Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bike Shops in Moab, Advice for kids

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RichardB 
#1 ·
I'm headed for a S. Utah vacation next week. My son is 11 and races some sport xc, and I race expert xc. We would like to rent bikes in Moab and check out the practice loop on slickrock, and other local trails fun for an 11 year old. We only have a day or two before the rest of the family declares a mutiny.

What is your favorite shop to rent from (Moab Cyclery, Chille, P.Spider???) Any suggested trails for a reasonably technically proficient 11 year old who has limited endurance compared to an adult? We want to keep it fun this early in the year... Thanks!!

#2 ·
It kind of depends on what you want to rent brand wise. We were just down there about 2 weeks ago, and as I remember....

Rim Cyclery had mostly Specialized bikes to rent

Moab Cyclery had Ellsworth and a couple others

Don't remember what Chille's or Poison Spider had

Slickrock Cycles had mostly Giants and a Intense spyder I think

I also don't know what they had for kids sized bikes.

Probably best to just drop them a email and ask what they offer to rent, one of our riders rented a Spec. Epic from Rim Cyclery and a Ellsworth Joker from Moab cyclery. I can say that between the two Rim Cyclery gave ya a free water bottle, and if you used the spare tube you didn't get charged, and they said minor crash scratching etc. would not be charged. Also if you decided to buy the bike, your rental fee went to the purchase price. At Moab cyclery you got charged for the spare tube if used, any damage at all, etc. Both shops seemed competant and went through the bike before giving it to us and such. If I remember right both places required their rental bikes to be back by 5pm. Price was pretty much $40-50 per bike per day.

Klondike is a fairly short out and back trail that isn't too demanding, Amasa back isn't too bad it's a good climb to start but it's not too steep or long, can be technical in sections but it's a nice ride back down, without being too long of a ride. I'd say if he does okay on the practice loop of slickrock he will do fine on Amasa back or Klondike.

Todd

#3 ·
RichardB said:
I'm headed for a S. Utah vacation next week. My son is 11 and races some sport xc, and I race expert xc. We would like to rent bikes in Moab and check out the practice loop on slickrock, and other local trails fun for an 11 year old. We only have a day or two before the rest of the family declares a mutiny.

What is your favorite shop to rent from (Moab Cyclery, Chille, P.Spider???) Any suggested trails for a reasonably technically proficient 11 year old who has limited endurance compared to an adult? We want to keep it fun this early in the year... Thanks!!
Poison Spider rents Titus, maybe some others.

For Trails - slickrock is always good - puts you on fun stuff right away. Bartlett wash is a ways out of town, but is also good. Klondike Bluffs is not hard, but is a fun ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.