View Poll Results: Is there a demand for adventure friendly accommodations in Park City?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for up to $50/night

2 18.18%
  • Yes, for up to $60/night

3 27.27%
  • Yes, for up to $70/night

1 9.09%
  • Yes, for up to $80/night

2 18.18%
  • No, there is no demand.

3 27.27%
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Budget/Hostel Type Accommodations in Park City

Looking for an opinion here. With the recent explosion of mt bike tourism in the Park City area, I was thinking the other day about the lack of bike-trip friendly accommodations there are in town, as well as the lack of camping in the area. How many people think there is a demand for budget/hostel type accommodations aimed toward the adventure seeking crowd; and what would you be willing to pay for a private room with a few bunk beds for you and your buddies?

mtbr member
    Park City and budget don't go too well together IMO. As you noted, there aren't many accomodations available on the cheap. The same goes for apartments, housing, etc. I kind of think PC likes it that way!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There probably is a market for it.

However I think most of your budget minded people are getting cheap motels on North temple and just driving the 30 minutes to the resorts.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Park City and budget don't go too well together IMO.
    Why not? As a Park City local I live within a budget, and the cost of housing is relatively low compared with other major resort towns. Jackson Hole, which I would consider to be much pricier than PC, has a hostel.

Park City is exploding as a MTB destination. This year I've seen way more people on the trails than every before, and I know there's gotta be riders who want to come ride here but are dissuaded by the lack of camping or affordable hotel options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Different

Jackson does not have a major city anywhere close it it. Closest is Idaho falls which is like 2 hours away. SLC has many hostels and cheap hotels espically during MTB season when all the ski rooms are vacant. MTB'ers also tend to be campers and there is basically unlimited camping in the areas surrounding park city. There may not be very many campgrounds but there are loads of free places to pitch a tent. I think winter would be a better season for a hostel since camping is really not an option for all but the most serious campers.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Jackson does not have a major city anywhere close it it. Closest is Idaho falls which is like 2 hours away. SLC has many hostels and cheap hotels espically during MTB season when all the ski rooms are vacant. MTB'ers also tend to be campers and there is basically unlimited camping in the areas surrounding park city. There may not be very many campgrounds but there are loads of free places to pitch a tent. I think winter would be a better season for a hostel since camping is really not an option for all but the most serious campers.
    This. Plus, Park City has never really catered to the younger, budget dirt-bag traveller (and I use that term affectionately), even in the winter. There are lots of younger resort employees (I used to be one), all crammed together in shared apartments or company housing, but as for the others, PC is happy to let those types come over the hill to Brighton or Alta/Snowbird, and focus on the tourists bringing $$. For the most part, the dirtbag skiier will be more interested in Snowbird or Brighton's terrain, anyway. I've worked with a few city managers and others in charge of the Snyderville Basin rec areas and all of that, and the budget tourist/recreationalist simply hasn't been on their radar.

I guess the fact that trails are exploding with tourist riders, and the fact that those riders probably aren't staying in PC on the cheap, shows that their approach isn't terribly off-base -- they don't appear to need the budget tourist, as they are busy enough.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

CoopsDad
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by a.d.85 View Post
    Why not? As a Park City local I live within a budget, and the cost of housing is relatively low compared with other major resort towns. Jackson Hole, which I would consider to be much pricier than PC, has a hostel.

Park City is exploding as a MTB destination. This year I've seen way more people on the trails than every before, and I know there's gotta be riders who want to come ride here but are dissuaded by the lack of camping or affordable hotel options.
    What are you a realtor?? Just playing but seriously the lack of cheap hotels/hostels is saving us right now. The town and it's new Mtn Bike status, ( Thx IMBA) are already maxed to it's limit. Leave it how it is and let the tourist's pay the high cost of housing. We don't have the open space for camping and the people of PC don't want any Hostels or cheap hotels, it brings the housing values down. Sad but true.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Nope not a realtor but...

Quote Originally Posted by srescigno73 View Post
    What are you a realtor?? Just playing but seriously the lack of cheap hotels/hostels is saving us right now. The town and it's new Mtn Bike status, ( Thx IMBA) are already maxed to it's limit. Leave it how it is and let the tourist's pay the high cost of housing. We don't have the open space for camping and the people of PC don't want any Hostels or cheap hotels, it brings the housing values down. Sad but true.
    Nope, not a realtor... Personally, I would rather see the town full of legit riders, not the disneyland breed of tourist that we are currently inundated with. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing passion for the sport spread and having more people on bikes... but when I'm stuck behind a family of joey's riding blinged out Giant Glory rentals on the Mid Mt, it gets me a little frustrated. I think we'd see the caliber of visiting riders significantly increase if the town was a bit more accessible to a crowd other than the East Coast/California based tourist looking to stay in the Waldorf or St Regis.

Perhaps I'm misrepresenting my vision... I'm not talking about creating some sort of roach motel for crusties passing through, but instead, an alternative to the Best Western, or having to drive from SLC, that's well-designed, budget friendly w/ nice amenities and tailored toward "real" riders. Tahoe's Basecamp Hotel is very similar to what I am thinking: Basecamp Hotel South Lake Tahoe: Lodging, Accommodations, Resort Motel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nope, not a realtor... Personally, I would rather see the town full of legit riders, not the disneyland breed of tourist that we are currently inundated with. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing passion for the sport spread and having more people on bikes... but when I'm stuck behind a family of joey's riding blinged out Giant Glory rentals on the Mid Mt, it gets me a little frustrated. I think we'd see the caliber of visiting riders significantly increase if the town was a bit more accessible to a crowd other than the East Coast/California based tourist looking to stay in the Waldorf or St Regis...
    I've got a feeling the yuppy "disneyland breed of tourist" contribute more to the local economy than the "legit rider" looking to couch surf on a peanut budget. Do you think new trails and other improvements are mostly funded by taco Tuesdays at Del Taco?

As far as the caliber of riders? You'll get every level of trail users, from the big-headed-elite to beginners. It's a public trail system--anyone can use it. It's all part of the sport, in my opinion. Which, by the way, I've never really had any problems letting others go by, or passing others with a courtesy "on your left."

And what you're proposing--making it more attractive/affordable for more riders seems counter-intuitive to your frustrations. You're fed up with being stuck behind people, so you want to make it more affordable for more people to visit and use the trails?

I think we should just all be glad that we've got some great, world-class trail systems within stone's throw from our homes.

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong, I love seeing passion for the sport spread and having more people on bikes... but when I'm stuck behind a family of joey's riding blinged out Giant Glory rentals on the Mid Mt, it gets me a little frustrated. I think we'd see the caliber of visiting riders significantly increase if the town was a bit more accessible to a crowd other than the East Coast/California based tourist looking to stay in the Waldorf or St Regis..
    PC will prefer 1 Waldorf tourist family for every 10 dirt-baggers who would come to town. The last thing PC cares about is the caliber of riders on its trails. Not really a good business model (for PC in general, or for the person who invests in the hostel).
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

CoopsDad
    Oct 2005
    Well put! I would love to have a quality good of riders coming here as well but it's never going to happen. PC is the Disneyland of ski towns! We continue to W*ore ourselves out in the sake of tourism! It's very sad what PC has done but I still enjoy it here but also realize we are the type of town that attracts the joey's! Even the typically local that lives here, has a certain attitude. Nice place to live, but it is very unique in many ways... Good and bad

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nope, not a realtor... Personally, I would rather see the town full of legit riders, not the disneyland breed of tourist that we are currently inundated with. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing passion for the sport spread and having more people on bikes... but when I'm stuck behind a family of joey's riding blinged out Giant Glory rentals on the Mid Mt, it gets me a little frustrated. I think we'd see the caliber of visiting riders significantly increase if the town was a bit more accessible to a crowd other than the East Coast/California based tourist looking to stay in the Waldorf or St Regis.
    Interesting thread overall, but the above quote seems way off. You're not going to change the demographic of rider with a budget motel/hostel. Park City and its wine festivals and art events is always going to attract that "disneyland breed of tourist" - that's basically what it is. One budget hostel isn't going to suddenly change it into Moab North.

I would say PC is desperately in need of some budget lodging, but more for the winter than the summer. It's easy enough to stay outside of PC proper in a budget hotel or campground and drive in during the summer, especially if you're combining it with other riding/activities. Less so in the winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How many people think there is a demand for budget/hostel type accommodations aimed toward the adventure seeking crowd; and what would you be willing to pay for a private room with a few bunk beds for you and your buddies?
    The old phrase "if you build it, they will come" probably holds true here. While the tourism board of PC may not target the same audience, I'm sure there are plenty who would take advantage of more modest accomodations. As the number and variety of trails in town continues to grow, so will the audience for something like this.

As others have mentioned, PC will not suddenly become "Moab North" but more options in town can only be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWE View Post
    I would say PC is desperately in need of some budget lodging, but more for the winter than the summer. It's easy enough to stay outside of PC proper in a budget hotel or campground and drive in during the summer, especially if you're combining it with other riding/activities. Less so in the winter.
    Kind of off topic, I suppose, but I think the PC skiier/tourist is as interested in the PC experience as he/she is in the skiing. The ski valets, the perfectly groomed runs, the apres ski and gourmet restaurants. I worked at DV for a couple years, and the skiing is almost just an excuse to come. People who ski DV and PC spend as much time (and more money) on Main St. as on the ski slopes.

The budget traveller who prefers the skiing over the atmosphere is going to go to Big or Little Cottonwood canyons, not PC.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    I'd say yes. Although in the summer the cost of a hotel like the Yarrow isn't generally any worse than a semi-decent hotel anywhere else. If it was cheaper per person than $20 a night it would do well enough, especially if PC continues to focus on bringing in national music, like String Cheese which did a pretty good job of filling the cheaper rooms around town.

A lot of summer temp outdoor jobs have bases and travel through PC. Such as at least one wilderness therapy company where you get young adult counselors needing places to stay periodically.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    I'd rather not have to share the trails with more tourists.

But I do believe a serious budget lodging in Park City would do well, perhaps more so in the winter than the summer.

Kind of off topic, I suppose, but I think the PC skiier/tourist is as interested in the PC experience as he/she is in the skiing. The ski valets, the perfectly groomed runs, the apres ski and gourmet restaurants. I worked at DV for a couple years, and the skiing is almost just an excuse to come. People who ski DV and PC spend as much time (and more money) on Main St. as on the ski slopes.

The budget traveller who prefers the skiing over the atmosphere is going to go to Big or Little Cottonwood canyons, not PC.
    ^^^ Agree 100%.

While i was living in the East for 6 years i had a timeshare in the cliff lodge and not once ventured to park city to ski. Now living here and been over there, i dont regret it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Yeah and no. I don't disagree that most tourists visit PC, and especially DV, for the full ski town experience. But I don't think that budget dirtbag-style skiers would avoid it en masse if there was [any] cheaper lodging available. Some of those skiers still like to party and have access to an actual town, and PC is the only place to do it while enjoying UT powder. Plus, while PC doesn't have the natural terrain that's over the ridge, it does appeal to the park/pipe crowd.

I've considered spending a night or two in PC to party myself, only to say f it when I found out all the rooms were well over 100 bucks. Give me an option that's ~$50 to $75, combined with the free day-of-arrival skiing when friends visit, and I'd probably be there once a season, instead of never. It may not be LCC or Jackson, but I think it could support a hostel.

That being said, PC probably isn't interested in muddying up its pristine [wealthy] family image, so I doubt it really wants a hostel or budget hotel. And there's still couch surfing for those that want to do it cheap.

mtbr member
    That being said, PC probably isn't interested in muddying up its pristine [wealthy] family image, so I doubt it really wants a hostel or budget hotel. And there's still couch surfing for those that want to do it cheap.
    This is the other part. I imagine that a dirtbag hostel would be met with a fair amount of opposition, albeit lowkey and fairly underground, from many, especially near where it would be built. Don't want that element hanging around and harrassing the dudes in Bogner ski suits or women in $25k worth of animal furs!

I have a couple relatives in the DV upper management, and was on speaking terms, at least, with a couple higher-ups (got offered a job and help with education to go to cullinary school and come back and manage food services, actually). Several independently mentioned to me that the year that a magazine (around 1998 or so, I think) published that DV may consider allowing snowboards on part of the mountain, the calls were 100 people demanding cancelation of their reservation for every person applauding the decision.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Yeah and no. I don't disagree that most tourists visit PC, and especially DV, for the full ski town experience. But I don't think that budget dirtbag-style skiers would avoid it en masse if there was [any] cheaper lodging available. Some of those skiers still like to party and have access to an actual town, and PC is the only place to do it while enjoying UT powder. Plus, while PC doesn't have the natural terrain that's over the ridge, it does appeal to the park/pipe crowd.

I've considered spending a night or two in PC to party myself, only to say f it when I found out all the rooms were well over 100 bucks. Give me an option that's ~$50 to $75, combined with the free day-of-arrival skiing when friends visit, and I'd probably be there once a season, instead of never. It may not be LCC or Jackson, but I think it could support a hostel.

PC park and pipe is honestly not that much better or even worse than my local resort i found in PA. Snow blows just as much in the east as it does here. I would have to say that Killington's parks are better than utah the years ive been to both. There is a reason a lot of pros learned to ride/ski for freestyle in the east. that is all there is to do there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I don't ride park, so no personal comment, but PCMR used to rank regularly as a top freestyle destination. It seems to have dropped off a bit the past five years or so with mountains all over the map investing more into park/pipe. It still has a pretty big, progressive park system, though. It also has a history of hosting major events, and I'll bet it could support a pretty defined park rat culture if it was interested.

As for snow blowing as much in PC as in the east, I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm sure you're not saying the snow is equivalent to PA.