Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tigers love pepper...

Choosing a shuttle?

Want to hit Porcupine next weekend. Any reason to pick Porcupine over Coyote, or someone else?

Edit: We are camping at Portal RV park which I believe is really close to the Negro Bill lot, so I think ideally we would ride over there for pickup instead of riding/driving into town. But either works.
    Last edited by cobi; 03-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Bored Carp
    Acme! Kyle will customize for you if he isn't booked.

Moab Area Shuttle Services
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you are in pretty solid shape and riding a XC style bike, its an easy ride up from town.

Tigers love pepper...
    37lb AM bike. Average shape. We'll be shuttling :-)

I am taking an XC bike with for another ride, but thought the bigger bike was a better bet for my first time on Porc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speedier racer View Post
    If you are in pretty solid shape and riding a XC style bike, its an easy ride up from town.
    Speedier . . . . that is the worst advice I have ever heard. With all of the downhill in Moab to ride, why would you spend your time on a gravel road and pavement. What a bunch of X-country bull shizit. I am always amazed at the x-country dudes that come to Moab and spend there time and their egos racing each other on the pavement. If you want to ride pavement and dirt roads, go to Ohio. And then why would you want to ride a cross-country bike down? Porcupine destroys x-country bikes, simply not enough suspension. What a waste of a Moab trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This is GREAT advice!

Wasting money on a shuttle is not the thing to do. With today's rising costs of Nair and endurance supplements, paying a shuttle driver is not a wise financial decision.

I've heard that some of the shuttle companies will offer a 50% discount if you pedal up Sand Flats road and then catch the shuttle back to town. It is certainly better to do this than to try and fit body armor over the full lycra team kit.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Great idea taking two bikes, if the one you leave is safe from theft. You will like the bigger bike for the rougher sections from the rim down.

We always go with Uranium bike shop for shuttles. Marshall and his wife are great people, and the cost for their shuttle service is about average of what the others charge.

Coyote shuttles are good, but they are SLOW, seems like it takes a couple of hours to get to Warner Lake campground. Probably not that long but it is slow.

All the companies are good, we just like Uranium the best.
    Hope that you have a blast riding.

Mick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    ... And then why would you want to ride a cross-country bike down? Porcupine destroys x-country bikes, simply not enough suspension. What a waste of a Moab trip.
    I was thinking of a trip to Moab this year but only have cross-country bikes. How serious are you about needing a bike with more suspension?
    What are the name of the trails that would be suitable for cross-country riding? (if any).

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    I was thinking of a trip to Moab this year but only have cross-country bikes. How serious are you about needing a bike with more suspension?
    What are the name of the trails that would be suitable for cross-country riding? (if any).
    Remember that almost all of the trails people are riding in Moab today on big AM bikes were rode on fully rigid bikes not that many years ago. It would probably be helpful to know what bike you're riding but I think what is far more important is what your skill level is.

A couple years ago a friend who is an intermediate rider on a rigid bike joined us for a Porcupine lap and she just walked sections she couldn't ride. Turns into a fair amount of walking but if you're ok with that then you can ride most everything on any bike you want to bring.

For the OP; I've had good experiences every time we've used Porcupine shuttle and I would not hesitate to recommend them.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Riding a bike is the worst advice, good one. For some of us, riding 50 miles doesn't tire us out. I guess it nice to be in shape, but easy to be out of shape. I've ridden all sorts of bikes down Porc. I am not here to "stoke my ego" or something like that. Its an easy climb. I can descend quite fine with my XC bike, which is built for racing and riding fun trails (like Porc, not Ohio). I don't ride a 19lb crackndale. This is why I prefaced it with "if you have a XC bike." But lets make fun of others who ride bikes instead of being happy all sorts of other riders are out enjoying a sick trail. It would be pretty sweet to have a bigger travel bike for things like that, but I don't have one, so I ride the machine I have, which works quite fine. And I probably won't get a bigger travel bike until they can make them pretty good without little wheels. I am sure its nice to pay someone else $10 to do the work, but its really nice to be able to be self sufficient and ride when and where you like.

mtbr member
    Porc is fine on an "XC bike," whatever that might be. I've ridden it on my 4.5" Jamis XLT, hitting everything but the few spots were "everyone" walks. Even at 235 lbs. The trail gives the suspension a workout, to be sure, but the bike is still alive and doing just fine.

Of course I'm itching to try it on my 6" "AM" bike this summer -- might ride the trail a little differently -- but there's all kinds of bikes on Porc every day, from full rigid to DH bikes.

+1 on the shuttle. Never used a pro service before, but why waste time in Moab riding on pavement/gravel?
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Team Sanchez
    Coyote shuttle is a joke. Jesse is a complete ****** nozzle. Why would you pick Coyote with their old beat up VW's, when you can ride in style? We always use Brian at Porcupine Shuttle. He is a class act with newer vans.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    Acme! Kyle will customize for you if he isn't booked.

Moab Area Shuttle Services
    +1 for Kyle@Acme...he's good folks!

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon View Post
    Coyote shuttle is a joke. Jesse is a complete ****** nozzle. Why would you pick Coyote with their old beat up VW's, when you can ride in style? We always use Brian at Porcupine Shuttle. He is a class act with newer vans.
    I like Jessie. He is the original that started it all. Welded his own racks, maintenance, etc. Good guy. Brian is a good guy as well. But I think Kyle is a great 1st choice.

Tigers love pepper...
    I am sure its nice to pay someone else $10 to do the work, but its really nice to be able to be self sufficient and ride when and where you like.
    While I appreciate the fact that you may love to ride 50 miles. That doesn't sound like a particularly fun day to me. I'd rather spend the afternoon at the pool with my 2 year old then riding up sand flats.

I'll err on the side of extra travel on my first trip down porc. Maybe next time I will take the XC bike, but I still doubt that riding up the road would add any to my enjoyment.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll pass on the road tour.

Edit - PS, my buddies wife offered to get up and shuttle us, so it looks like we'll have to find another way to stimulate the local economy this trip. Now hopefully everything will be dry for this weekend. I doubt you guys got any more snow than we did in GJ?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Kyle at Acme is on my speed dial, I also roll from Poison Spider on their shuttle fairly frequently.

Porc from town is a nice loop. The climb up sand flats is a bit plain but the scenery is awesome and it's not the death march some would have you believe. Riding Mag 7 from town via Potash and Long Canyon out Gemini Bridges is a bit grueling and not the sweetest way to scope the goods. But hey, I guess I just like to ride my bike. Riding Porc from town and including Slickrock and Fins N Things IS a death march and I can't really recommend it.

JMH

pedlr
    Apr 2006
    Edit - PS, my buddies wife offered to get up and shuttle us, so it looks like we'll have to find another way to stimulate the local economy this trip. Now hopefully everything will be dry for this weekend. I doubt you guys got any more snow than we did in GJ?[/QUOTE]

Dont know what it will be like up thar on porc, but Mag 7 is gonna be glorious. I'm itching to do Mag 7 down to Bar M, or better yet
    park in the middle then ride down, up and down to the middle again.

I'm gonna ride sat and/or sunday, but I dont know when my buddies are available.

Also gearing up to do the new shuttle route, not yet named:
    Drop off at north klondike, up mega steps, down north baby steps,
    ekg to a couple of hidden gems to sovereign down to a mile of copper ridge to the cliff trail to north circle o to lazy then back down ez to deadmans down to longbranch to killer b to waiting shuttle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I brought my hartdtail to Moab last year. It has a 5" fork. I rode all Porc from UPS. I did opt for the easier line as opposed to the "notch", but didn't need to walk anything. I'm sure your XC bike will be fine...as long as you can ride it.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    ekg to a couple of hidden gems to sovereign down to a mile of copper ridge to the cliff trail to north circle o to lazy then back down ez to deadmans down to longbranch to killer b to waiting shuttle.
    Haven't thought of that one. Good Idea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Remember that almost all of the trails people are riding in Moab today on big AM bikes were rode on fully rigid bikes not that many years ago. It would probably be helpful to know what bike you're riding but I think what is far more important is what your skill level is.

A couple years ago a friend who is an intermediate rider on a rigid bike joined us for a Porcupine lap and she just walked sections she couldn't ride. Turns into a fair amount of walking but if you're ok with that then you can ride most everything on any bike you want to bring.

For the OP; I've had good experiences every time we've used Porcupine shuttle and I would not hesitate to recommend them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Porc is fine on an "XC bike," whatever that might be. I've ridden it on my 4.5" Jamis XLT, hitting everything but the few spots were "everyone" walks. Even at 235 lbs. The trail gives the suspension a workout, to be sure, but the bike is still alive and doing just fine.

Of course I'm itching to try it on my 6" "AM" bike this summer -- might ride the trail a little differently -- but there's all kinds of bikes on Porc every day, from full rigid to DH bikes.

+1 on the shuttle. Never used a pro service before, but why waste time in Moab riding on pavement/gravel?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaclynj View Post
    I brought my hartdtail to Moab last year. It has a 5" fork. I rode all Porc from UPS. I did opt for the easier line as opposed to the "notch", but didn't need to walk anything. I'm sure your XC bike will be fine...as long as you can ride it.
    hey I didn't mean to hijack this thread but not knowing the trails I kinda thought Moab was one of those ride 'em up & then ride it down kind of place. I ride an Epic 29er and recently got a Lefty hard tail so I suppose I just have to find trails that work best for what I ride. I'm actually not into jumps and large boulders so I'm sure there are other trails to ride.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    An awesome route, and the bottom shuttle isn't really necessary as it only takes about 15 mins to get back to town from Killer B!

JMH

deez nuts

Another vote for Brain @ Porc shuttle

Quality dude, quality vans, satelite radio.

mtbr member
    "Also gearing up to do the new shuttle route, not yet named:
    ekg to a couple of hidden gems to sovereign down to a mile of copper ridge to the cliff trail to north circle o to lazy then back down ez to deadmans down to longbranch to killer b to waiting shuttle."

Some good stuff out there....really nice slickrock out that way, didn't think too many people were riding it. Nice to combine it with Cedar Mesa loop for a nice addition to baby steps and what not.

Too bad the park comes so far out at the corner.....could be a truly epic route through there all the way to Sovereign.

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks everyone. Had a great time. Did nice loop at Brand Trails last night (EZ, Rockin' A, Circle O, bar m back to EZ to finish) on the XC bike.

Got on Porcupine about 8:30 this AM and made it back to camp at 11:45. Not too bad considering some picture stops and a few little breaks. Two things:

1. Glad I didn't ride up from town. That would have added zero fun, actually would have significantly detracted from it. To each their own.

2. Glad I took the bigger bike! It wasn't a ton of fun slugging up the climb but sure was nice on the way down.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Glad you had fun cobi. Where on Porcupine did you start from, Hazard, UPS, or LPS?
    Big bikes can be fun on that trail, just a little more grunt work going uphill, (hike-a-bike sometimes).
    Thanks for the update.

Mick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast