season's rental bikes? In particular, I'm looking for a dual-crown rig, probably with a single front chainring. I'm sure there are some shops in Moab the have rentals for sale, but I don't really want to drive all the way down there.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Honestly I think you are better off getting a used bike from an individual rather than a resort. I may be wrong, but here are my reasons:

People treat rental bikes like they treat rental cars. They can't exactly rev the engine and throw it in gear, but you get the idea.

If I've just spent 3-6k on a bike I will probably be more inclined to treat it nicely.

People renting bikes probably fall into one of two categories, true beginner, or just traveling and instead of paying to have their bike shipped, they will just rent. Since Utah really isn't a DH destination spot (yet), I think you will find more of the former than the latter.

Individuals do dumb stuff. You are more likely to buy a "lightly" used bike from an individual for various reasons that I will pretend to know about below:

Bought a bike without the permission of the spouse and finally sell it out of guilt (or to stop the nagging, take your pick).
    Bought too big of a bike before actually deciding if this kind of riding is suited to you. "I would totally hit that drop if I didn't have puddles the poodle depending on me, where would he get his kibble if I couldn't work?
    Unforeseen financial emergency. (not funny, but realistic)

I actually rented a Giant Glory from Deer Valley a few years ago when my friend got me to DH for the first time, and the bike was in pretty bad shape. Brakes worked fine and it shifted well, but the suspension was stiff as hell, and was in desperate need of being serviced. It is a business and they want to make as much money on these rentals as possible, proper maintenance does not make for big profits on rentals.

I've never purchased a used DH bike from an individual, or a place of business, so I have no experience with the decision you are faced with. But when you do make your decision, post some pics.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    If you can do a medium I don't think there is any way to beat this deal:
    Ventana El Cuervo Complete with Custom Go-Ride Build, Medium Black - Go-Ride.com Bicycle Shop, Salt Lake City, Utah.

Can't get much better than a Ventana with Go-Ride's backing for $3k.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    I got a used DH bike and like any used bike check the biggest/most expensive parts to make sure they are in working order. Wheels, dents/cracks in frame, bearing/bushing play in linkage, fork, and shock. You get a good deal on all those and as long as most of the other parts work it is trivial. Just dont go too old.

And that Ventana from GO RIDE is a great deal too.

Thread Terrorist
    There are many out there that like the latest and greatest and will sell their 'used one season' bike at a much better cost to you. Keep hunting for used, just be thorough on your inspection.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Resort bikes can be hit or miss. I've seen some year old bikes at Deer Valley that looked just about new, and others that had been rode hard and put away wet. I know they usually sell them off in the fall, but maybe they have some hanging around -- wouldn't hurt to make a few phone calls.

There should be a lot of bikes popping up on classifieds this time of year. KSL seems to be a pretty good one with a lot of bikes.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wipe-out View Post
    I'm looking to do some more DH/freeride oriented riding this season (with shuttles). But, I currently only own an XC bike, so I'm looking to pick up something with a bit more travel.

I don't want to drop 4-5k on a new DH rig, and preferably I'd spend under 2k. I've been looking on various classified for used bikes a little, but I'm hesitant about buying a DH bike from someone I don't know because of the beating the frames and suspension take.

Are there are resorts around the SLC/Park City area that sell last season's rental bikes? In particular, I'm looking for a dual-crown rig, probably with a single front chainring. I'm sure there are some shops in Moab the have rentals for sale, but I don't really want to drive all the way down there.

Thanks!
    Wipe-out,

Do you have a budget in mind? That will help when trying to decide between new, used, or demo. As others have mentioned www.GO-RIDE.com does have an amazing Ventana El Cuervo for $3100 that is brand new and has quality parts and a full warranty.

If you are thinking $2500 to $3000 then the Cuervo is the best you can get. If you are thinking $1500 - $2000 then used will be your best option. However, in that price range plan on an additional $500 to the bike gone through and repair the things all old DH bikes need repaired. Heck, a new set of tires alone is $100 or more.

Good luck with your search. Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Airborne Flight Crew
    Don't rule out the Airborne Taka: Airborne Bicycles. Taka Under $1400, great entry level DH rig.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ill jump on Scotts coat tails and say go see the guys at Go-Ride. Extremely knowledgable, very nice bikes in the trail/freeride/DH area at crazy deals, IMO. They have always taken great care of me on custom builds and my weekly list of 20 stupid questions.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride