Thread: Brianhead

mtbr member

Brianhead

Looks like the park will open on the 23rd. I am curious what the winter weather was like up there. Last year it seemed to be end of July before Dark Hallow and Blowhard were cleared of downed trees due to high winds.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    I rode bunker yesterday and several guys hit Dark Hollow. All was clear.

pants on head retarded
    Is second left hand road open over to Sydney peaks? Don't want to send my shuttle astray

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Any idea what the trails are like from the lifts? Last year in the early season they were real muddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle10 View Post
    Any idea what the trails are like from the lifts? Last year in the early season they were real muddy.
    Gonna be there next week Mon-Fri....curious to know this as well. A buddy rode Bunker today and said it was perfect....will get an update on Dark Hollow tomorrow but that's the only report I have for now.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle10 View Post
    Dry and dusty will be much more likely.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    Last weekend it was very dry and dusty

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was there Sunday and things were great. No mud at all. A little dry and dusty but not bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am suppose to go and ride bunker creek with a group of 16-18 year old boyscouts this saturday and was planning on doing dark hollow after the group ride. However, it looks like some storms are in the area. Does anyone think that these trails will be too sloppy to ride on Saturday?

mtbr member
    Rode Bunker today and it was fast and hella fun. Weather on the east side of BH peak was cool with scattered light drizzles, but arrived back to BH town to 1-2" of melting snow. Really variable and unpredictable is about all I could say about the weather here for the next few days.
    Last edited by Thor Lord of Thunder; 07-12-2012 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Can a bike rider go to Brian Head and ride the trails without using a shuttle? If so what would you suggest as a ride? I ride a Turner 5 Spot and like cross country to intermediate trails no extreme downhill.

thanks-Kelly
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    Can a bike rider go to Brian Head and ride the trails without using a shuttle? If so what would you suggest as a ride? I ride a Turner 5 Spot and like cross country to intermediate trails no extreme downhill.

thanks-Kelly
    I would suggest Scout Camp Loop, which can be done from the town without a shuttle. There is also Lowder Ponds, which also can be ridden from town by going up the Color Country Trail to the Brianhead Peak Trailhead, or started at the Peak Trailhead.

You will find very good maps and trail info at http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

Go to the Cedar City and Southern Plateau section under Trails.

I know people that ride Bunker Creek as a loop, although I won't suggest doing it on a weekend.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth at this point, been raining off and on here since the afternoon. Monsoon season looks like it's settling in nicely, at least for this weekend.

mtbr member
    It looks like no riding up there this weekend. Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    thanks crashtestdummy for the link and information

Thor Lord of Thunder when does the monsoon season usually end for that area?
    Last edited by Mr. D; 07-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Hard saying, but typically 2-3 weeks for southern UT. Just depends on the year!
    Last edited by Thor Lord of Thunder; 07-13-2012 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Should add...is variable day to day, weekend to weekend...there is some hella good hero dirt to be had when things are moist, but also some serious damage to be done when things are too moist.

mtbr member
    I will keep tabs here, because I really do not like to ride on muddy trails hard on the trail and bike.

I am spoiled living in the Las Vegas desert area when it rains the trails get real tacky and the
    dust is almost gone.

mtbr member
    Yeah that's normally how things are here, just nice and tacky after a rain. But a string of rainy days gets things saturated...things have been so dry and dusty here this summer we need a bit though!