Afric Pepperbird

Cheap dive motels in Moab?

Greetings to my neighbors to the south.

I just lost my job, and am thinking of taking a trip to Moab for some biking before resuming my job search. This will be my first trip biking there.

What are the cheapest dive motels around, in case I need a break from camping? I have stayed in many dive motels before, and don't really mind them as long as the shower-head has good pressure, and there are no druggie needles under the mattress. And no bodily fluid stains on the carpeting!

I guess what I'm really after is, are there any motels in the $40-50 range? Probably a pipe dream, huh? I've got to keep a very tight budget, now that I'm unemployed.

Thanks in advance.

edit: also, I see most of the BLM campgrounds are @ 4000 feet. Are they open now and snow-free?

Paste eater
    You want the Lazy Lizard hostel. I'm not sure there is anything cheaper than that in town. Moab Cyclery and the aquatic center have showers for a few bucks. With the exception of campgrounds in the las La Sals, all campgrounds are snow free.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    You want the Lazy Lizard hostel. I'm not sure there is anything cheaper than that in town. Moab Cyclery and the aquatic center have showers for a few bucks. With the exception of campgrounds in the las La Sals, all campgrounds are snow free.
    That sounds great. The private rooms are dirt cheap. Thanks

Ninja Master Powers
    I'm thinking of taking my son to Moab over spring break to put some time on his new Nomad. I've never been myself; are there ample beginner and low intermediate trails that are long enough to keep his attention but short enough he doesn't get bored?

mtbr member
    I stayed at the Bowen Motel when I was there during thanksgiving. Awesome service, Nice beds and they even let you store your bikes in the room. i think we got it for like 40 bucks a night.

beater

Cheap dive motels in Moab?

If they're snowed in at 4,000 feet, there's not much point in going. That's the elevation in downtown Moab. I think you'll be fine.

I've stayed at the Lazy Lizard once. It's like camping under a roof. I don't need to do it again, but it wasn't a bad experience or anything. It'll be fine for what you need. If you don't mind a tent but want some comforts and to be closer to downtown, check out Up the Creek campground (you can buy a shower there, too). A lot of the other campgrounds have cabins that were in the $40-$50 range a year or two ago, but I wouldn't swear to what they are now.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    I stayed at the Bowen Motel when I was there during thanksgiving. Awesome service, Nice beds and they even let you store your bikes in the room. i think we got it for like 40 bucks a night.
    At least 2x that now tho.