mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Brian Head to Thunder Mtn?

Heading out to Park City for a week in July and plan on hitting up the Brian Head area for 3 days on the way home to SoCal. I've never been to Brian Head but know the one trail I MUST do is Thunder Mountain over by Bryce Canyon...how far is the drive over to Thunder Mtn from Brian Head. The information online that I've found is all over the place...one site says 23 miles, another says 77 miles and 2 hours drive time. Is the road super sketchy or something?

mtbr member
    Can't tell you the mileage, but I can tell you a place to base out of that makes it simple to hit BH one day and Thunder Mountain the next.
    I've based out of Navajo Lake-camping, casual singletrack around the lake, ez access to the VRT.
    Ride Brian Head one day, ride the Lake and VRT Loop the next, 3rd day do Thunder MTN.
    There is another ride in the area that I'd consider a must do-Cassidy/Losee loop or something like that. There is a guide book version that puts you on fireroad/two track/ and a sandy wash as well as a MUCH better version that has you doing a moderate climb on fireroad and then singletracK ALL the way back to the trailhead. It's one of the best "adventure" rides I've ever done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Cool. thanks for the heads up. That is great info.

I'd rather be biking...
    I googled it for you:

Let me google that for you

However, it sends you the long way. I would go this way to save way more time.
    From Brian head take hwy 143 to Panguitch then 89 South to Hwy 12 into Red Canyon.

Not sure what your planning on riding or bringing for a bike. The trails outside the resort are great. I would def. recommend them. The resort not so much. Although I have friends that love the place, I find the shuttle trails more worth the time.