mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Clearfield questions

I'm researching the Clearfield area and have a few questions. I've googled and found some info, but I'm interested in hearing from anyone that knows the area.

Does Clearfield have a good cycling commmunity?

Does that area get a ton of snow in the winter? Meaning are there areas as the base of the mountains or lower elevations that are still rideable in Dec?

How are the real estate prices? Is it reasonable to own a home there? Possibly at the base of the mountains?

Thanks

Mtn Biker Machinist
    If you want to live close to the mountains, you are looking at Ogden, South Ogden, South Weber, Layton, Kaysville, not Clearfield.

I lived in Clinton, which borders Clearfield to the north, for 3 years. That area is mostly flat, and no real riding within riding distance, except a few bike paths. The good riding is in the foothills of Ogden, Layton and Kaysville, then up Ogden Canyon, or down in Bountiful.

We get snow, but not a ton. There are some trails that are rideable in the winter, but it depends on the year. Last year we had very little snow, and I had one of the best rides of the year Jan 2nd on the Ogden section of the Bonneville Shoreline trail.

Cycling community is so so. Lots of people ride, but not so much community. Ogden is a very bike friendly city. Ogden sometimes gets a bad rep, but it's a great place to live. I live south of Harrison Blvd, close to Weber State University. I am 10 min by bike from the trail heads on the Bonneville Shoreline trail, and about 15 min driving to the trails in Ogden Canyon. I love the Ogden area.

Real estate is pretty reasonable right now if you are a buyer, not so much if you are trying to sell. Prices will go up the closer you get to the mountains, so it is a trade off of accessibility vs. home prices.

Any more ?'s just ask.

Here is a link to the trails in the area:

Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

From the home page, go to Trails>Select by region>Ogden area

frog

Mtn Biker Machinist
    As cities in Utah go, it has a reputation for having a problem with gangs and the like. It is no worse, and quite a bit better than many areas in the Salt Lake Valley. There are certainly areas in the city I would not live, but that is true of any city.

The closer you get to the mountains, the better the neighborhoods and schools are.

Personally, I would rather live in Ogden than anywhere in the Salt Lake Valley.

frog

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks. Just curious as I don't know the area, but why does Ogden get a bad rep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There's actually a nice variety of riding in the foothills of layton/Kaysville/fruit heights area. Lots of great trails that go off the shoreline up here. Also, you can easily get as long a ride as you might want on the shoreline/side trails in this area. I live west of I-15 in kaysville but still manage to be only a 4 mile ride from the shoreline trailhead in my area. Then the variety and quality of trails within about an hour drive is super awesome too when you want to branch out a bit.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I can't imagine living anywhere in the valley other than Ogden (If I had $$, I'd live in Park City though). If you like the outdoors and don't like cookie-cutter homes/strip malls, you'll like Ogden. If you like everthing new, O-town isn't for you. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I live in Clinton/Clearfield and we have a group of locals that are mountain biking every week. It's a great location being in between Ogden and Salt Lake City.