mtbr member

Bunker/Brian Head Conditions

Any word on the conditions of Bunker and Brian Head? Last year we had to postpone 'cause the trails were not cleared till July.
    Thanks.

NMBP
    I attempted to drive to Brian Head peak on Sunday (6-2-13). You could get about 1/4 mile above the Bunker/ Dark Hollow trailhead. The start of the trail was still under snow. Even if the trail is clear of snow, I would suspect lots of blow down below the Sydney Valley overlook. The south side of Navajo Lake is practically impassible due to downed trees. The trails crew is out and clearing trails from what I've been told.

This is looking down towards the start of the trails just above the trailhead.

Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Great info. I looked at the traffic cam at the summit and didn't see any snow which usually means the trail gnomes are out. We're not coming till the 2nd weekend of July but back in '11 it still wasn't clear in July. Hopefully it's better this year.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    2011 water year was very heavy, and 2013 has been very light.

Looking on this site - NRCS National Water and Climate Center - SNOTEL Map Based Network - Utah
    it doesn't have all of the data for Brian Head in 2011 (really only started there for water year 2012), but there are several very close surrounding sensors that when averaged together show that in 2013 we've had 36% of the water of what we had in 2011 in that area.

To give you an idea of how much difference that is, so far in 2013 Brian Head has had 18.7" of water, that means in 2011 it was over 50" of water based on the averages of the nearby sensors.

So, no surprise things were still closed in 2011, but you should be good to go this year. Thanks for giving me an excuse to get all statistical and nerdy!

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallopius View Post
    2011 water year was very heavy, and 2013 has been very light.

I was surprised there was as much snow on top as there was. It's been a very dry year.

Navajo Lake May 30, 2011, very wet. After the snow melted, the dike was submerged until October at least.

Navajo Lake on June 5, 2012, also a dry year. The dike was never submerged, a lot of the water was left from 2011.

Navajo Lake, one year later June 5, 2013, really dry. Unless it's a wet summer, the lake will mostly disappear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is it possible to climb this trail from panguitch lake or is it recommended to take the shuttle to the peak? For those who have climbed it, how long on avergage does it take for an intermediate rider?

Thanks

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    Is it possible to climb this trail from panguitch lake or is it recommended to take the shuttle to the peak? For those who have climbed it, how long on avergage does it take for an intermediate rider?

Thanks
    There are riders that do this as a loop, down Left or Right Fork, then up the other. I never have, so I don't know the time required. As to which for to go down, it really varies from year to year.

The Left and Right Forks of Bunker are difficult trails to maintain. Both follow fall lines and short of total reroutes, the only solution to erosion is water bars, and they don't last.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I was surprised there was as much snow on top as there was. It's been a very dry year.

Navajo Lake May 30, 2011, very wet. After the snow melted, the dike was submerged until October at least.

Navajo Lake on June 5, 2012, also a dry year. The dike was never submerged, a lot of the water was left from 2011.

Navajo Lake, one year later June 5, 2013, really dry. Unless it's a wet summer, the lake will mostly disappear.

You know that dike broke, right?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    You know that dike broke, right?
    You will notice in my photos that it's breached in the first 2 photos, but not the last. It was repaired last October.

In spite of the breach, in 2011, the lake was above the dike up until October or later.