tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

brian head / dark hollow

looking for some area info.

Will be riding Brian Head and Dark Hollow, maybe Bunker Creek, for the first time later this month.....I'm coming from CA

I own a Uzzi VPX (older version), and a Knolly Chilcotin......which bike is better suited for the park and Dark Hollow?

the person I'm riding with has been there before a few times. I'm trying to fing some info/videos/pics of the park and DH, but not really having a whole lot of luck. Any insight what to expect?

thanks for any info you can pass on.

-tep
    Last edited by tep; 07-20-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

I'd rather be biking...
    bring the knolly. It will work out best for everything.

You will like the Uzzi if you concentrate more on the lifts but if you do bunker/dark/ and blowhard and a few lift runs the Knolly is the winner.

All the trails off the backside of the peak are great all-mountain trails

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Shelbster, thanks for the reply.

My buddy was saying the top of DH, and a couple runs at the park are pretty rocky, if that is the case would you still go with the Knolly over the Uzzi?

Sorry to second guess your answer, I just recently got my Knolly less than 2months ago and would kind of like to see what it's capable of doing -vs- my Uzzi which I have ridden at well known comparison/places such as Whistler a couple times, Bootleg and Mammoth and know what it is capable of.

I guess sight unseen, trying to figure out the new (unknown) vs old (well tested).

Thanks again for any extra insight you can send my way,
    -tep

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by tep View Post
    Shelbster, thanks for the reply.

My buddy was saying the top of DH, and a couple runs at the park are pretty rocky, if that is the case would you still go with the Knolly over the Uzzi?

Sorry to second guess your answer, I just recently got my Knolly less than 2months ago and would kind of like to see what it's capable of doing -vs- my Uzzi which I have ridden at well known comparison/places such as Whistler a couple times, Bootleg and Mammoth and know what it is capable of.

I guess sight unseen, trying to figure out the new (unknown) vs old (well tested).

Thanks again for any extra insight you can send my way,
    -tep

There is a 50 yard section of chunk similar to Bootleg at the start of DH. The rest is all mountain style riding and 6 miles of doubletrack coasting at the bottom. Brian head lifts are rocky/chunky and loose with shale that require a lot of bike handling to plow through.

Uzzi is ideal for the lift trails but overkill on the trails off of the lift.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Ahhhhhh, that makes more sense to me.

I think I'm going to bring my Uzzi, and just pedal slowly when I have to. It pedals pretty well for it's size and weight. Though it sounds like overkill for the trails, I'm sure once the trail points down it'll still be fun.

Looking forward to my trip.

Thanks for the advice and insight.
    -tep

RHRF!
    Here's a few vids from our last group trip there... and we're headed back in Sept! The Knolly will kill on these trails! IMHO...

Blow Hard, Brian Head Utah from Steve Connolly on Vimeo.

Brian Head Bike Park from Steve Connolly on Vimeo.

Brian Head...Paradise 2010 from Scott on Vimeo.

Right Fork from Mark Jenness on Vimeo.

Hendrickson Lake Trail Brian Head from Mark Jenness on Vimeo.

"The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro View Post
    Here's a few vids from our last group trip there... and we're headed back in Sept! The Knolly will kill on these trails! IMHO...
    Titusbro, very cool. Thanks for the videos.

I really liked the Right Fork and Hendrickson, scenery looked really cool, with some fast steep descents. Are those easy to find/locate?? and do you shuttle them??

We are staying in Duck Creek.

My uzzi was giving me problems seating the Stan's, then I had a problem with the cassette, followed by my disc rubbing in a loud and grinding sort of way. So I figured the three strikes law came into effect, making the Chilcotin the bike of choice .

I don't know where you live, but if you live in Utah, Brian Head area, I'm trying to find information on Blowhard....would you happen to know the condition of the trail, and if the road is open. I heard from my friend it was closed, but posts here say differntly.

-tep
    Last edited by tep; 07-23-2012 at 03:58 PM.

I'd rather be biking...
    Blowhard is open and ride-able.

Hwy 14 is closed during the week for construction to fix a major landslide that happened last fall. They open it on the weekends. Starting Friday 7pm to Monday 7am. You will have no problems shuttling and riding blowhard on the weekends. During the week you can bail out early on crystal springs or on the dirt road you cross over towards the end of blowhard or you will have to ride to the bottom of Blowhard to the Hwy and pedal up the road for 1 mile to the Gate which will be closed that cuts off traffic. The gate is just below woods ranch and there are places to park and have lunch, etc.

Dark hollow can be rode 3 different ways.

1. Dark hollow all the way down to the bottom
    2. A couple miles down take the Hendricksen Lake trail down(left turn) (Adds maybe a mile? and is the way we usually ride it if we are only doing it once that day.)
    3. Take old dark hollow aka paradise canyon (not marked last time I was up there but it is a faint trail that goes down and off to the right a 100 yards before you get on the doubletrack. It's the only right you can take. A hundred yards or so past the rocky descent once you drop into DH. Its just after the first small hump you have to pedal up once you drop in.
    Last edited by shelbster15; 07-24-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typo

RHRF!
    Titusbro, very cool. Thanks for the videos.

I really liked the Right Fork and Hendrickson, scenery looked really cool, with some fast steep descents. Are those easy to find/locate?? and do you shuttle them??
    Yes and yes. The trails off of the top of Brian Head Peak all lead away from the mountain. Right/Left Fork take you almost all the way to Panguitch.

We are staying in Duck Creek.
    Man, I love Duck Creek! We stayed in the campground for the first couple trips to BH - circa 1995/1996!

I don't know where you live, but if you live in Utah, Brian Head area, I'm trying to find information on Blowhard...
    shelbster15 is 'The Man' for all things on Southern Utah mountain biking!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    Blowhard is open and ride-able.

Hwy 14 is closed during the week for construction to fix a major landslide that happened last fall. They open it on the weekends. Starting Friday 7pm to Monday 7am. You will have no problems shuttling and riding blowhard on the weekends. During the week you will have to ride to the bottom of Blowhard to the Hwy and pedal up the road for 1 mile to the Gate which will be closed that cuts off traffic. The gate is just below woods ranch and there are places to park and have lunch, etc.
    SR 14 opens at 5 pm on Fridays. The best info on SR 14 is here: Restore S.R. 14—A UDOT Project

You can also ride Blowhard by turning left on the double track before you get to the very bottom. This will take you out to the SUU mountain cabin, which is just above the highway closure gate.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Thank you for all the info, I'm really looking forward to new dirt!

Another question for you......is there a trail map of the area I can get off the internet, to get some kind of idea where all this is? My friend knows the area, but I a "map guy" and just wanted to get a feel for the area and how all these trails link together.

I'd rather be biking...

NMBP
    Thank you for all the info, I'm really looking forward to new dirt!

Another question for you......is there a trail map of the area I can get off the internet, to get some kind of idea where all this is? My friend knows the area, but I a "map guy" and just wanted to get a feel for the area and how all these trails link together.

There are good trail descriptions at Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

Go to Cedar City and Southern Plateau.