mtbr member
    May 2012

Buff Loop route in Round Valley in Park City

I'm doing a mountain bike trip in park City in early September. We are a group of guys in our late 50's. A couple of the guys have never ridden mountain bikes on single track trails. So, I was looking to give them an easy intro so that they can get comfortable. I was thinking of doing a loop in Round Valley area starting at the Ability Center/dog park area. Any suggestions for a nice loop on relatively buff single track. I've ridden a bit in the area and most of it is pretty smooth. But I know some areas can be pretty rocky. For the intro ride, I was hoping to make it relatively smooth. Thanks for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    I'm 60. I'm not at liberty to say how old my wife is, but I didn't rob the cradle. I take her to RV to ride.
    We start at The Ice Hockey (Park City Ice Arena and Sports Complex...continue past the dog park to parking) parking lot and get on the singletrack there (Rambler). Start on Rambler, turn left onto Matt's Flat. Continue past multiple trail crossings, on Matt's Flat all the way to Rademan Ridge where you will turn to the right. Stay on Rademan Ridge until you can take a right turn on Rambler, downhill...at the bottom of the hill, continue UP Rambler on the other side of the valley.
    In a short distance, you have the option of going left on Ramble On, or continuing on Rambler. If you go up Rambler, you will get to the top where you can go down Rusty Shovel and get onto Ramble On to the right, back to the Ice Rink.
    If you don't want the climb, at the Rambler/Ramble On junction I mentioned before, go left on Ramble On and continue clockwise around the hill to the Ice Rink (you will come upon an option on this trail to turn right and go UP Rusty Shovel). About 8 miles and 500 to 800 feet of easy climbing. There are many options in Round Valley!

Interactive map: Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks Just what I was looking for from the age group I am part of. I did this trip last year at the end of September. We did the Crest Trail and mid mountain a couple of different ways. It was great. But this year, I've got a couple of guys who are from sea level and never mountain biked, so looking for an easy introduction. That looks perfect.

Paste eater
    Buff Sinlgetrack in PC??? TOtally awesome place to ride, but I spend 5 days there trying to found noting BUT buff singletrack . Fast, buff and flowy is the name of the game there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think "buff" is a relative term. What is buff for a young guy with tons of mountain biking experience may not appear as "buff" to a guy twice his age who's never been on a mountain bike trail in his life. Just sayin.

Paste eater
    Honestly, the biggest hurdle will be fitness and elevation. If yo can deal with that, I'm certain you and your groupe will have nothing but a great time. I'm not sure i've ever ridden single track so smooth and laid out for both ridiculous amounts of climbing and super fast decents.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Agreed, I have some experience biking PC. Done Crest trail, mid mountain, some RV, and Flying Dog in Glenwild area. Nothing too challenging, but great fun. My main concern was for the guys from Houston with no mountain biking experience. just wanted to make sure they got off to a good start. Especially since we're a bunch of geezers. But geezers still trying to keep active.

mtbr member
    Late 50's?....youngsters!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Touche! I guess it's all relative. Up to a point of course. I sometimes see guys posting that they're not young anymore because they're in their early 40's. Youngsters. I saw a posting of one of your rides up from PC to Crest. I aspire to be in that kind of shape. Even at my relative young age.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stenou View Post
    Touche! I guess it's all relative. Up to a point of course. I sometimes see guys posting that they're not young anymore because they're in their early 40's. Youngsters. I saw a posting of one of your rides up from PC to Crest. I aspire to be in that kind of shape. Even at my relative young age.
    I didn't claim that I did it well! And thanks!