mtbr member
    May 2006

Camping in Moab and Gooseberry, need insight

I am planning a trip to Sedona, Gooseberry, and Moab and I need some help on camping locations. I have a pimp spot in Sedona but I'm still researching the other two.

I will be pulling a small Scamp Camper so some mild off-roading is no prob. It has a battery to run lights and propane for heat. Power hook up would be nice but not a bust.

Here are some things I am looking for in a camp site:

-Ideally I don't want to be to close to other campers.

-I would love to be able to make a fire and feel like I am outdoors and not in a mobile home park.

-I would like a place that has Verizon coverage. Would be nice for several reasons. Worse case I would have to drive a little for it.

-Power hook up might be a cool option but I figure I may have to be closer to other campers

-Nice view (somewhat important)

-$$$$ Well, I would pay my fair share for power but a good view and campers not to close will offset the power issue.

The above is just some things to consider and none alone are deal breakers.

Let's see what you have for ideas. I'm open for input. It would help me a ton if you could provide specifics. Location, coordinates, maps, phone numbers, directions, etc.

I'm flying solo on this and I'm running out of prep time to make this happen.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There's plenty of camping on the dirt road out to Gooseberry. It's all undeveloped, but there's a bathroom near the trail-head. I'd bring your own firewood if you're planning on having a fire, but I had cell service when we were there in November, and you can ride from your camping spot to the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've never stayed in these locations but they might be worth looking into if nothing else in the area works out. They are close to mtb trails in the St. George/Hurricane/Goose areas:

Sand Hollow State Park
    Quail Creek State Park

Red Cliffs Campground - Note: Campsites can NOT be reserved; they are first come first serve. Access to the campground is through tunnels that restrict vehicle size to less than 12 feet in height or width.

Snow Canyon State Park - a bit further from Gooseberry Trails, but the landscape is amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks! Will have to check these places out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Do you have a genset like a Honda EU2000? If not buy one and never worry about power again!

Gooseberry has excellent Verizon coverage and you can get the little scamp in there. You can also park it at the Hurricane Canal Trailhead.

Sand Hollow is super nice and there is lots of room between spots, this time of year you're fine with no reservation. Campground in Zion natl Park is nice but no power.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Do you have a genset like a Honda EU2000? If not buy one and never worry about power again!

Gooseberry has excellent Verizon coverage and you can get the little scamp in there. You can also park it at the Hurricane Canal Trailhead.

Sand Hollow is super nice and there is lots of room between spots, this time of year you're fine with no reservation. Campground in Zion natl Park is nice but no power.
    I understand what you're saying but I am just renting the camper. I just don't think I can get my wide onboard with a generator in two days. Checking out sand hollow.

Can I camp up on the Mesa? Here are some coordinates of the area I'm talking about.

37 8'26.96"N
    113 9'45.59"W

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes

You can pull out and camp basciall anywhere on the roads around gooseberry
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Camp at gooseberry Mesa. If your trailer doesn't have a lot of clearance, there's a handful of trenches that might or might not be hard to navigate.There is some sweet camping right on gooseberry rim rit next to the trail head. Don't forget to ride little creek mesa which is right next door to gooseberry if you have time. Theres also a new trail called gander trail that's not on the map and is supposed to able sweet

Ride Report
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking View Post
    Camp at gooseberry Mesa. If your trailer doesn't have a lot of clearance, there's a handful of trenches that might or might not be hard to navigate.There is some sweet camping right on gooseberry rim rit next to the trail head. Don't forget to ride little creek mesa which is right next door to gooseberry if you have time. Theres also a new trail called gander trail that's not on the map and is supposed to able sweet

Ride Report
    Very informative! Should be arriving tomorrow night and looking forward to it. Thanks brother.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    When picking out camping spots on Gooseberry please use a well defined existing spot.

Also, be extra carefull with fire...we've had a super dry winter and I'm sure camp fire bans will be in place before long which sucks, but keeps some careless camper(s) from buring down Gooseberry.

Word has it that there will be no warnings this season during the ban period, just tickets.

Stop at Over the Edge (you drive right by them in Hurricane) and pick up a trail map.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    When picking out camping spots on Gooseberry please use a well defined existing spot.

Also, be extra carefull with fire...we've had a super dry winter and I'm sure camp fire bans will be in place before long which sucks, but keeps some careless camper(s) from buring down Gooseberry.

Word has it that there will be no warnings this season during the ban period, just tickets.

Stop at Over the Edge (you drive right by them in Hurricane) and pick up a trail map.
    Read your message about an hour before rolling in. Found a nice spot with a view and afire pit.

mtbr member

Camping at Gooseberry Mesa

Lots of great primitive camp sites at Gooseberry. Drive past the "toilet" intersection and all the way in to the left hand fork parking lot. From there you can back track a bit for camping, and be near the toilets or go forward more into the biking area.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by utahsundog View Post
    Lots of great primitive camp sites at Gooseberry. Drive past the "toilet" intersection and all the way in to the left hand fork parking lot. From there you can back track a bit for camping, and be near the toilets or go forward more into the biking area.

Welcome to six months ago!!! LOL!!!
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Can someone provide me with Google map links to the trailheads of Gooseberry and Little Creek Mesa? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Check out this site. The Skid Map