Anytime. Anywhere.

Cheap tires For Utah?

I am planning a trip down to the St George area and don't want to destroy my Hans Damphs. I need a 2.3-2.4 that will work well on my Flow EX rims, stick to the rock, not fall apart, weigh 850 grams or less. I just retired and I really don't want to destroy a $60 tire on the second ride.

Thank You.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I run a Conti Trail King on the front, which is in your more expensive tire range, but have a Nashbar Senor on the back. I live in N. Utah and love it for the trails up here. But I've been to both St. George and Moab this year with the tire and it has performed great.

Two options, wire or kevlar bead... both cheap and well under your 850 g limit.
    Nashbar Seņor Traction Kevlar Bead Mountain Tire - Mountain Bike Tires
    Nashbar Seņor Traction Wire Bead Mountain Tire - Mountain Bike Tires

If you've never ordered on Nashbar before they do charge a minimum shipping fee of like $7... so stock up on patches, tubes, lube, cheap shirts or whatever other goodies you can find in their "bargin bin".

mtbr member
    I have no idea how these are, but: Panaracer Swoop AllTrail Tire - 26x2.4" - 2012 Closeout at REI-OUTLET.com

They are 26x2.4, wire bead. 849.999 grams...about. $17.73

mtbr member
    26 or 29? I've had decent luck with the Performance house brand Forte Tsali in back with a Pisgah up front. If you're ok with wire bead, and catch them on sale (if they're not this week, probably next seems to be the way it goes) you can get them under 20 bucks. Heck, I got the folding beads in 29 for 19.99 (not at the same time)
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I rode with two Continental Trail King 2.2's in Hurricane & St George this past winter, and loved how they handled the dirt. I'm curious why you would want to ride amazing trails on cheap tires. What are you saving the Hans Dampfs for? I wouldn't think you're any more likely to destroy a tire in St George than on any other rocky/dirt trail, but I haven't ridden everything in the area.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    This is no exaggeration, I usually keep an eye out at the dumpsters/recycling bins at the shops here in town, and use something from there for über chunk. A tall beer will usually buy you a usable tire from any busy shop, especially one with rental fleets.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Thanks for the answers. I tried the Conti MK and almost cried when I tore the sidewall on one trip. I found On-One Chunky Monkey's for $25.74 USD with free shipping to Canada. They should work well here in BC as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Thanks for the answers. I tried the Conti MK and almost cried when I tore the sidewall on one trip. I found On-One Chunky Monkey's for $25.74 USD with free shipping to Canada. They should work well here in BC as well.
    FYI - next time buy the Continentals with the "ProTection" sidewall. I've run them the past 2 seasons (Mountain King II / X-King - 2 different sets); they've been 100% bullet-proof after a full season of Northern Utah riding (the sidewalls look terrible from the abrasions, but they're obviously doing their job).

Hans Dampfs are priced crazy.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I get the HD from Chainreaction so the price is more normal. I may try some more MK in the future as I've always liked Conti's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Conti UST Trail Kings hold up really well down here. I don't mind the weight penalty with the UST because the sidewalls on those things are burly. They aren't cheap though.