ODB
    mtbr member

Couple St. George questions

Little Creek Mesa
    Just how difficult is it to find the route there? We're a group of SoCalers coming out April 5-8, and our guy who knows the trail might not be able to make it now. Should we be worried about getting lost up there? Does the area see enough traffic on a Sunday that it won't be that much of a concern?

Afternoon ride:
    We're rolling into Hurricane probably around 2 p.m. on the Saturday. Will that leave us enough time to do the full loop at Gooseberry (including Harris Secret Trail), or would we really have to hammer to pull that off? If that's not doable, would it be wise to maybe hit Bearclaw Poppy (plus maybe Barrel or Zen) on the way into Hurricane instead? Or do recommend some other area?

Trail access:
    We'll have a couple trucks with us, but i think only one is 4WD. As long as the roads aren't super gunked up from rain, should we have no problem accessing Goose, Little Creek and Grafton? Where might we have problems?

Thanks for any help you can offer. Can't wait for April to arrive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well there seems to be some disagreement

There was another thread about navigation at little creek a few weeks back that you may be able to find if you search. I posted and said that I think its super hard to navigate and you would be lucky to even find the trailhead without someone that has been there multiple times. So maybe other people are better trail scouts then me, but personally I would go prepared with GPS or a local guide. No little creek does not see enough traffic that you can count on seeing other riders anyday of the week.

Goose is like 45 min from hurricane, so if you get there at 2 best case senario you are riding by 3:30. So that gives you like 4 hours which gives you enough time to ride all of the mapped trails, depending on how fast you are of course. Gooseberry is really not the best place to ride if you are in a hurry or trying to get anywhere fast. Its fun to ride and take some time trying to make all the technical parts, and enjoying the company.

Personally I would not miss the Barrell Ride, Barrell Roll, and the Zen. I much prefer them to Goose. I guess it depends what type of riding you like, I like this area because unlike Goose its a serious workout. There is some climbing to be had, and some 45 min steady efforts are needed here. Goose is flat and while it can be fun it lacks the areobic efforts that I like to put into a ride. The Zen and adjacent Bear claw etc has both. Fun techy stuff, and enough climbing ot make even the fittest amoung us wonder how long it goes on like this.
    Goose and Little creek will be no problem as long as they are dry for a 2wd truck. Unless its a toyota in which case I know a good mechanic in St George.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I found little creek's trailhead to be easy to find with the directions from Utahmountainbiking.com

The trail had a couple of tricky spots for me and having my GPS with me as a backup was comforting but I didn't need it to find the trail. The two spots I had trouble with I found with a little scouting and they were both turns I just missed the paint dots for.

I also did it in the middle of winter so there was noone else out there and no recent trails so I expect that in peak season with other riders around you should be pretty ok as long as you pay attention and are prepared to stop and make sure you are on the trail still. The directions on utahmountainbiking were very useful.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    I found little creek's trailhead to be easy to find with the directions from Utahmountainbiking.com

The trail had a couple of tricky spots for me and having my GPS with me as a backup was comforting but I didn't need it to find the trail. The two spots I had trouble with I found with a little scouting and they were both turns I just missed the paint dots for.

I also did it in the middle of winter so there was noone else out there and no recent trails so I expect that in peak season with other riders around you should be pretty ok as long as you pay attention and are prepared to stop and make sure you are on the trail still. The directions on utahmountainbiking were very useful.
    I don't know when you were at Little Creek, but the trail no longer has painted dots. Hopefully people will respect this and not repaint them. It took a lot of effort to remove the illegally painted dots.
    Little Creek is cairned (too many in some places) and the bike traffic has changed the surface of the rock enough that the trail is fairly easy to follow. There are numerous intersections and converging loops so that can be confusing. GPS and a trail map will help. You can also get info from Over The Edge at the base of the hill on SR 59 in Hurricane.
    The St George BLM is working on making Little Creek an official bike trail. Unfortunately they are moving at the speed of government, so this is taking awhile. When finished the area will be huge, much larger than Gooseberry.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    I don't know when you were at Little Creek, but the trail no longer has painted dots. Hopefully people will respect this and not repaint them. It took a lot of effort to remove the illegally painted dots.
    Little Creek is cairned (too many in some places) and the bike traffic has changed the surface of the rock enough that the trail is fairly easy to follow. There are numerous intersections and converging loops so that can be confusing. GPS and a trail map will help. You can also get info from Over The Edge at the base of the hill on SR 59 in Hurricane.
    The St George BLM is working on making Little Creek an official bike trail. Unfortunately they are moving at the speed of government, so this is taking awhile. When finished the area will be huge, much larger than Gooseberry.
    You're right, now that I think about it it wasn't painted dots. But it was well marked with traffic and cairns in the open slick rock areas. I have just become so used to following trails like little creek by following the "markers of traffic/travel" that I always think of those indications as painted dots.

(I was there the week of Christmas/new year this winter).

ODB
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, guys. Now if April would just get here quicker ...