Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 53
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,065

    Bonneville Shorleine trail

    Anyone ridden any section of the BST lately?? just wondering if it is rideable

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    549
    I work by the BST near Red Butte. Anything that's shaded has some snow and anything on the north side of a hill still has lots of snow.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Not even close.

    I have been riding up memory grove on the pavement, and following the road up to the water plant, and there is still lots of snow. Like a Foot. There is still standing snow on the parts of the trail I can see from the road. I think it will be at least a few weeks before the northern BST is ready. I don't know about the cornor canyon area.
    I also have been riding the road up to ensign peak, and trying to ride that fire road up to the radio towers. As of 2 days ago I was able to ride like .5 miles up it before hitting snow. That road is in the sun basically all day, and what snow was left was only a couple inches.
    What about Lehi?? anyone been riding five mile pass?
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    I have been riding up memory grove on the pavement, and following the road up to the water plant, and there is still lots of snow. Like a Foot. There is still standing snow on the parts of the trail I can see from the road. I think it will be at least a few weeks before the northern BST is ready. I don't know about the cornor canyon area.
    I also have been riding the road up to ensign peak, and trying to ride that fire road up to the radio towers. As of 2 days ago I was able to ride like .5 miles up it before hitting snow. That road is in the sun basically all day, and what snow was left was only a couple inches.
    What about Lehi?? anyone been riding five mile pass?
    Instead of helping with an answer...I have a question: How much of a ride do you get out there at 5 Mile Pass? My last trip left me thinking: why did I come out here? Seems like I did something like a 12 mile counter clockwise loop heading south from the parking / pavement - basically double track with some atv wide track. Am I missing some riding out there? My dirt biking buddies made fun of me for going out there too...and I did feel conspicuous in my spandex. I'll try to find out about the conditions, one of the dirt bikers did head out there last weekend.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Lots of snow in City Creek BST. It might be fine to ride in the early AM before the sun hits it. The City Creek Ensign Peak trail is great in spots, a bit muddy in other spots. I'd say stay off of it after the sun has its' way with it.

    Corner Canyon is in pretty good shape. Still lots of snow, but you can find dirt/sand to ride on. Probably the best bet in the valley if you want to get off the snow and onto soil.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    I rode the section from provo canyon to springville today....except for the start in in provo it was complety snow free

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918
    No I don't think you are missing anything that is about all that I know of out there. I usually ride the Icup course, and think it is soso at best. I just need places to ride for conditioning sake. I am sick of riding up and down the paved road in city creek. Double track is better then road.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: connie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    No I don't think you are missing anything that is about all that I know of out there. I usually ride the Icup course, and think it is soso at best. I just need places to ride for conditioning sake. I am sick of riding up and down the paved road in city creek. Double track is better then road.
    There's actually some nice singletrack out there but it's a ways out. I've only ever ridden out there on my dirt bike, and don't know where the ICUP course goes so it'd be tough to describe where it is. Although I'm getting a little desparate myself and have done a couple day trips to Fruita and St. George recently and might head out there myself on a regular bike.

  9. #9
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    It's still a bust. I checked out the Zoo end with chuky and there are still many puddles but not much snow. Check back in a week and that section double-track should be okay. We didn't ride ANY of the singletrack because it looked too sloppy.

    Yesterday I rode up behind Huntsman to check on Dry Gulch and there is still snow on the road, which means it's a mess on the trail.

    I also took a jaunt up Mill Creek and the Plow Drifts are head high past church fork, Rattlesnake is packed snow at the bottom.

    Looks like it's going to be quite a while before we are riding dirt in SLC.

    Drive south, I guess. That's what we are doing.

    JMH

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    I was able to ride

    The double track sections from the Zoo all the way to popperton park yesterday with very minimal mud exposure yesterday. I also rode the nature park trail up to ensign peak with only a couple muddy sections.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    143
    you can ride from the B in Bountiful to Farmington canyon along the foothills. it is dry and has a mix of singletrack and dirt roads. It's not bad riding for this time of year.

  12. #12
    Lev
    Lev is offline
    You Guys Riding?
    Reputation: Lev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    605
    Took a trail run from Huntsman today up Red Butte. The conditions were looking pretty good! Definitely saw a handful of riders out there today and they looked like they were enjoying themselves. I'm curious what Bobsled would be like right now. Catch22 and I were talking about heading up there with the dogs for a recon mission tomorrow or Thurs. I think the conditions are going to be returning to mud with the upcoming storms though. Powder!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    The double track sections from the Zoo all the way to popperton park yesterday with very minimal mud exposure yesterday. I also rode the nature park trail up to ensign peak with only a couple muddy sections.
    Yup, I did the same, zoo to dry creek and back, not bad. Dry creek's gonna be a while. bobsled? you do know that's a run-off creek, right?
    QUESTION: What's the name of the trail on the north side of red butte canyon? I've been riding that thing for a decade and I still don't know it's name.

  14. #14
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    Rode Virginia to the Zoo yesterday - everything was dry with 3 major exceptions:

    - that section of trail behind Huntsman in the gully( the one with the cut-off trail/whoop, if that makes sense) the original trail is washing out into the rider-created cutoff - this trail bench will probably have to be re-dug.

    - the re-route down by Red-Butte creek. Super muddy, drainage obviously not well planned by the people who set it up. Not really even trail, but still, what a mess.

    - the top of the trail right above that fun section of turns just to the south/east of the red butte fence, might want to avoid this entirely for bit longer.

    Still, it was nice to get some dirt under the wheels...
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    126
    Any updates on the Zoo to City Creek section? Looks like it's going to be pretty warm out there this weekend. Sure would like to get out.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,657
    as for the southern end in Draper, I rode there last night, and it was pretty rideable, at least the stuff that wasn't on the north slope. It was easy to see that those trails were still under lots o' snow.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    I rode Draper S. Mtn shoreline monday and tuesday nights. Did you see the signs they posted last night about the mtn. lion killing the moose....yikes....spooked me for being out there alone.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    316
    Mmmmm. . . . . fresh meat!

  19. #19
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    for those who just need to ride something different, the City Creek road is clear and dry up to the plant. Not dirt, but at least it isn't Wasatch again.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  20. #20
    over researcher
    Reputation: royta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    I rode Draper S. Mtn shoreline monday and tuesday nights. Did you see the signs they posted last night about the mtn. lion killing the moose....yikes....spooked me for being out there alone.
    You more than likely don't look anything like a moose. I'm guessing that mountain lions would rather kill deer, and even moose, over a human. In Utah, where hunting mountain lions is allowed, I'm hoping human beings are something to be feared by a mountain lion. Now, if this were California, where mountain lions are protected, mountain lions have no reason to fear human beings. I'm probably wrong though. No, not about you not looking like a moose.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    33

    Draper BST

    Is the BST dry from Mike Weir out to the glider park?.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by utahposer
    Is the BST dry from Mike Weir out to the glider park?.
    Last Saturday (3/15) I rode corner canyon and Mike Weir down to Highland. There were a few big snow drifts that will take a while to melt. I didn't head to the glide park because I figured the drifts would be worse. Overall good riding though.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    You more than likely don't look anything like a moose. I'm guessing that mountain lions would rather kill deer, and even moose, over a human. In Utah, where hunting mountain lions is allowed, I'm hoping human beings are something to be feared by a mountain lion. Now, if this were California, where mountain lions are protected, mountain lions have no reason to fear human beings. I'm probably wrong though. No, not about you not looking like a moose.
    Moose, no. Skunk...well, my wife tells me I smell like one.

    I always tell myself that the mtn lions would rather kill other things, and that the big lights on my helmet and bike might spook them. I'm not a hunter, so I never considered the hunting vs. protected thing...that makes me feel a bit better...if it's true.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    I rode Draper S. Mtn shoreline monday and tuesday nights. Did you see the signs they posted last night about the mtn. lion killing the moose....yikes....spooked me for being out there alone.
    Yeah, I saw them, and I kept thinking "I hope a mountain lion can tell the difference between a moose and me!"

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,657
    Hey qtip, were you the one I talked to as I was finishing my ride and you were starting on monday? I was getting into my super old Honda Accord, if that helps. Just curious. It's always neat to realize that the people posting here are just that, real people!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Hey qtip, were you the one I talked to as I was finishing my ride and you were starting on monday? I was getting into my super old Honda Accord, if that helps. Just curious. It's always neat to realize that the people posting here are just that, real people!
    That was me. I'm still jealous of your Accord....very nice. I was too dumb struck by the Accord that I didn't pay attention to your bike...shame on me. I was on my Kona cyclocross....good times.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    That was me. I'm still jealous of your Accord....very nice. I was too dumb struck by the Accord that I didn't pay attention to your bike...shame on me. I was on my Kona cyclocross....good times.
    Cool! Like I said, it's neat to know that these post are by real people. I did notice you were on a cross bike though! I was on my spec epic. I'm sure I will see you out there again. I have been out there a few times since then as well. It's the best riding in the valley right now!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    33

    BST from zoo to cc

    so whats the BST like from the zoo to cc?? Looks dry up there from Sandy.
    Thanks

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Pretty Good

    The trail is rideable all the way from the Zoo to the Radiotowers west of city creek. Dry Creek is not dry, but rideably wet, and there are a few super muddy sections in the shade on your way to bobsled, but you can get a ride in there for sure.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  30. #30
    Lev
    Lev is offline
    You Guys Riding?
    Reputation: Lev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    605
    Anyone here been up Dry Creek lately? Dun, dun, dun... and Bobsled... I'm assuming they're too shaded to be dry, but I was just curious if anyone as any info. Tks

  31. #31
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Anyone here been up Dry Creek lately? Dun, dun, dun... and Bobsled... I'm assuming they're too shaded to be dry, but I was just curious if anyone as any info. Tks
    Lev,

    I rode from the Zoo over to City Creek yesterday afternoon.
    Dry Creek is 99.9% dry until you get to that last left hand, steep switch back towards the end. There are two muddy/snowy patches between that turn and the lookout over the old salt kilns. The rest is fast and tacky.

    From that lookout over to the first entrance to the Bobsled, there are about 4 muddy/snowy sections. One is pretty bad and you'll probably have to hike it. The others are just long and super muddy with snow along the inside edge. The Olympic Hill climb is dry, but it looks like that trail along the ridgeline above it is covered in a good amount of snow.

    From the mellow entrance of the Bobsled over to City Creek you'll encounter some small muddy patches and one fairly large and deep (1 foot) patch of snow on one of the climbs. You can probably ride that section if you're coming from the City Creek side as you'll have momentum on your side, but it's too deep and long to try and climb it.

    It still needs some time. I'd say about 5 good days of 60+degree weather to melt it out.

  32. #32
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    For those not familiar with the mud up on BST - it is the kind that sticks to your bike, adds 30lbs and has to be scraped off in order to get your wheels to turn.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  33. #33
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    For those not familiar with the mud up on BST - it is the kind that sticks to your bike, adds 30lbs and has to be scraped off in order to get your wheels to turn.
    It wasn't that bad. It was soupy, but nothing was clumping up and sticking. You'll get dirty but it's not going to bog your bike down. After 300ft of riding fast the mud shed off my tires completely.
    I think you're refering more to the dirt over by the Zoo and the Roller Coaster/lower trail that is now as wide as a highway, that turns to silly putty when the ground is saturated.

  34. #34
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    Nope, definitely re-living the one ride I mistakenly did up top last year when the trail was too muddy to ride... I know exactly where that mud was. :-)

    Good to hear it isn't that bad right now, though. Thanks!

    And you are right - what is up with that massive trail widening above the school? The worst part is that they put in water bars and water channels - classic trail building mistakes that just aggravate erosion problems. Oh well.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  35. #35
    Lev
    Lev is offline
    You Guys Riding?
    Reputation: Lev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    605
    Awesome. Thanks for the good info SLC! I'm definitely looking forward to getting out on those trails. I spent about an hour tuning up the bike for the spring, and it's finally ready to go. Got me excited for the biking season

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,565

    Bobsled

    I rode Bobsled Monday night. There was no snow and maybe 20 yards total of wet, splattery mud. Seems to have been a fair amount of traffic already.

    BST in general from the radio tower above Ensign peak to Bobsled is at least 99% dry with only a few patches of snow and soft mud.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I rode Bobsled Monday night. There was no snow and maybe 20 yards total of wet, splattery mud. Seems to have been a fair amount of traffic already.

    BST in general from the radio tower above Ensign peak to Bobsled is at least 99% dry with only a few patches of snow and soft mud.
    I rode from zoo to city creek last night ( tuesday ) If you are really good about it, you would probably avoid the few muddy sections. If you are like me, and hate yourself for doing it, but can't turn around once you are all the way up there, you'll just keep going. the muddy spots are few and pretty short. ( biggest wet section is right by the "new/newly re-discovered" drop in for the bobsled ) There were about a million people out there, so the "everyone else is doing it" excuse works good too.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,565
    I hear ya. My other excuse is that there is more precip on the way this week that will melt all the ruts. Still feel a little guilty, but I was in the same boat last year and all the muddy sections recovered nicely. There is so much traffic I guess that that everything gets a thorough beat down.

    I rode up on a trail worker on Bobsled and figured he was going to at least give me the stink-eye, but he was cool.

  39. #39
    Bend, OR
    Reputation: Ross W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    620
    Zoo to City is pretty good. Dry Creek is *****in'

    Yeah, about 3 muddy/snowy spots up high between Bobsled and top of Dry Creek, everything else is prime.

    edit: I can't say *****in?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,657
    Well, it was all dry until this morning!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I hear ya. My other excuse is that there is more precip on the way this week that will melt all the ruts. Still feel a little guilty, but I was in the same boat last year and all the muddy sections recovered nicely. There is so much traffic I guess that that everything gets a thorough beat down.

    I rode up on a trail worker on Bobsled and figured he was going to at least give me the stink-eye, but he was cool.
    So spill it - how was bobsled - I avoided, thinking it would be wet. Has the water not started flowing yet?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    So spill it - how was bobsled - I avoided, thinking it would be wet. Has the water not started flowing yet?
    Ok, I did the bobsled last night. I parked at Popperton Park and rode up Dry Creek. That was pretty good, even despite the snow earlier in the day. I didn't really encounter snow until halfway between the saddle and the bobsled entrance.

    Bobsled. The upper part was really gooey. It was hard for my tires to keep any traction at all, as the pottery clay goo was extremely slick! However, the lower part is good to go, and that upper part should be good too, once it dries in a few days.

    This picture was the worst of the snow on the trail. Sorry for the quality. Cell phone pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

  43. #43
    Bend, OR
    Reputation: Ross W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    620
    Anybody ridden it recently? How is it since the last snow, I haven't dared to go up there yet?

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pop_martian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,657
    I was down in Draper last night. I started at the equestrian park and headed up toward corner canyon road. I was all good until you reach the first gate up there. After that, anything that faces north is covered in snow still and not rideable at all.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

  45. #45
    Bend, OR
    Reputation: Ross W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    620
    BST from the Zoo to City Creek is fine, just two short muddy spots.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Feeble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3
    Rode City Creek / Ensign Peak loop Saturday and it is clear except for the one muddy/snowy spot that usually lags a few weeks behind the rest of the trail.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    256
    Forget SLC for now the rain and snow is still on its way. Head south to the desert where we have been riding for over a month.

  48. #48
    Waiting for Godot
    Reputation: OilcanRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,003
    snow on ground most of trail from zoo going north today. pray for sun.
    Out riding, leave a message

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    snow on ground most of trail from zoo going north today. pray for sun.
    I rode the whole trail from a little south of Red Butte to City Creek on Sunday. Maybe 150 ft. total of soggy trail. There was one section of trail just south of the juntion with Bobsled that was still snowy -- I'm not exactly sure what the deal is there. There is another short snowed over section just south of the drop down towards the dirt jumps. Everything else even, deep in Red Butte and Dry creek, was already dusty.

    It has snowed/rained since, but I would be suprised if the trail hasn't recovered and then some by this weekend. Might be in better shape with a little more moisture.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    So spill it - how was bobsled - I avoided, thinking it would be wet. Has the water not started flowing yet?
    Late resoponse, but at the time there was very little snow left to melt. The muddy spots were wet, but not soft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •