Beemer2
    Dec 2005

Bryce Canyon area

The wife and I will be in Bryce Canyon for a few days next month and I'd really like to rent a bike and ride an easy trail (old, fat, amitious) or two, can someone point me in the right direction? Do they rent racks, helmets, etc. what all do I need? I live in New Orleans and never been west so that's why this sounds kinda stupid I guess. I have the desire just no knowledge, please help.

Gravity Tester
    That part of Utah lacks both easy trails and well stocked bike shops. Cedar City is the closest "big" town (still not that close or that big) where there might be something to rent. You're also pretty high up and there is a definite possibility that some trails might still be under some snow.

Check out www.utahmountainbiking.com for trail descriptions sorted by geographic area. Thunder Mountain is a gorgeous trail, and close (ish) to Bryce but it's not an easy ride for a "fat, old, flatlander". Navajo Lake might be your best bet.

Beemer2
    Dec 2005

Changed to Moab

Thank you for the information, we have three days and nights in Moab already reserved and I read that there are trails for all levels out there and a lot more shops to rent bikes from so I think we'll try that. Do you know of any shops there? Can bikes be reserved ahead of time? I'll go to the site and see if I can get any more answers, first times are always the hardest!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Beemer- Check the Moab Trip Planner at the top of the Utah forum... should help a lot with these questions. Have fun! Moab is great.

JMH

Gravity Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer2
    Thank you for the information, we have three days and nights in Moab already reserved and I read that there are trails for all levels out there and a lot more shops to rent bikes from so I think we'll try that. Do you know of any shops there? Can bikes be reserved ahead of time? I'll go to the site and see if I can get any more answers, first times are always the hardest!
    Poison Spider bike shop in Moab is hard to beat - great folk there who can give you riding recomendations, provide maps and even shuttles if desired. They carry a wide selection of rentals and it is advised that you make reservations. Just Google Poison Spider bicycles and you find thier site. There's an online form you can use to make rental reservations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bryce

+1 to Navajo Lake, but May is still a bit early in the season and you might have snow. It's a pretty easy ride.

Just outside of Bryce there is a section of the Great Western Trail that is a pretty (and pretty easy) ride. You'll have to put up with ATVs, but I've taken my 10-yr old daughter on it with no trouble.

Carefully of the elevation up there. It'll get you if you aren't used to it.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss
    That part of Utah lacks both easy trails and well stocked bike shops. Cedar City is the closest "big" town (still not that close or that big) where there might be something to rent. You're also pretty high up and there is a definite possibility that some trails might still be under some snow.

Check out www.utahmountainbiking.com for trail descriptions sorted by geographic area. Thunder Mountain is a gorgeous trail, and close (ish) to Bryce but it's not an easy ride for a "fat, old, flatlander". Navajo Lake might be your best bet.
    I agree that Navajo is one of the easier Cedar area trails but Navajo will not be ridable in a month, unless there is a major heat wave. Brian Head rents bikes, but won't be open for bike rental in a month either.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.