Natty Dread

Bonneville Shoreline Ogden Conditions

Hey MTBR Utah friends. I've been out of town for a month. I know it snowed last night into this morning, but I have no idea what has been going on. Looking to ride the BST in Ogden possibly on Sunday. Assuming it's good to go but perhaps I am wrong. Thanks in advance.

A God Without A Name
    A friend of mine was out there a few days ago and said it needed a lot of maintenance. He hopes to hike back out and and do some work on it. If anyone else has some info I'd like to hear it!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Three weeks ago it was great. Two weeks ago it was not. Many people rode too soon after a storm we had. It became very rutted by bikes and hikers. I even saw horse footprints on the Rainbow trail (didn't know they allowed them). I also saw ATV marks on Birdsong trail. It shouldn't take too long to dry out after this last snow, but it does need a good few days of warm weather.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Rode it Tues. Apr. 3rd, from 22nd to waterfall canyon. It was in great shape, the ruts were gone and no mud, but after the storm Fri. all bets are off. There seems to be a lot people that enjoy the heck out of riding mud and "F"ing up the trails because they are "real mountain bikers".
    Please let the trails dry out first.

A God Without A Name
    Yeah, I rid rigid so ruts are murderous to me. xD

I really want to get out on that trail though! If I want to head north on BST from 29th, how do I get on it?

The trails there all seem to point south.

Natty Dread
    Thanks guys. I dont ride sloppy trails at the expense of others. Buff single track is the way to go. Unless of course it's technical!

Natty Dread
    Going to try to ride from Rainbow south today. Will report back.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Rode BST South; it was fine. The trail needs some maintenance but it was 99% dry.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I even saw horse footprints on the Rainbow trail (didn't know they allowed them).
    I saw those too... I don't get pissed off at much, but that made me almost blow a gasket.

Horses aren't allowed on the Shoreline. Thank god. The amount of damage horseback riders cause at the 'basin in the early season and after storms is inexcusable. It's obvious that a lot of them just don't give a rat's ass about other trail users. I hope they end up banning them there entirely.

I really wish more bikers would just wait a day or two after a storm before hitting the trail... I mean, I get why people don't do it. I don't enjoy having to spin on my trainer or riding on the road either, but I hate messing up the trail even more.

Thankfully, it's not much of an issue later on in the season.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG View Post
    I saw those too... I don't get pissed off at much, but that made me almost blow a gasket.

Horses aren't allowed on the Shoreline. Thank god. The amount of damage horseback riders cause at the 'basin in the early season and after storms is inexcusable. It's obvious that a lot of them just don't give a rat's ass about other trail users. I hope they end up banning them there entirely.

I really wish more bikers would just wait a day or two after a storm before hitting the trail... I mean, I get why people don't do it. I don't enjoy having to spin on my trainer or riding on the road either, but I hate messing up the trail even more.

Thankfully, it's not much of an issue later on in the season.
    The Bird Song trail property is owned by the homeowner at the end of Filmore St (maybe they have horses?). Rainbow Gardens owns the property that the Rainbow trail rests on; I guess it could have been them? I also noticed what appears to be a new illegal trail off the Birdsong trail (jumps, etc).

Natty Dread
    BST was great yesterday road from Birdsong to Bues and back. Met Rodney from the Weber Pathways group who hooked us up with some maps and tips on the Facebook page with conditions. Very cool and awesome to hear good stuff in the works, trail wise, for the Ogden area. Look forward to doing more riding up there.

Natty Dread
    Anyone been up to the BST in Ogden today? It was pretty dry last week. Though I know it rained a lot up north yesterday. Wonder if the trail drank the water or puddled it up. Dying to get back out on a ride.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I live a few bloscks from the trail head and there was snow on my car till late this morning. So, no It's probably not ready to ride. Usually takes a few days with these temperatures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If it doesn't rain again tonight, you guys think Shoreline/Dry Creek/Bobsled will be o.k. tomorrow (Wednesday 4/18)?
    I need to try out my new bike!!!!!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Unfortunately, I saw people hitting the trail today. It was pouring this morning. It's also supposed to rain the next two days. Saturday should be good? What bike did you get? I'm on an old Truth-say Hi if you seem me up there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 29er. Pics are in my gallery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rain, rain, go away....
    Hope to get out Saturday....

over researcher
    If I can't talk my wife into letting me go to Moab, I'll b checking out BST in Ogden on Saturday...as long as it doesn't rain on Friday. This will be a first time on BST for me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post
    S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 29er. Pics are in my gallery.
    Grats on the new bike! I love my Comp Carbon 29er.

Hopefully it doesn't rain anymore today... So we can finally get on the trails again tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Rode BST in Salt Lake yesterday starting across from the zoo. First part was completely dry. There were some wet areas in the beginning of Dry Creek. Did Bobsled as well - the second half of the "new" entrance was really sloppy wet. Several other riders at the start and the person I was with were hopeful that it wouldn't have been bad, so we tried it. Probably best to avoid it a little longer. A short section of Bobsled after the junction with the "old" section also a bit wet, but not bad. Overall, great ride.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Good to know! Ogden BST was fine yesterday. Thinking of doing a nite ride tonight on the Ogden South BST if anybody's interested?