tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

Cassidy/casto question

Coming from LA to BrianHead in a couple weeks. Staying in Duck Creek Village. Looking forward to riding the bike park one day, Bunker Creek and Dark Hallow another day, and then on third day We are also planning on riding Thunder Mtn, and while we are in that area looking for a second ride.

Cassidy/Losee/Casto trails/loop keep popping up, but not really sure how to loop it to get the most bang for our time. Do we, can we shuttle up Cassidy? Do we ride up Cassidy down Casto and then hit a the fire road? Is Casto a better choice over Losee or vice-versa?

Any and all help, insight is greatly appreciated,
    -rep
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Loose-Cassidy-Casto

Last time I rode it we parked at the Loose Trailhead along the dirt road that heads north off US-12. Has a big sign kiosk with a super trail map identifying all types of trails in the area. I suggest taking a photo of it with the phone to carry with you if you want to explore some side trails. We went up (east) on Loose, then north on Cassidy and came down Casto Canyon to the dirt road then south back to the car. Great scenery with lots of ecologic and geologic diversity along the way. Don’t recall the mileage but the attached link will give you some idea. Trails are well marked.
    Cassidy Trail

mtbr member
    It's been several years but when I did it we parked at the Casto trail head (a mile or two up the road from Losee) and went up Casto, Cassidy, and down Losee. Like Wheelbender says, great scenery. There's a backcountry toilet on the northend of Cassidy, if you follow the trail to it just past there is a great overlook of the upper part of Casto canyon. Casto (at the time) was primarily ATV trail, Losee was singletrack. Cassidy has a lot of little ups and downs but would probably be easier (trends downhill) the way Wheelbender rode. I don't remember the exact distance, but it's not real long, 12-15 miles I guess.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

NMBP
    It's also easy to ride Losee, Cassidy and Thunder Mountain as a loop. Last time I rode Casto it was heavily ATV traffic (rentals) like johnnyspoke mentioned. Losee sees a lot of guider horse tours though.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Last month I camped out down by Losee trailhead and did Thunder Mtn on the first day as it's own and then did Losee up to Cassidy, took a left and went to the top of Casto as an out and back. Losee is definitely loose from all of the hoof traffic, but darn it's pretty and fun (loved the drifty corners). Just be careful of horse traffic if you decide to come back down that way.

If you want extra single track miles, it would be pretty easy to go up Losee, take a right on Cassidy, take to the road, cross and then do thunder loop and come back Losee for a bigger lollipop shaped kind of ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Photo Slide Show

We did Thunder Mtn. and Casto/Losse Trails in September so all the Horsy riders and ATV’ers had put their kids back in school. We saw a few horses but no ATV’s. I want to thank them both since some great local trails have been blazed by them. Also the ATV folks came to my rescue once so I have a hard time criticizing them……only those that misbehave, as I would any other group.
    Go to the website below and scroll down to the yellow and green map. Just above the map are two links to photo slide shows. One is “Casto Canyon Photo Slide Show” the other is “Peterson Point Overlooking Casto Canyon.” It was all smooth and groovy trail riding,no chunk. Just look at the ATV trails as slightly wider single track.

]http://www.atvutah.com/southern/casto_canyon_trail.htm[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would recommend riding/shuttling the thunder mountain loop, then ride Cassidy from the TH off hwy 12 down Lossee. You can then either bail back to the hwy or continue up Casto back over to Lossee. Then either go back down Lossee again or continue on Cassidy. At 7000-8000 ft elevation, it's a long day if you ride the entire loop.