mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Dark Hollow vs Blowhard

I have not done either but plan to do both this summer. Which of these two trails do people like better? How do these two trails differ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dark Hollow is steeper. Do them both for sure

I'd rather be biking...
    Do them both.

They both are worth the effert.

Blowhard in its entirely is all ST and is around 7 miles, Dark hollow is over 12 miles but 6 of it is on doubletrack.

Both have great views but Blowhard wins with a awesome view of Cedar Breaks national monument.

Dark hollow is more "chunky" and more DH oriented but is just fine on a 5 or 6 inch bike were as blowhard can be more all mountain and friendly on a bike with less travel.

We usually head up early and do all 3 in a day. (Bunker creek, Blow Hard, Dark hollow) with a shuttle and that my friend is an awesome day.

RHRF!
    +1 on doing them both. They are different enough to make them both enjoyable, but I think Blow Hard is my favorite.

Last time we were there, a couple of us rode Hendrickson Lake Trail for the first time. It's halfway down Dark Hollow to the left and gives you a little bit different ending to the ride. It drops you off a little bit further down to the same fire road finish.

"The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro View Post
    +1 on doing them both. They are different enough to make them both enjoyable, but I think Blow Hard is my favorite.
    Last time we were there, a couple of us rode Hendrickson Lake Trail for the first time. It's halfway down Dark Hollow to the left and gives you a little bit different ending to the ride. It drops you off a little bit further down to the same fire road finish.
    Yes you can run 3 different version of dark hollow by taking either hendrickson lake, dark hollow, or paradise canyon(old bunker) for the finish. We usually do hedrickson lake too, that's my favorite way to do it.