mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Best way to link these trails together

I will be making my first trip (solo) to Moab. I fly into SLC on Saturday the 17th then drive to Moab. I am hoping to get my bike rented and ready for Sunday as my first full day of riding. I have all day Sun, Mon, Tues, and Wed. (have to checkout of the hotel Wed but I am hoping I can still ride all day and then head back to SLC that night...hopefully stopping somewhere with dark skies and a scenic views for a timelapse)

I am hoping to ride as much as I can and after searching the forum I think I've found the ones I'd like to try.

My question is how to fit the best ones in and in what order...I expect I probably won't be able to do all of them but it'd be great to hit what I can... I'm bringing 2 dslrs and 2 gopros for some video shooting around the scenic areas since I just got into editing so I'd imagine that will slow me down a bit.

*TWE: (heard that it's snowed in above LPS. Would love to be able to shoot some snowy mtb if it can be done safely somewhere) Burro Pass, Hazard, Kokopelli, UPS, LPS

*Mag7: Bull Run, Arthís Corner, Little Canyon ST, Gold Bar, Golden Spike, Poison Spider, Portal Trail

*Sovereign, *Amasa Back

I think those are the must dos??

And these are the other ones I read about or saw that looked awesome (also open to suggestions)

Deadmanís Ridge, Killer B, Pipe Dream, Jackson single track, Rockstacker, Chili Pepper DH, Bartlett Wash, Megaladon, Daveís, Hells Canyon, Moonlight meadow.

Are any of these other trails snowed in?

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    My wife and I are headed there this morning. Last I heard, on Monday the 12th from Uranium bicycles, was that they were dropping shuttle people at LPS, snow above that.
    I'll post again when we hit town and get some rides in.

Your Best Friend
    Check out The Skid Map. It's a great site with easy to use trail downloads.

Paste eater
    Last system dumped a bunch of snow in the La Sals. There was snow on Porcupine Proper. I do not know what the latest shuttle drop of is. Sadly, I think if you get LPS your lucky. I would not recommend going higher. UPS with snow sounds like a death wish and KoKo will either be to deep to ride or clay muck gumbo and totally unrideable.

Megladon is illegal and crazy technical.

Rockstacker/Jacksons is the DH alternative to doing an out and back on Amasa. It's also very technical and exposed.

Moonlight and Hells canyon are covered in snow.

Mag7 is clear and ready to ride. Check in with a shop for a shuttle.

Deadmans, bar b and many of the other trails you mentioned are part of the Brand trails and can be done together as most of them are quite short.

Then only main riding area you haven't touched on would be the Klondike area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Last system dumped a bunch of snow in the La Sals. There was snow on Porcupine Proper. I do not know what the latest shuttle drop of is. Sadly, I think if you get LPS your lucky. I would not recommend going higher. UPS with snow sounds like a death wish and KoKo will either be to deep to ride or clay muck gumbo and totally unrideable.

Megladon is illegal and crazy technical.

Rockstacker/Jacksons is the DH alternative to doing an out and back on Amasa. It's also very technical and exposed.

Moonlight and Hells canyon are covered in snow.

Mag7 is clear and ready to ride. Check in with a shop for a shuttle.

Deadmans, bar b and many of the other trails you mentioned are part of the Brand trails and can be done together as most of them are quite short.

Then only main riding area you haven't touched on would be the Klondike area.
    Good summary jwind.

To the OP: If you get a shuttle up to LPS you could always ride up UPS until the snow or mud got too unmanageable then turn around.

Here's what I would do with four days in Moab:

Day 1: Mag 7 to town either coming down Portal or Poison Spider to finish depending on your desire for tech.

Day 2: TWE as high as they'll take you then ride up further until snow or mud stops you.

Day 3: Amasa/Rockstacker/Jackson's with an out and back to the arch. If you're still feeling spunky go do Slick Rock Trail in the PM.

Day 4: Brand trails loop in the AM then a Klondike/BabySteps combo to finish on your way out of town time permiting. (There's a couple good threads around here somewhere that describe the best loops for those areas).

Have fun.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Good summary jwind.

To the OP: If you get a shuttle up to LPS you could always ride up UPS until the snow or mud got too unmanageable then turn around.

Here's what I would do with four days in Moab:

Day 1: Mag 7 to town either coming down Portal or Poison Spider to finish depending on your desire for tech.

Day 2: TWE as high as they'll take you then ride up further until snow or mud stops you.

Day 3: Amasa/Rockstacker/Jackson's with an out and back to the arch. If you're still feeling spunky go do Slick Rock Trail in the PM.

Day 4: Brand trails loop in the AM then a Klondike/BabySteps combo to finish on your way out of town time permiting. (There's a couple good threads around here somewhere that describe the best loops for those areas).

Have fun.
    Stellar and slightly masochistic - just the way it should be .

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    boardguru, thanks so much! Hope it's a fun ride!!

Silentfoe, thanks man! That helps a ton! One of my fears is getting lost!

Jwind, wow thanks for the details! I will have to double check and see if I need to hit some of the Klondike trails.

Krob, sweet man thanks! I am going to try and map all of those out with the link from Silentfoe.

Holy crap I'm getting excited thanks again for the help!! Looks like more research for me!!

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    They started to shuttle to LPS on Sat. still some snow on the ground but ridable. It rained a bit this morning, so that may affect the shuttles again. We rode Magnificent 7 and 7 Up the three days we were there, both Mag 7 and 7 Up are in great shape, and a Blast to ride.