Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11 Bravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    966

    Can someone identify this Moab trail?

    A buddy of mine found this picture on the net and is wondering what trial it is. Can one of you guys identify it for me?

    A half dozen of us from Northeast Wyoming are planning a trip down to Moab the first week of May. Trying to start roughing in some riding plans and we are curious about this trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone identify this Moab trail?-moab-dsc_3883.jpg  

    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

  2. #2
    Dr. Pepper drinker
    Reputation: catch22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
    A buddy of mine found this picture on the net and is wondering what trial it is. Can one of you guys identify it for me?

    A half dozen of us from Northeast Wyoming are planning a trip down to Moab the first week of May. Trying to start roughing in some riding plans and we are curious about this trail.
    Looks like the lower section of Amasa?
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnnyspoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    791
    Amasa gets my vote as well.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11 Bravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    966
    Thanks you guys. I will look into it.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnnyspoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    791
    Check utahmountainbiking.com for a good online resource. There is a lot of great stuff in Moab (Amasa in one of them)
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

  6. #6
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    341
    Mos def Amasa Back. Ride the Amasa Back jeep trail to pothole arch singletrack, to Rockstacker, and then either down Jacksons or back up to Amasa for a killer ride down
    Ride On!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11 Bravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    Mos def Amasa Back. Ride the Amasa Back jeep trail to pothole arch singletrack, to Rockstacker, and then either down Jacksons or back up to Amasa for a killer ride down

    Cool man. Thanks. I'll check it out.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

  8. #8
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,996
    I have a photo of the same rocks taken about half way up Amasa Back. Great views along the entire trail.


  9. #9
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,466
    Come on, give us a harder one 100% Amasa.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dre10dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    24
    Going back to Moab this April 13-27. Happy to ride with you if you're there (and you're not took fast for an old guy like me).

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    346
    I was there in November and had a blast, this was the list we rode:
    Day 1. Klondike Bluffs
    Day 2. Amasa Back
    Day 3. Porcipnine Rim (hopefully you will get to ride high up and start near Hazard co)
    Day 4. Mag 7 to Bar M to Town
    Day 5. In town highly underrated Pipedream trail
    Day 6. sovereign

    If you are driving from the North, do yourself a huge favor and strop through Grand Junction/Fruita (Lunch Loops, 18 Road & Kokopelli loops are are REALLY good)

    enjoy!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11 Bravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    I was there in November and had a blast, this was the list we rode:
    Day 1. Klondike Bluffs
    Day 2. Amasa Back
    Day 3. Porcipnine Rim (hopefully you will get to ride high up and start near Hazard co)
    Day 4. Mag 7 to Bar M to Town
    Day 5. In town highly underrated Pipedream trail
    Day 6. sovereign

    If you are driving from the North, do yourself a huge favor and strop through Grand Junction/Fruita (Lunch Loops, 18 Road & Kokopelli loops are are REALLY good)

    enjoy!
    Thanks for the suggestions. This is our second trip to Moab, but we only got to spend 2 days last time and the weather was pretty cold and windy so we didn't get any serious riding in.

    We will be spending one night in Fruita, which will give us an afternoon and a decent day to ride there before heading to Moab. We can't check into the condo until 3 PM. We have ridden Fruita several times. Love the area and there are still tons of trails in that area I haven't ridden.

    Since you guys are being so helpful, what is the straight dope on Porcupine Rim? Some of the on-line reviews make it sound like it is advanced expert and you are taking your life in your hands to ride it, other reviews talk about beginners riding it on hardtails.

    There are 6 of us making the trip this time and it is the first bike trip any of us have done where we will have 2 vehicles and the ability to shuttle stuff. Most of us are not really advanced class riders, but we ride some fairly rocky stuff in the Black Hills and trails like Horsethief are not a problem for any of us.( I'll admit, I walk a few spots on Horsethief).

    Porcupine is on our list, but we don't want to get anyone busted up or tie into anything that is going to be too much for anyone. I hear stories about Porcupine Rim that there is lots of cliff exposure and fall danger with serious consequences.

    Are there alternate lines around the hairy sections or the ability to walk them?
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11 Bravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by dre10dancer View Post
    Going back to Moab this April 13-27. Happy to ride with you if you're there (and you're not took fast for an old guy like me).
    Man, I wish we could link up. We are going to be there May 3 -7.

    Believe me, there is no danger of anyone calling me too fast. I am not an athlete, I am a beer drinker who owns a bicycle

    I am 49. Age is a relative thing, but I see you didn't list fat so I may have you there. I am an old, fat, slow guy.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

  14. #14
    addict
    Reputation: powderhound82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
    Since you guys are being so helpful, what is the straight dope on Porcupine Rim? Some of the on-line reviews make it sound like it is advanced expert and you are taking your life in your hands to ride it, other reviews talk about beginners riding it on hardtails.
    Porcupine Rim can be as fast and challenging as you want to make it, but there is nothing you can't get around or just take slower Depending on the severity of the winter, you may be able to ride some of the stuff above Porc Rim, such as LPS, UPS, maybe even Hazzard County, well worth the effort. Check back on here or with the local shops for conditions before you get here.
    Ride On!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post

    Since you guys are being so helpful, what is the straight dope on Porcupine Rim? Some of the on-line reviews make it sound like it is advanced expert and you are taking your life in your hands to ride it, other reviews talk about beginners riding it on hardtails.

    There are 6 of us making the trip this time and it is the first bike trip any of us have done where we will have 2 vehicles and the ability to shuttle stuff. Most of us are not really advanced class riders, but we ride some fairly rocky stuff in the Black Hills and trails like Horsethief are not a problem for any of us.( I'll admit, I walk a few spots on Horsethief).

    Porcupine is on our list, but we don't want to get anyone busted up or tie into anything that is going to be too much for anyone. I hear stories about Porcupine Rim that there is lots of cliff exposure and fall danger with serious consequences.

    Are there alternate lines around the hairy sections or the ability to walk them?
    I am in my mid forties and I soloed the loop last spring on an HT. Shuttling it should not be a problem for your group. There is not really any exposure along the trail where a mistake could prove catastrophic. It is possible to dismount any sections where one would want to and walk, without a problem.
    2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo 2 /// 2000 Ritchey Swiss Cross

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11 Bravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    966
    Thanks for the input on the trail. I figured there were either alternate lines or some way to get around the very technical spots.

    It is funny reading trail reviews and peoples blogs. Seems more and more I end up with more questions than I started with.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •